LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Too late for Synthetic Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 01:44 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe I do it too often, but I use Valvoline, Penzzoil, or Amsoil if I can find it -- All full synthetic about every 4,000-5,000 miles.

All my miles are highway... rarely in town.
Old 04-07-10, 07:19 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveM
Maybe synthetic feels smoother than regular when comparing how it feels when it's been used and is badly needing a change. And how does AMSOIL support their claim of 30K+ on the same oil? That has always sounded like a late night informercial assurance of product capability
AMSOIL has been around for 40 years or so and has had a lot of firsts in Synthetics. They have had their 25,000 mile interval I believe since they came out with their 1st synthetic. I'm sure if they had failures they wouldn't still be around. Word gets around fast when you start having engine failures.. One of my local auto parts stores are doing the 25,000 mile intervals on their employee vehicles and are getting the oil analysis done throughout and said to be getting good results.
Old 04-07-10, 10:22 AM
musicman1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My BMW 540i has the computer that tells you when to change full-synth oil based on your driving style. It generally comes on at about 11,000 miles. Since the Lexus is driven the same way, I use the same interval. I use either Exxon 1 or whatever major brand of 100% synthetic is on sale. Don't think it makes a bit of difference.

On filters, Consumer Reports did a scientific test a few years back and discovered that Fram filters caught smaller particles than the other tested brands. That has been good enough for me.
Old 04-07-10, 02:47 PM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is great info... thanks!
Old 04-09-10, 07:22 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveM
Maybe synthetic feels smoother than regular when comparing how it feels when it's been used and is badly needing a change. And how does AMSOIL support their claim of 30K+ on the same oil? That has always sounded like a late night informercial assurance of product capability
If a person could "feel" the "roughness" in an engine due to lack of lubrication, whatever parts are causing that probably wouldn't last more than a few minutes in operation.

Here's something from another thread on this general subject:
I use "synthetic" oil in my vehicles, but frankly I don't really know why I do in the Lexus vehicles. I do not believe that synthetic oils offer significant real-world longevity benefits vs. a top quality conventional oil for 95% of users. Particularly so long as the oil is changed often enough -- say, 6K miles or maybe more, depending upon the driving habits. This is contrary to what most people beleive after years of marketing and advertising by Mobil 1, Royal Purple, and the like, but from what I see from experts who don't have a financial interest in promoting synthetic oils, I believe it to be true.

I can't count the number of 200K+ mile engines I've encountered that were run on conventional oil. For example, my family has two trucks -- 5.7 liter GMC and 5.9 liter Dodge -- with 270K and 240K miles, respectively, and both engines still run perfectly well, neither has ever had a lubricated engine part replaced, and both have been on the "lowly" Pennzoil conventional oil their entire lives. How long will they continue to run? Don't know. Would they run longer on synthetic? Perhaps. I'm sure one could post on a Mustang or Camaro site and find hundreds of similar examples from guys who have such vehicles in their families, and probably post on the Toyota board and find some with 2X that kind of miles. But bottom line is, modern engines will run a LONG, LONG time on a good conventional oil.

I also find it interesting that Blackstone Labs, http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ people who make their living analyzing oil, say:
What's the best oil to use?Ah, the million dollar question. We are an independent lab, so we don't make recommendations. It has been our experience that oil is oil, and either petroleum or synthetic-based oil will work well for just about any engine.

Come on, you're holding out on me. I should use synthetic, right?
Buddy, you should use whatever you want. Synthetic oil won't guarantee a longer engine life any more than my eating organic food will guarantee I'll live until I'm 90. We here at Blackstone generally use regular petroleum-based oil because honestly, it works just as well for us.

Also a LOT of interesting reading in their newsletters, FAQ and tech articles:
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/newsletters.php
Old 04-09-10, 07:54 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

"Synthetic motor oils are more sludge resistant than their petroleum counterparts, resisting the effects of high temperatures and oxidation. In the presence of high temperatures, two things happen. First, an oil's lighter ingredients boil off, making the oil thicker. Second, many of the complex chemicals found naturally in petroleum basestocks begin to react with each other, forming sludges, gums and varnishes. One result is a loss of fluidity at low temperatures, slowing the timely flow of oil to the engine for vital engine protection. Further negative effects of thickened oil include the restriction of oil flow to critical areas, greater wear and loss of fuel economy.

Because of their higher flash points, and their ability to withstand evaporation loss and oxidation, synthetics are much more resistant to sludge development."

from: http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-chang...ynthetic-oils/
Old 04-09-10, 10:09 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DDLexus
"Synthetic motor oils are more sludge resistant than their petroleum counterparts, resisting the effects of high temperatures and oxidation. In the presence of high temperatures, two things happen. First, an oil's lighter ingredients boil off, making the oil thicker. Second, many of the complex chemicals found naturally in petroleum basestocks begin to react with each other, forming sludges, gums and varnishes. One result is a loss of fluidity at low temperatures, slowing the timely flow of oil to the engine for vital engine protection. Further negative effects of thickened oil include the restriction of oil flow to critical areas, greater wear and loss of fuel economy.

