LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lexus LS vs BMW 7

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-10 | 07:10 AM
votru
Lead Lap

As other mention above, it's two different beast but if you want best of both world then try out coilovers and bigger wheel/tire like CDW91 said. The performance and handling mod department quite limited for LS vs. the exterior aka VIP as I'm only seeing Tom's and TRD product. Paraphrase one of member quote here: you're driving a couch on wheel, why turn it into a rocking chair .
Old 04-29-10 | 07:49 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default gone...

Originally Posted by tongpoh
i better ask in another way seem all feedback is which one is better. How to mod LS430 handling like BMW?
yeah, we sort of went off track...

But yes, like previous two posters, do coilover and wider tires will give you a more "BMW" feel, but if you want it all you'll probably want to get the "sport suspension" parts like larger arms, sway bars, etc. along with the coils and tire upgrade. Again, you'll get the feel as in "harsh" along with all this, so don't think you'll still have the plush feel along bumps and rough areas. But hey, it'll be more reliable.
Old 04-29-10 | 09:01 AM
Jabberwock

Texan - That's definitely a valid perspective - for drivers particularly interested in sporty driver's car, the stock, non-sport optioned LS is undeniably a luxo boat. It would be easy to start snoring on a long interstate drive. As a young man I remember driving my old 64 MGB on the highway up in Chicago - the MG was so uncomfortable, heater did not work, and handling at 70 mph so squirrelly that it was absolutely no problem staying awake in that car.
Old 04-29-10 | 01:30 PM
SteveM
Driver

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Now with introduction of the 1 series, I think the brand is further eroded because who driving a $90K 7 series really wants to see some punk in High School driving a 1 series as a BMW? This is why I hope Lexus doesn't introduce a "1 fighter" type of vehicle.
I think there may already be one unfortunately...... IS300 and IS250
Old 04-29-10 | 02:09 PM
kainedogg
Driver School Candidate

I am clearly no expert but when I came across a deal on wheels from a bud, I jumped on it. I have a '96 LS400, and swapped out the wheels and tires to 255/35/zr20's. OMG. Car handles like its on rails. Can only imagine how much better it would be with urethane bushings, Eibach springs and Nitto 555's
Old 04-30-10 | 06:17 AM
GeorgeT
Driver

Originally Posted by texan629
the BMW may be in the shop more but the lexus ls will bore you do death causing you to fall asleep then running into a brick wall.
Spot on! My wife has an '02 LS430 and it is a great car but it has no "soul"; I have an '07 7 Series and it is a great car to "drive". While Toyota cars are extremely well made (regardless of what the Government says) BMW's are well made too. I suspect that if people drove their Lexus's like a BMW, there repair rate would go up also.
Old 04-30-10 | 11:56 AM
thinkin
Pole Position

I have driven the current and mid-90s 7-series extensively and I just don't see a point for them. At 150mph on an Autobahn the 7-series might make more sense, here on American roads it feels silly.

I love BMW ride and handling balance in smaller cars, maybe even something as big as a 5-series, and they make a great I6 but in a limo like the 7-series/LS size car I don't see the point of the extra harshness for a 4500lb car that is not exactly a great joy to toss around anyway. For me it's about the right tool for the job, and I'd much rather be on the side of luxury for what is supposed to be a luxurious, comfortable car than compromise it with harsher suspension and try to make it something it'll never be. You can give a big heavy car a low ride, tenacious grip via huge rubber, firm suspension, but physics dictates it will never change direction, have the transient response, and offer the feedback and psychic response of a lightweight sports car no matter what BMW marketing claims.

I have seen both LS and 7-series at autocross and they're both pigs, the 7 series is just a somewhat tidier pig - neither belongs there. So give me an LS 430 and something like an Elise or NA/NB Miata and I'll be just fine, don't try to make one into the other or you get something rather ridiculous that never lives up to either role.

Just my 2 cents!
Old 04-30-10 | 07:23 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Originally Posted by GeorgeT
I suspect that if people drove their Lexus's like a BMW, there repair rate would go up also.
Ahhhhhhhh No..

I worked at a BMW dealer for several years. I would never buy a BMW unless it came with a warranty. When the warranty would be over I would get rid of the car.
Old 04-30-10 | 10:05 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

To hard to compare German and Euro makes with Lexus/Acura etc. makes. The handling issue depends but, I would opt for the car that comes like you want it if handling is a concern buddy. Even though I wouldnt by a BMW, it doesnt mean that you or anyone who wants what they offer shouldnt. I love BMW for there performance and handling but, I like Lexus overall more. I say get the BMW and get a warranty on it because I think the BMW may make you feel full long term, while the LS430 may be reliable etc., it never seems to complete the hunger of those who want performance and handling like BMW/Benz/Audi etc., offer.

