LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04-06 Sealed Transmission fluid change interval? (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-19, 08:51 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I've done 4 to date. 3 is the conventional wisdom, leaving 19% old. So again conventional wisdom says don't wait until burnt, so that 19% was not spent at the time it was left behind.

But then I wonder. Say look on YouTube and a guy is having his Acura TSX tranny pulled out to replace seals, and while it's out, they do absolutely nothing to the tranny itself. It's out of the vehicle. Prime time to do anything it needs, it needs nothing. At 530k.

Wouldn't it be interesting if people here stepped up and said, "I'm at 370k, never so much as touched my tranny fluid." They wouldn't, because likely they'd be afraid of the flames. But what I'm saying is wouldn't it be cool to know, it never really even mattered (if that's the case). It's kind of like the extended warranty debate, you never hear from people who bought it and got nothing, literally no repairs, like I did, on my 2007 BMW. You only hear from the Doug DeMuros of the world but it skews real data and misinforms.
Old 11-16-19, 09:20 AM
TominPT
Instructor

Received 238 Likes on 181 Posts

^^^ I think Johnhav430's spot on. I think there is a bias in forums like this, where people post their problems/issues but not their successes. I would not be at all surprised to hear people with 200,000, 300,000 or even more miles on the original transmission fluid in an LS430. From my perspective, why risk it? The procedure does not take long, is easy with the correct tools, doesn't cost that much if you DIY, and gives some peace of mind, even if all it is is a placebo effect.
The following users liked this post:
bradland (12-19-19)
Old 11-16-19, 10:12 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I've done 4 to date. 3 is the conventional wisdom, leaving 19% old. So again conventional wisdom says don't wait until burnt, so that 19% was not spent at the time it was left behind.

But then I wonder. Say look on YouTube and a guy is having his Acura TSX tranny pulled out to replace seals, and while it's out, they do absolutely nothing to the tranny itself. It's out of the vehicle. Prime time to do anything it needs, it needs nothing. At 530k.

Wouldn't it be interesting if people here stepped up and said, "I'm at 370k, never so much as touched my tranny fluid." They wouldn't, because likely they'd be afraid of the flames. But what I'm saying is wouldn't it be cool to know, it never really even mattered (if that's the case). It's kind of like the extended warranty debate, you never hear from people who bought it and got nothing, literally no repairs, like I did, on my 2007 BMW. You only hear from the Doug DeMuros of the world but it skews real data and misinforms.
I worked for a Lexus dealership for 2.5 years and to my knowledge they’ve never actually serviced the transmission fluid on a customer’s car before. I asked a few of the Master techs and they heard of people changing the fluid but nobody at the dealer has ever done it. One of the techs got an 06 LS a while back and we were discussing changing the fluid out on our cars but never got around to it. We see tons of LS430’s in the shop and it’s rare for them to have transmission issues from what I saw.

I’ve seen a few high mileage 04-06 LS’ come in but they were very beat up. As far I know they usually needed other services done and never transmission stuff.
Old 11-17-19, 03:36 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I worked for a Lexus dealership for 2.5 years and to my knowledge they’ve never actually serviced the transmission fluid on a customer’s car before. I asked a few of the Master techs and they heard of people changing the fluid but nobody at the dealer has ever done it. One of the techs got an 06 LS a while back and we were discussing changing the fluid out on our cars but never got around to it. We see tons of LS430’s in the shop and it’s rare for them to have transmission issues from what I saw.

I’ve seen a few high mileage 04-06 LS’ come in but they were very beat up. As far I know they usually needed other services done and never transmission stuff.

SA at my dealer said she's replaced one 6spd auto from one LS430 out of all the years she's been there.

Agree you could probably drive these cars to 300k on original fluid, but I had a "fluid exchange" done at 120k. Peace of mind, even if it's pointless to do.
Old 11-17-19, 08:53 AM
Catalina45
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jyqureshi
Hey guys,

Just joined this forum, bought a 2005 LS430 a few months ago with 115k miles on it, it has about 127K miles on it now.
About a couple of weeks ago the transmission started to shift harshly, and as the cold weather sets in, it has gotten worse.

I would like to get the transmission flushed, but don't have the physical resources to do it myself.

I would really appreciate if anyone could recommend an honest mechanic in the Bethesda, MD area or in around Tysons Corner, or someone at a Lexus service center who is not on "Corporate Autopilot".

Thanks
Would someone be so kind as to recommend a service facility in the area stated above?

If a simple drain and fill doesn’t solve the problem then he can search for “SAIC” to have his TCM rebuilt(or other recommendations).
The following users liked this post:
jyqureshi (12-18-19)
Old 12-18-19, 02:10 PM
jyqureshi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't gotten around to do it just yet, switched job, moved to Bethesda into a rental with no garage, need to sell the old house.
I would first try the TCM rebuilt before I go the route of ATF drain+refill, and if it fixes the jerkiness around 2nd gear, then it will rule out the ATF being old.