Because of their higher flash points, and their ability to withstand evaporation loss and oxidation, synthetics are much more resistant to sludge development."

from: http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-chang...ynthetic-oils/
The problem with marketing literature like that Amsoil link is that they don't provide much perspective against which to gauge their claims. They talk about sludge, which despite the Castrol advertising hype, really is NOT an issue in a huge majority of engines on the road if they are maintained decently, and they talk in terms of more this, less that, greater this, reduced that, without any scale of reference or proof of its real-world worth. I'll bet if everyone on this site listed every vehicle that they know that has gone 250K miles or more on the engine, a huge percentage of those vehicles would be using conventional motor oil. That doesn't prove that synthetics aren't technically better, but the fact is that they aren't necessary at all in order to acheive long engine life.

Again, I think the Blackstone Labs site provides a lot of good info, and I tend to think they are pretty unbiased. I automatically discount marketing literature from the synthetic oil supliers. There is undoubtedly some truth in it, but of course they are trying to feed their families and share holders, so they are going to build the best case they can for their flagship products.
Old 04-09-10, 12:06 PM
DDLexus
Racer

OK... good point about "marketing literature". Here's another one from JD Power. Hope this appears to be more "scientific" if you question the AMSOIL.

"Over time, petroleum-based oils began to oxidize and create sludge, leaving damaging residue inside the engine."
and
"Synthetic oil performs admirably in heat, but also offers many benefits in extreme cold. Petroleum-based motor oil thickens in cold temperatures, requiring the starter and battery to work much harder to start a cold engine. Synthetic oil is not as affected by low temperatures, and it will flow much easier at engine start-up. As an added benefit, the cold temperature properties allow it to be quickly pumped throughout the engine, offering much improved start-up protection against friction."

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/article...tic-Motor-Oils
Old 04-09-10, 12:47 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Not to beat this to death, but the JD Power stuff looks like a repeat of synthetic oil marketing collateral as well. This is what I do for a living (consumer products marketing) and I can't tell you how many times I see magazine articles, news articles, etc., that are just a regurgitation of marketing collateral or PR materials packaged as if the writer did their homework and brought you some wonderful insight.
Old 04-11-10, 11:36 PM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

.......Over time, petroleum-based oils began to oxidize and create sludge.........

..........Synthetic oil performs admirably in heat.......
"Over time" Please describe "Over time". A week? A year? 10 years?

The heat tests I have seen that prove synthetic performs in heat better than regular oil have been done at extreme temperatures.... temperatures way beyond what your engine will ever see....unless of course you overheat...and then synthetic oil isn't going to save you.
Old 04-12-10, 06:51 AM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

That was also interesting about the Fram filter catching smaller particles than the others. I wonder what the ohers were, what year that study was done and if they all had the same construction. I've seen plenty of posts online that open up the filters to show how this one uses metal and good paper elements and this other one uses cheap cardboard, etc. FRAM always comes out losing in those tests because it uses the crappiest construction materials. HOWEVER... those guys never continue the test to show the performance of the filters! Perhaps this is one of those instances where being overbuilt doesn't mean better performance?
Old 04-12-10, 07:27 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Based on my experience with my old LS400, I'd have to agree with much of this. At 18 years old and around 85k miles, I switched to synthetic oil. After around 1500 miles, the rear main seal started to leak. My thoughts at what happened is that the synthetic cleaned away the gum and varnish that had built up around the seal(s) using dino oil and the seal started to leak because it had lost its flexibility over the years... After an additional 2k miles or so on the synthetic (Mobil 1), the seal stopped leaking. A assume the seal conditioners in the synthetic helped to recondition the seal and give it back some of the flexibilty it had lost over the years.

I blame gum and varnish build up around the seal from dino oil for eventually stopping the seal from getting lubrication. Then the synthetic cleaned the build-up away and exposed a brittle / less flexible seal to fresh oil. It took a couple thousand miles for the Mobil 1 to help recondition it. The leak has completely gone away now. This experience alone is reason enough for me to use synthetic in all my cars, snow blower, tractor, etc...
Old 04-12-10, 07:46 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Originally Posted by JimsGX
This experience alone is reason enough for me to use synthetic in all my cars, snow blower, tractor, etc...
I feel the same way about using it in other motors... my Honda lawn mower, boat, pressure washer, and cars all use synthetic.
Old 04-12-10, 07:52 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Why's are you all using: 0-30 or 0-40 snythetic oils and why not 5-30 ?
Old 04-12-10, 08:45 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JimsGX
I blame gum and varnish build up around the seal from dino oil for eventually stopping the seal from getting lubrication. Then the synthetic cleaned the build-up away and exposed a brittle / less flexible seal to fresh oil. It took a couple thousand miles for the Mobil 1 to help recondition it. The leak has completely gone away now. This experience alone is reason enough for me to use synthetic in all my cars, snow blower, tractor, etc...
I don't know how to account for your temporary oil leak, but I can almost assure you that you did NOT have enough gum and varnish to obstruct oil flow to your main seals. I've disassembled and built several engines, and seen many others in process and I've never seen any extensive buildup in the main seal area on a decently-maintained engine (as I'm sure your LS400 is) using modern non-synthetic oils (anything in the top SFI classifications for the past 25+ years). I think someone started giving that "gum and varnish" explanation years ago and it stuck, but if you look at actual main seal areas, there isn't anything there in reality.

Quick Reply: Too late for Synthetic Oil?