LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What to pay? '04 with 30k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 05:26 PM
mark98ls40
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to pay? '04 with 30k miles?

Its a pretty base model, no nav, but does have heated/cooled front seats.
Color is crystal white with tan perf. leather.
Local one owner car with service records from dealer.
Tranny & fuel pump replaced @ 1k miles
Dealer wants 25k. (Not Lexus dealer)
Thinking of 22k for an offer?
Good deal or does the lack of options really lower the value?
Old 04-12-10, 05:45 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought my 05 custom luxury with 30.5K miles for $25.5K in February. BMW dealer was asking $26K. The car had a number of scrapes and dents, needing about $3K in bodywork. It also needed the 30K maintenance, about $450.
Old 04-12-10, 05:49 PM
mark98ls40
Rookie

Does the custom luxury have Nav & Mark Lev?
This one has niether.
Old 04-12-10, 06:32 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its a base model. Walk away from it. Nobody wants to buy a base model. You will have trouble unloading it later on when you are done with it.
Old 04-12-10, 07:00 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mark98ls40
Does the custom luxury have Nav & Mark Lev?
This one has niether.
Yes, the CL has everything in the UL without the back seat upgrades and air suspension. Some folks are prejudiced against non-nav units. Other folks really like the cars with less stuff to go wrong. Personally, I think that if you are planning to run or sell a LS430 at 200K miles, the simpler is probably better.
Old 04-12-10, 07:06 PM
Rspencer55
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by miniz
Its a base model. Walk away from it. Nobody wants to buy a base model. You will have trouble unloading it later on when you are done with it.
Well, that's your opinion but not necessarily true. I bought an 04 last month that sounds very similar to yours. The difference is that mine has 56,000 miles and was certified with the 60k service already complete. This car in pristine condition was $21,500 and i might have been able to get it a little cheaper but on the whole, I am satisfied with the deal and the service that I have received from the dealership.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-12-10, 07:31 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get a way better car for that price or slightly more...we got our Black / Black (desirable color) 2006 Modern Luxury (ML and NAV) with 56k miles for 25.8K in October in S Fla as a FL car so I think you can def do better for a 2004 thats just a base...
Old 04-12-10, 07:41 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rspencer55
Well, that's your opinion but not necessarily true. I bought an 04 last month that sounds very similar to yours. The difference is that mine has 56,000 miles and was certified with the 60k service already complete. This car in pristine condition was $21,500 and i might have been able to get it a little cheaper but on the whole, I am satisfied with the deal and the service that I have received from the dealership.

Hope this helps.
Its not my opinion, its the truth. There are very few people that wish to purchase used cars with no or very minimal options. The whole point of buying a used car is to save money and get something better then you would have got new. The people who like base models are generally un-educated on the model and ill-informed about the brand. Had they known about the options available (or taken the time to discover them), they would have purchased a car with those options. Normally, one of the first questions a used car buyer has is what options the cars has. As soon as they hear 'base', they are not interested or they want a substantial discount. A car with options will sell faster and for more money then a base model..... unless you find a clueless sucker.
Old 04-12-10, 07:55 PM
Rspencer55
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by miniz
Its not my opinion, its the truth. There are very few people that wish to purchase used cars with no or very minimal options. The whole point of buying a used car is to save money and get something better then you would have got new. The people who like base models are generally un-educated on the model and ill-informed about the brand. Had they known about the options available (or taken the time to discover them), they would have purchased a car with those options. Normally, one of the first questions a used car buyer has is what options the cars has. As soon as they hear 'base', they are not interested or they want a substantial discount. A car with options will sell faster and for more money then a base model..... unless you find a clueless sucker.
I guess every internet forum has at least one - someone who throws out sweeping generalizations on every subject near and dear to them and tries passing it off as the "truth". I will mention that many of the certified cars that sell in the Chicago region are base models that have come off lease and they do seem to sell. Feel free to do a search on autotrader for Chicago if you would like to confirm this. Of course, you will probably disagree with this or call the buyers in Chicago clueless. I've learn the hard way that long, drawn out arguments on the internet are like banging your head against a cement wall - it doesn't hurt the wall and only gives you a headache.
Old 04-12-10, 07:58 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I TOTALLY agree with miniz's thoughts on this one. MY mindset when buying a used car is that I want it LOADED. (That's a buyers perspective). When selling a car, I ADVERTISE that it's loaded, supporting the higher than average price I'm trying to sell it for. (That's a sellers perspective).

Also, I think $25k for a 2004 that already had MAJOR work done (replaced tranny & fuel pump @1k miles? ) On top of that, it's not a Lexus dealer selling it so they're most likely CLUELESS about it (and just jacking up the price because "it's a Lexus".

Are the service records from a Lexus dealer or no?

FYI---at wholesale prices/manheim auction, these were the 04-06's on April 1st..and this is NO April fool's JOKE!!!.......

2004...LS430...77,644 BLACK...$16,750
2005...LS430...69,743 GRAY....$14,600
2005...LS430...38,390 BLACK...$20,750
2005...LS430...64,027 BLUON...$17,400
2006...LS430...46,625 BLUON...$21,000
2006...LS430...26,879 CRYWH..$25,000

I think you'd make that dealer very very happy even if you bought it at $22k. I wouldn't a dime more than $20k...and that's if you're 100% happy without any extra goodies that the other models have to offer!

It's your choice though.
Old 04-12-10, 08:06 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Rspencer55 has it right, there is absolutely nothing wrong with buying a base LS430 or one without navigation. As the car ages, there are fewer things break and need repair. A base LS430 has all the luxury items most people need.

I'd rather have a vehicle without factory navigation .... the aftermarket units are better, less expensive to buy and less expensive to keep updated.
Old 04-12-10, 08:31 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^fair if you do buy a base car for whatever reasons (it is VERY true that it will have less chance of things breaking) than AT THE LEAST buy it for a GREAT deal...
Old 04-12-10, 08:31 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I specifically went looking only at base model LS430s. I would not buy a NAV equipped LS430 under any circumstances. That doesn't mean they are bad, just not my preference. Actually most of us could make a pretty sophisticated argument either way on the options package on a used car.

So yes there is definitely room for multiple perfectly valid opinions on the issue of ideal options on an LS430 - and no it is definitely not straightforward, or cut and dried by any means.

I am far from a clueless car buyer, nor am I on a budget. So let's just be mature enough to allow that Lexus had the marketing savvy to design multiple options on this car to satisfy different demographics and sets of buyers many of whom typically have the sophistication and funds to buy the car optioned exactly as they want.
Old 04-12-10, 09:52 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Navigation Jabberwock but, I agree with YOU not having it. I like it don't get me wrong but, $1,700 or more for a Navigation system when you can buy a reliable Garmin for much less would make better sense, thats if you had the need for a Navigation system. Most folks dont do enough driving to unfamiliar addresses locally or nationwide to validate having one.

Its not a bad thing to go without the Navigation in my opinion!!! Like you said fellow member, there are many ways to argue why Navigation is needed but, I decided to be on your side on this one even though I have Navigation. It should be purchased based on need and most don't needed. I thank it became an extra toy for most and it looks cool so it became common to include it with a purchase. The LS430 is a great ride without Navigation or with it. L.G.N.M
Old 04-12-10, 10:02 PM
tam4G63
Driver

i dont know if this helps, but i paid $29800 for a 2006 Ultra Luxury with 42k.

Quick Reply: What to pay? '04 with 30k miles?