Lexus LS vs BMW 7

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-10, 07:45 AM
tongpoh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus LS vs BMW 7

Hi,

I plan to buy a used LS430, i tried a 2004 LS430 and a 2007 BMW 735LI, for power LS430 win but BMW handling much better, my question is, will LS430 handling like BMW if i mod the suspension and rim+tire? Will it still comfort after mod?
Old 04-28-10, 08:14 AM
LRoy430ul
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello and welcome to the forum....

You might find some answers in some of these threads.....this topic has been discussed alot.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-ls-430-a.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...exusls43o.html
Old 04-28-10, 08:15 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Engineering and physics

Originally Posted by tongpoh
Hi,

I plan to buy a used LS430, i tried a 2004 LS430 and a 2007 BMW 735LI, for power LS430 win but BMW handling much better, my question is, will LS430 handling like BMW if i mod the suspension and rim+tire? Will it still comfort after mod?
Why do people think that the two can be combined into one package? It's purely engineering and physics that prevents the two from occupying the same vehicle at the same time. If you want "handling" then you're talking firmer suspensions, larger wheels, tighter steering wheels which equate to a harsher ride. When you talk comfort, you're talking plusher struts, smaller wheels, more assisted steering, etc. so loss of road "feel." I guess "air suspension" is the compromise, but even then you can't have both at the same time, you either select sport or "high" not simultaneously.

You have to pick your priority. To me, did I want 100% handling for 5% of my driving habit, or the Lexus 85-90% of BMW handling for 95% of my driving? For me... no brainer, I'll take comfort over the occasional highway merge or quick exit ramping.
Old 04-28-10, 08:46 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I finally understand the series designation that BMW uses for its cars... I think with 7 series the "7" stands for approximately how many times it will be in the shop for repairs per year : )
Old 04-28-10, 08:49 AM
LRoy430ul
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I finally understand the series designation that BMW uses for its cars... I think with 7 series the "7" stands for approximately how many times it will be in the shop for repairs per year : )
lol, might be true
Old 04-28-10, 09:07 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe the 3, 5, or 7 digit in the series indicates the hundred digit in the cost of a minor maintence visit for an oil and filter change at the BMW dealer. The dealer and BMW determine the frequency of repair visits after running your financial statements and credit report to determine how much pain you can endure.
Old 04-28-10, 09:21 AM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL...thats awesome..Im part of the BMW forum as well...for the most part 90% of the forum members were happy and said great choice on my LS...but a few had some kind words...interesting that one of the guys who was putting the LS down was a former LS 430 owner...here excerpts from over there.

Originally Posted by r
Enjoy, almost made the same mistake.

Posted by me:
Mistake?LOL...dont thinks so my friend..both are great cars...one is not better then the other...The 7 is better in some areas as is the LS...grow up a little...this aint a Ford forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny735
Mistake?LOL...dont thinks so my friend..both are great cars...one is not better then the other...The 7 is better in some areas as is the LS...grow up a little...this aint a Ford forum.

His response:
They are not comparable. If you are a young guy and bought an LS then it's my opinion that you my friend are not experiencing the best there is for equal money. That said it's a nice car and I'm sure you will love the LS forum. By the way I owned in LS 430 so I speak from experience. Traded it in for an M3 after 4 months.
Old 04-28-10, 11:36 AM
SteveM
Driver

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I believe the 3, 5, or 7 digit in the series indicates the hundred digit in the cost of a minor maintence visit for an oil and filter change at the BMW dealer. The dealer and BMW determine the frequency of repair visits after running your financial statements and credit report to determine how much pain you can endure.
LOL! I needed a good laugh this afternoon and you guys certainly delivered.

Friends of mine who are diehard BMW owners have sworn off the 7 (especially outside the factory warranty). They tell me that the gen before the newest was made in a seperate factory which had quality problems and that the 7 is among the worst made BMW's. They stick to 3 and 5 in those classes but for full size they've either gone MB or LS. (They debate about which is worse the 7 or the A8).

So you're both right. 7 times a year for $7XX until you can't take it anymore.
Old 04-28-10, 02:56 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

ITs funny but its a shame really as BMW are fantastic cars and superb pieces of engineering. I just think they took their eye off the ball quality wise and its hurt the brand ever since. When I was a teenager and young man my dream was to someday own a BMW.

The current deal BMW run (because of concerns with high maint costs) is that they include all routine maint cost free of charge for the first four years. So the sales pitch is this - don't worry as maint is free but of course the savvy buyer knows that maint cost is built into the new car's price. Then after 4 years the buyer is on his own and God help you if you need to buy parts -its like they were made out of gold. I think that's why it so easy to find 4 yr old BMWs at good prices.
Old 04-28-10, 04:30 PM
tongpoh
Driver School Candidate

This all about which one is better, my simple question is will the handling equal or better than BMW 7 if i mod LS suspension and rim+tire?
Old 04-28-10, 05:53 PM
Gil Smash
Driver

In case anyone was actually wondering its that they redoe all their models every seven years and the 7 series is first cause its their flagship model.
Old 04-28-10, 11:19 PM
SteveM
Driver

ITs funny but its a shame really as BMW are fantastic cars and superb pieces of engineering. I just think they took their eye off the ball quality wise and its hurt the brand ever since. When I was a teenager and young man my dream was to someday own a BMW.

The current deal BMW run (because of concerns with high maint costs) is that they include all routine maint cost free of charge for the first four years. So the sales pitch is this - don't worry as maint is free but of course the savvy buyer knows that maint cost is built into the new car's price. Then after 4 years the buyer is on his own and God help you if you need to buy parts -its like they were made out of gold. I think that's why it so easy to find 4 yr old BMWs at good prices.
This is bang on as I understand it with my limited experience. I've always wanted a Bavarian Propeller car myself. I think the best plan to experience a BM might be to get one used (to avoid the outrageous new MSRP) and low miles/temporal age (to be well within the 4 year period). In CA they were a dime a dozen with >30K.

After the 4 year period? carnivore money pits like the desert in Return of the Jedi hence the deals/prices
Old 04-29-10, 04:00 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ITs funny but its a shame really as BMW are fantastic cars and superb pieces of engineering. I just think they took their eye off the ball quality wise and its hurt the brand ever since. When I was a teenager and young man my dream was to someday own a BMW. ...
Are BMW's good, yes. Are they well engineered? I don't really think so without the reliability. I mean really, anyone can overdesign and put in beefy suspensions, get better handling, but without the reliability and quality ride that goes with the whole car experience, then how is it well engineered?

BMW really was in an ultimate position marketing wise of being this "great" company making fantastic "ultimate driving" cars, but owners soon realized that with all that "ultimate" driving came some ultimate trips to the dealerships.

Now with introduction of the 1 series, I think the brand is further eroded because who driving a $90K 7 series really wants to see some punk in High School driving a 1 series as a BMW? This is why I hope Lexus doesn't introduce a "1 fighter" type of vehicle.
Old 04-29-10, 06:23 AM
tongpoh
Driver School Candidate

i better ask in another way seem all feedback is which one is better. How to mod LS430 handling like BMW?
Old 04-29-10, 06:50 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If you want a 430 to handle better, throw on a set of coilovers and bigger wheels/wider tires.. I never did it but I heard you can make the steering lighter which would make it seem like it's not soo heavy.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS vs BMW 7