LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

The dealer I went to uses 5w20 oil on all of its Lexus cars

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 10:35 AM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The dealer I went to uses 5w20 oil on all of its Lexus cars

does anyone else get 5w20 at their dealership? The Lexus of Glen Cove Shop foreman told me that Lexus did a study and that they now recommend 5W20 oil in its vehicles. He said that they use that type of oil on all of the vehicles that they service at that dealership
Old 04-12-10, 04:32 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Ask your dealer to show you the TSIB that says that -- there absolutely has to be one if this is a really a Lexus corporate edict. If you get a copy, please scan it and post it on this thread.

Last edited by Kansas; 04-12-10 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-12-10, 05:14 PM
george1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I think this might be the TSB you are looking for.
Attached Thumbnails The dealer I went to uses 5w20 oil on all of its Lexus cars-oil_tsb.jpg  
Old 04-12-10, 07:29 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ours is UZ right, but then the TSIB still says to "use the recommended grade specified on the oil filler cap" ... so which is it? Use 5w30 or 5w20?
Old 04-13-10, 07:08 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

IMO, they are trying to standardize and minimize the oil that dealerships need to carry, so they are blessing the new lighter weight oil that the newest engines use for use in older engine designs. I assume it's "okay," or else they wouldn't bless it, but I feel more comfortable using the oil weight (30) that was recommended when our engines were designed, back before there were any other pressures to approve another oil (20). By allowable specifications, 0w20 and 5/20 can be much thinner at normal operating temperatures than 5w30 or 10w30.

And even the TSB contains cautions about the ability of the 20 weight oils to maintain effective lubrication for some engines. Our UZ engine family isn't part of that caution, but still, it does raise the topic since they specifically note that it isn't satisfactory for other engines that were originally spec'd for 30 weight oil.
Old 04-13-10, 07:17 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/5w20oil.htm and http://www.synlube.com/sae5w-20.htm have some interesting articles about 5W-20. I am still OK with the dealer using 5W-20 in my car.
Old 04-13-10, 07:27 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/5w20oil.htm and http://www.synlube.com/sae5w-20.htm have some interesting articles about 5W-20. I am still OK with the dealer using 5W-20 in my car.
Not that those articles are gospel, but a quick scan seems to indicate that neither is a fan of 20 wt. oil. For example, the synlube link says "you get 1% better fuel economy and 30% shorter engine life."
Old 04-13-10, 10:03 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

I think I will listen to lexus........Im sure they still want their LS running past 200k to show their quality
Old 04-13-10, 10:42 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Vpanin
I think I will listen to lexus........Im sure they still want their LS running past 200k to show their quality
Are you saying that you are going to listen to what they wrote in that somewhat vague and semi-contradictory TSB, or listen to what they said back in the day when there was no motivation to standardize the oils in their dealerships now that the new, under-warranty vehicles are switching to 20 weight oils for fuel mileage purposes? That TSB isn't very compelling, IMO. It doesn't instill much confidence with its semi-contradictory notes and comments about using what the owners manual and filler cap recommends, some engines making "noise" with 20 weight, etc.

Another fact, whether it's an actual factor here or not, is that Toyota has a difficult time getting dealers to use Toyota branded (ExxonMobil supplied) engine oil (and to a lesser extent, other fluids) instead of whatever they may have a good hook-up for locally. Many dealers use other brands, and it's a constant battle to get dealers to go with Toyota oils and fluids. This TSB thing could have something to do with that effort as well, IMO.
Old 04-14-10, 04:46 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Wonder what the dealer would charge if you brought your own oil in for the oil change? I may try that.
Old 04-14-10, 05:43 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Wonder what the dealer would charge if you brought your own oil in for the oil change? I may try that.
I do my own oil changes but I happen to know that my two local dealers will let you supply your own oil. I don't know how much discount they give on the oil change though.
Old 04-14-10, 09:24 AM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Are you saying that you are going to listen to what they wrote in that somewhat vague and semi-contradictory TSB, or listen to what they said back in the day when there was no motivation to standardize the oils in their dealerships now that the new, under-warranty vehicles are switching to 20 weight oils for fuel mileage purposes? That TSB isn't very compelling, IMO. It doesn't instill much confidence with its semi-contradictory notes and comments about using what the owners manual and filler cap recommends, some engines making "noise" with 20 weight, etc.

Another fact, whether it's an actual factor here or not, is that Toyota has a difficult time getting dealers to use Toyota branded (ExxonMobil supplied) engine oil (and to a lesser extent, other fluids) instead of whatever they may have a good hook-up for locally. Many dealers use other brands, and it's a constant battle to get dealers to go with Toyota oils and fluids. This TSB thing could have something to do with that effort as well, IMO.

I was never a DIY person when it came to oil. My dealer charges 49.99 for an oil change which is basically the price for oil, washer and filter and a wash so I never seen a need for sliding under the car. Other places where I can save money I do myself. Just did my brakes according to the forum intructions and it went great. I guess I will just have to use the oil that the dealer gives me.......
Old 04-14-10, 11:57 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

It seems that they'd have other oil on hand -- at least 10w30, anyway -- for those vehicles that come in that aren't supposed to use 20 weight. Surely they'd use that oil if someone specifically requested it.
Old 04-14-10, 05:24 PM
BC Rider
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to disagree with the dealer.

I read that TSB literally. It states:

"Applicable vehicles: 2006 model year Lexus vehicles."

"Use the recommended viscosity grade specified on the oil filler cap...."

So in other words NOT APPLICABLE for my car (it is not a 2006) in the 5W-20 version.

Perhaps they make ILSAC GF-4 oils in other viscosities.
Old 04-15-10, 09:18 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Vpanin
I was never a DIY person when it came to oil. My dealer charges 49.99 for an oil change which is basically the price for oil, washer and filter and a wash so I never seen a need for sliding under the car. Other places where I can save money I do myself. Just did my brakes according to the forum intructions and it went great. I guess I will just have to use the oil that the dealer gives me.......
My dealer stocks synthetic oil and they just charge you the difference in oil price if you prefer it. No need to take your oil with you for an oil change. I can't see running around to purchase and carry oil to the dealer. They make it easy and not terribly expensive.

Quick Reply: The dealer I went to uses 5w20 oil on all of its Lexus cars