It would be great if someone could recommend a good and honest shop around Bethesda or Tyson's area that can do a TCM rebuilt, it would be appreciated immensely.

Last edited by jyqureshi; 12-18-19 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-19-19, 08:06 AM
Catalina45
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I doubt anyone local can repair the TCM outside of a Lexus dealer simply replacing it. Why don’t you call SAIC and talk to them. If they will repair it then ask the forum for detailed instructions on how to R&R the TCM?
Old 12-20-19, 06:13 AM
jyqureshi
Driver School Candidate

Hey Catalina45,

Thanks for the reply, after reading another thread about SIA Electronics, I will go with them as my first option: http://siaelec.com/product-category/...repair-return/
Old 12-20-19, 06:26 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I doubt it but just make sure this place doesn't handle it. I used them for BMW ABS and back then it was $249 with a 5 yr. warranty and they corrected the design defect. Knock on wood 3.5 yrs later no issues and their customer service was off the hook. Back in 2016 8 pages of testimonials (I mean the dealer got $4,200 for the job in 2016) I can only imagine there are more today.

https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/
Old 12-20-19, 11:49 PM
jeroly
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jyqureshi
Hey guys,

Just joined this forum, bought a 2005 LS430 a few months ago with 115k miles on it, it has about 127K miles on it now.
About a couple of weeks ago the transmission started to shift harshly, and as the cold weather sets in, it has gotten worse.

I would like to get the transmission flushed, but don't have the physical resources to do it myself.

I would really appreciate if anyone could recommend an honest mechanic in the Bethesda, MD area or in around Tysons Corner, or someone at a Lexus service center who is not on "Corporate Autopilot".

Thanks
I don’t know for a fact whether they do this particular service (although I will soon... I have an ‘06 with 113k miles on it for which I want to get the ATF replaced in the near future for the first time) but I’ve been pretty happy with White Flint Auto Repair both for quality and honesty (I’ve taken vehicles in that I thought had problems and was told not to spend my money unnecessarily on things like, e.g., a pricey head gasket replacement)

Last edited by jeroly; 12-20-19 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-12-20, 02:30 PM
bbtri
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

After 2 drain and refills and struggling to get that upper 10mm bolt back in I thought there's got to be a better way. The hose on a transmission fluid pump is too big to fit through the overflow tube so I inserted a piece of brake bleed tube into the pump tube. With that I was able to refill the pan through the overflow tube. I jacked up the car on the passenger side to tilt the car so fluid wouldn't come out while I was filling it.
Old 01-12-20, 04:20 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Just curious. What ATF did you use?
Old 01-12-20, 10:02 PM
bbtri
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gebo
Just curious. What ATF did you use?
I used Valvoline Maxlife synthetic. It meets the Toyota spec and others have had good results with it. It's my 3rd drain and fill with it.
Old 01-13-20, 03:19 AM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The Supertech bottle caused me some alarm.
Old 01-13-20, 06:19 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jeroly
I don’t know for a fact whether they do this particular service (although I will soon... I have an ‘06 with 113k miles on it for which I want to get the ATF replaced in the near future for the first time) but I’ve been pretty happy with White Flint Auto Repair both for quality and honesty (I’ve taken vehicles in that I thought had problems and was told not to spend my money unnecessarily on things like, e.g., a pricey head gasket replacement)
Long story short, I wholeheartedly agree on indies providing quality and honesty. And I think they do a better job than the dealer. A dealer with a discount coupon is like half price sushi on Tuesdays.

imho having used indies for both BMW (a tire mount/bal for $30 whereas BMW got $80/ea) and Lexus, I have respect for the right indies when you find them.

On the BMW AAA gets $25/wheel because the rears are 35 series, and BMW $80. Indie got $30--my main concern was scratching the rims, Goodyear destroyed 4 on another car claiming "you try mounting 40's on those rims and tell me you can do it without scratches!" huh? I ask can you install my TPMS? Sure. I go to pick up my car on a $127 job, it's in the shop being bucket washed by 2 people. That's integrity. Then one day when I wanted evidence to bust the BMW dealer for breaking my car, they gave it to me lol

On the Lexus, same experience. Tech will talk to me on phone. Let me walk under my car on the lift. Tell me we don't unnecessarily replace parts unless you want us to waste your money. Talk to customers and some have been going there for 30 years. They do better work than the dealer. Have the same equipment.

I was just watching a 4.7 Tundra timing belt job, and the tech on YouTube laughed, he installed the pulleys and forgot the water pump. He's human. But, the way he was doing everything else, wiping down, carefully aligning, they have an incentive. REPUTATION. Dealer has no such incentive.

Quick Reply: 04-06 Sealed Transmission fluid change interval? (The Mother thread)