Im not saying I don't like Lexus more, I do but, I think being true to myself and offering you decent advice is honorable. I'd go with the 2007 BMW with warranty and be sure to do ALL services to prevent issues in the long term. L.G.N.M
Old 05-01-10 | 06:26 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

I bought an LS430 and SC430 after driving BWM 7 and 6 Series. I liked the BMWs more than both of the Lexus (Lexi?) I went with the LS after reading an article where the CEO of Ford called it the best car ever made. Both cars were the tops in Consumer Reports reliability. My SC is near eight years old, I would not feel safe driving an eight year old BMW. My wife and kids are in the LS. I don't want them to be left on the side of the road. Reliability was the deciding factor. Maintainence is also much less expensive on these cars. A buddy with an SL500 took his in for a brake job at the same time my SC needed brakes. These cars are direct competitors. I bought factory pads, and paid $250 to have them installed. His break job was several thousand dollars. These cars are very easy to live with.

Last edited by KaiserSea1; 05-01-10 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-01-10 | 02:20 PM
kg19989
Lead Lap

The joker from the BMW forum who traded his LS for an M3 can't be considered a source. The cars are not marketed to the same demographic and you could conceivably own both for very different reasons. Hell.. the M3 could fit in my LS' trunk!

Last edited by kg19989; 05-01-10 at 02:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-01-10 | 03:33 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

We need not argue at all about what better or worse. Its simply about taste! We all like different things and heck, we all have LS' or some other Lexus and we do for various reasons. Some think there Lexus looks great while others like its reliability! Nobody is wrong. The guy who traded his LS for an M3 is a car buyer that likes a more sporty car. His/her choice of the LS was wrong from jump. Doesnt mean the LS isnt a great car, heck I had a S-Class that everyone thought was great but, I never feel in LOVE with it like I did my GS 400 previous to it.

Its bout taste and most my industry friends(music industry) and peers wouldnt consider a Lexus. WHY? They just like Euro cars. Some LOVE LExus like me but, IM long over this type debate. I say we need to buy what we like as I said in my previous post. The thread starter seems to like a more aggressive ride and wants better handling I think. I drove a Benz and BMW and they have performance down to a T!

I want Lexus to get its due so despite not always getting it from the Euro makes, I give them props anyway! I think if you have to alter a car, its not the car for you. The LS is an executive car meant for quiet,smoothness and comfort! The BMW is a luxury performance car built for the roads in Germany as well as most the Euro makes are built for performance. The Japanese makers of Toyota and then Lexus had a FOCUS on comfort and quietness and any thing done to alter it, takes away from what any Lexus besides the IS models are meant to be. The GS is a sports sedan and the SC is a coupe. Even though these cars a sporty in looks and have some flare, they are still built with comfort and quietness as well as smoothness as the goal!

Heck, as good as the Benz looks to me Im a Lexus man and will keep this car as long as it is trouble free and not to costly as far as repairs are concerned! Lets let those who dont like LExus live how they see fit and those like us who do, lets be happy we decided to buy a reliable ride!!!! L.G.N.M
Old 05-01-10 | 05:31 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

My SC and LS are both around 5.8 seconds to 60 with 288 HP engines.

The 2006 750i with 360HP takes 6.4 seconds.
http://www.insideline.com/bmw/7-seri...-bmw-750i.html

The 2010 750iL is now 6 tenths of a second faster to 60 than my 06 LS hitting it in 5.2 seconds but it needs a turbocharged 544-horsepower 6.0-liter V12 engine and an 8-speed automatic transmission to do it.
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...w-7-series.htm

I am sorry but for those of you who think German engineering is so great, why do they need more than twice the power to get similar results. I would bet making engines this powerful is a big reason you need a friend with an LS to take you back to the shop.
Old 05-01-10 | 05:40 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default The proof is not just in 0-60

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
...I am sorry but for those of you who think German engineering is so great, why do they need more than twice the power to get similar results. I would bet making engines this powerful is a big reason you need a friend with an LS to take you back to the shop.
In BMW's defense, the measure for performance is not just 0-60 in a straight line. If you're drag racing, yeah, then it matters. If you just look at 0-60 straight line, then a Camaro or Mustang are in the same or better league, but no one is going to say they're anything close to a Lexus or BMW.

It's the way the car handles turns, quick lane adjustments, braking, 40-70 mph, etc. that define handling and BMW (German makes in general) does do this better, but not that much better that I would buy them.
Old 05-01-10 | 06:26 PM
thinkin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
I am sorry but for those of you who think German engineering is so great, why do they need more than twice the power to get similar results.
Weight is the ultimate performance killer. That 750 is fully 500 pounds heavier than the same year LS 430 (for its size, the LS is actually fairly light); pushing 1/4 ton more car around takes more power to do the same thing.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS vs BMW 7