LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Fog light rewire??!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-10, 09:40 AM
mrsandman
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BACK FROM THE DEAD...has this been resolved yet? I've been looking for answers as well and want to do this DIY. Has anyone followed the previous link on the Frontier forum or BananaGS's DIY? Please help!!!!
Old 09-15-10, 12:05 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

From my collection of notes/info on the 430.

The correct way is change to coil side of the stock relay from low beam to the parking light/ignition/separate switch however you want it on. this way no additional relay, and you don't have to run any wires from the fogs to inside the car.

--REV-01

Last edited by Tee; 09-16-10 at 04:23 AM.
Old 09-15-10, 10:25 PM
mrsandman
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Elaborate please Tee...once I locate the relay with the fuses, then what?
Old 09-16-10, 03:45 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

relay is a "switch" that is controlled by another object in the car, in this case Lo beam. When Lo beam is [ON] it sends a "signal" to relay which acts as a "switch" and turns on the fog lights..

Now, what REV and Tee are talking about is changing the source of the "signal" to something that is always on when the car is ruining. (ie ignition power)

P.S. the relay is not physically controlled by the Lo beam. dont forget even with high beam on, Lo beams are still on

Last edited by RomanTPA; 09-16-10 at 03:54 AM.
Old 09-18-10, 10:11 PM
ViPCeo
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If i get some time ill do this mod this weekend, sry for the late repliez, jus been real busy.....independent fogs FTW
Old 03-05-11, 03:40 PM
notserp
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

any new info...
Old 03-05-11, 05:01 PM
ViPCeo
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, therez no way to rewire the fog without getting a different switch, the source of the signal to the fog relay is actually in the Combination Switch which controls the on/off of the headlights as well as the fogs, i had everything apart and try different ways of doing it, no luck, i have a friend that does wiring on 1jz/2jz swaps on Any Car and he says the best way is to get a separate switch without risk damaging the Combination Switch (kinda like what i seen a few of the guys on here did) i havent actually done it yet but will in a couple of weeks when i have some time off, will do a mini write up since theres nothing on here i can actually use....
Old 03-05-11, 05:25 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ So does that mean you cant wire them to your parking light so that when you turn the switch you have parking light, tail lights and fog lights on?
Old 03-05-11, 05:52 PM
ray123
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ViPCeo
Ok, therez no way to rewire the fog without getting a different switch, the source of the signal to the fog relay is actually in the Combination Switch which controls the on/off of the headlights as well as the fogs, i had everything apart and try different ways of doing it, no luck, i have a friend that does wiring on 1jz/2jz swaps on Any Car and he says the best way is to get a separate switch without risk damaging the Combination Switch (kinda like what i seen a few of the guys on here did) i havent actually done it yet but will in a couple of weeks when i have some time off, will do a mini write up since theres nothing on here i can actually use....
thanks cant wait
Old 03-05-11, 11:34 PM
TubbyGs430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a certified electrician and my trade is an elevator mechanic. im pretty sure what rev is saying about the coil on the relay. now this is off the top of my head i didnt even open up the pdf file to look at the wiring diagram and i havent tested the out. so here is what i think
the fog light relay will get +12v when the head lights are ON. you need to locate the power from the head light that energize the fog light relay and pull that wire and bring it to the +12v for the parking so now when the parking lights turn ON the fog light in theory should turn on also also i would upgrade the fuse that for the parking lights the extra load on that circuit my blow the fuse i would upgrade it with a fuse 25% greater then it has example if it has a 10 amp go to a 15amp
Old 03-24-15, 08:57 AM
mustafakha
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is definitely possible... A friend had it done on his LS430 2002.

We first located the fog lamp relay. Run a wire from the fog lamp switch to one of the connections in the relay. I believe this is for negative signal. Another wire was run from a near by fuse which is triggered by ignition. End result: the fog lamp will work when the ignition is on and the fog lamp switch is turned on. No need to even switch on the parking lights.
Photo below. I have also had this done on my ls460 but it was a different setup because there is no fog lamp relay on the ls460.

Old 03-24-15, 06:58 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mustafakha
This is definitely possible... A friend had it done on his LS430 2002. We first located the fog lamp relay. Run a wire from the fog lamp switch to one of the connections in the relay. I believe this is for negative signal. Another wire was run from a near by fuse which is triggered by ignition. End result: the fog lamp will work when the ignition is on and the fog lamp switch is turned on. No need to even switch on the parking lights. Photo below. I have also had this done on my ls460 but it was a different setup because there is no fog lamp relay on the ls460.
Can you please post a DIY?!

This is exactly what I've been needing to know.
If you can post pictures too that would be wildly awesome!!
Old 03-24-15, 10:48 PM
mustafakha
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
Can you please post a DIY?!

This is exactly what I've been needing to know.
If you can post pictures too that would be wildly awesome!!
It wasn't really a DIY... Had it done from an electrician who happens to be a friend. I don't know much about electric circuits... But as I said above, two connections of the Fog Lamp reply were re-wired. One from the OEM fog lamp switch and another from a near by fuse. I will try and post pictures when I see my friend again.
Old 03-25-15, 02:57 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mustafakha
It wasn't really a DIY... Had it done from an electrician who happens to be a friend. I don't know much about electric circuits... But as I said above, two connections of the Fog Lamp reply were re-wired. One from the OEM fog lamp switch and another from a near by fuse. I will try and post pictures when I see my friend again.
Nice. Sounds good.

If I had any knowledge about electric circuits, I would've attempted to follow what you explained. But because it's electricity and things can go really bad, we'll just wait on your pics. Thanks in advance.