LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Auto Stick mode do you use it much or not

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-10, 08:28 PM
gjw510
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Stick mode do you use it much or not

Hello all I have a 05 ML with 39k and counting. My wifes uncle has a 99 GS I think, I gave him a lift in mine he saw the auto shift mode and went crazy. He couldnt believe a full size sedan would have or need that feature. He told me about how fun it was to drive cars with that style tranny and I should give it a try soon. I've owned a few manual cars and drove them well but its been awhile. I just wanted to ask you guys if you use yours much or do you think its not needed. all views welcome.
Old 05-01-10, 09:45 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a novelty at best... you really don't engine brake until you shift down to like 2nd gear and by then, it's so herky jerky. It's not a true manual fuel and the LS is so smooth on upshifts, it defeats the purpose of manually upshifting and probably more waste of gas.

I think I've used the feature twice or so when I first got it. Have not used it since. I'll leave the manual duty to my '92 Integra.
Old 05-01-10, 11:08 PM
BC Rider
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What he said.

I've never been able to figure out why manufacturers promote this "feature".

I guess it's because the other guys have it.

Mind you - I've spoken to some young fellas with the german versions and they seem quite convinced that they are driving a manual because they move their stick back and forth. The power of marketting I guess.
Old 05-02-10, 12:21 AM
gjw510
Driver School Candidate

Thanks thats how I feel when Im crusing enjoying that lexus ride I dont want to pretend Im driving a sports car.
Old 05-02-10, 04:31 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've tried it a couple times. Meh. As others have said, it really doesn't seem to belong in the car.
Old 05-02-10, 07:15 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use it, but almost exclusively for braking in snow/ice conditions or (in any weather) when going down grades.

It's also very good to get moving from a dead stop in snow & ice by using a higher gear than the automatic mode would allow ("Snow" mode only lets you start in 2nd).

It's most valuable (to me) for braking in slippery conditions, though. I'm glad I have the feature.

Walt
Old 05-02-10, 08:02 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Haven't used it other than to check to see if it worked when I first got the car. I assume it might be used in mountainous driving with long down grades. Or maybe some emergency situational type of road condition or driving but I guess that's pretty unlikely....on rare occasions when road conditions are bad due to weather in Texas I have the luxury of just not driving (since I work from home). Other than that I would not use it.
Old 05-02-10, 10:31 AM
wilkie1020
Driver School Candidate

I live in a hilly area & use it a few times a week going down long or steep hills. I probably wouldn't pay a lot for it as an option, but do like it. I'm sure it helps my brakes to last for more miles.
Old 05-02-10, 12:05 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I never use it. I don't drive my LS in the snow but even if I did I certainly wouldn't need an 'autostick' mode to downshift for engine braking. Heck that's what I do on my Dodge Ram truck (which I do drive in the snow). My daughter has autostick on her Acura RSX and, still, it's not even close to driving a manual tranny and I never use it even driving that car.
Old 05-02-10, 12:51 PM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use it often
* on 2 lane roads, to preselect a passing gear without having to floor the throttle.
** accelerating on Interstate on-ramps, to keep a lower gear for a little extra acceleration without lots of throttle.

To me, it's much nicer than using the shifter gates.

Also just me: I've always wished it would stay in whatever gear I'm in when I switch the stick over for auto stick (instead of just showing "5") . It would get a lot more use that way, 'cause face it, LS430 ain't got all the low end torque in the world.
Old 05-02-10, 08:41 PM
SteveM
Driver

I originally discovered this "feature" in my parents Acura TL. I don't find it completely useless, just not frequently useful. As mentioned above I really only use it occasionally to
1. draw out all the accel from 2 and 3 when they're wound up near their safe limits or
2. down shift to 2-3 (city) or 3-4 (hwy) to pass or accel quickly or
3. very rarely for engine braking

During regular city driving I'm certain the engineers and their 6-speed know when to shift better than I do. The idea of shifting constantly in regular conditions makes it feel more like a gimmick for that type of usage.
Old 05-03-10, 06:08 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Power

Originally Posted by campisi
... My daughter has autostick on her Acura RSX and, still, it's not even close to driving a manual tranny and I never use it even driving that car.
I think for those that have the autostick and think it drives "like a stick" have probably never driven a stick so they would not know otherwise.

As for acceleration on the LS, if you're "downshifting" to pass, it's probably faster to jam on the gas than to hit the shifter 2 or 3 times to get into low enough gear to get any power. 6th to 5th feels like it's done nothing.
Old 05-03-10, 06:26 AM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"As for acceleration on the LS, if you're "downshifting" to pass, it's probably faster to jam on the gas than to hit the shifter 2 or 3 times to get into low enough gear to get any power. 6th to 5th feels like it's done nothing."

Agreed , if I'm driving alone. Still enjoy the surge of power the 430 provides.

With passengers aboard, I tend to preselect, to avoid the surge.
Old 05-03-10, 11:07 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

I put it into the S mode all the time commuting to school on a 60 mile trip. I mainly use it to slow down in front of cops without visually showing the brake lights. I just leave it at "6" though and rarely change it.
Old 05-03-10, 11:13 AM
m3nv
Pole Position

I rarely use it... its not like im driving a sports car..

Quick Reply: Auto Stick mode do you use it much or not