LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Maintenance at 14k miles? What to do...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-10, 09:55 AM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Maintenance at 14k miles? What to do...

As some of you know, I recently picked up an '02 LS430 with only 14k miles. From talking to the previous owner, the only thing done was oil changes every 2-3k.

I am not in the normal mode of maintenance. Usually it is mileage or time. In my case it is mostly time. It seems to me that I am now faced with a lot of fluid changes (other than the required oil and filter). And, technically speaking, the timing belt should be replaced because it is older than 6 years (72 months). Oh, I don't want to go thru that again just yet (just got done doing a TB/WP last fall with my 98 LS).

What to do to catch up on maintenance?
-complete coolant system drain and refill
-brake fluid flush
-differential fluid change
-tranny fluid change (2 qt drain and fill)
-filters (air and cabin)
-power steering flush

Seem about right? Anything other than what is in the manual?
Old 05-02-10, 10:56 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

I think you are spot-on except for the power steering flush. I suppose you could drain and refill the PS fluid but I would not introduce any flushing chemicals into the system. It's probably fine as it is; I've never seen PS fluid replacement in an Lexus maintenance schedule.

Your air cleaner is probably fine -- age isn't going to affect it. The cabin filter could be OK too - pull it and inspect it.

Actually, the trans and diff fluid are probably fine too -- but replacing those fluids is super cheap ... I'd probably do it since I'm sort of obsessive about car maintenance.

If your tires are original, replace them ASAP. They could be nearly nine years old by now.
Old 05-02-10, 11:44 AM
randal
Lead Lap

Jim! you found me!

Actually, I have already replaced the tires. The original being 8 yrs old were in good looking shape (not dry rotted) but one (or more) of them had a persistent flat spot on it that I could not live with. Apparently, the car had been setting so long that it messed them up.

As concerns the fluid...yes, I agree that most are cheap enough that I will probably just drain and refill. Thats mainly what I mean with "flush". I also do not like to introduce a chemical in there to loosen things up. Just inviting trouble.

The TB is a tough decision. Beyond the time but way below the mileage. I will have to think on that one a while longer. My 98 was nearly 12 years old when I changed it and still looked fairly good so I know the time parameter is very conservative.

Speaking of being obsessive, my son wants to take a picture of me standing next to my LS and entitle it simply: "Obsessed". Does it show?!
Old 05-02-10, 12:39 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by randal
Jim! you found me!
Duh! I should have recognized it was you. What are you doing slumming on CL? (Don't answer that.)
Old 05-02-10, 01:21 PM
m8554
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem. I bought a 2003 LS in January with only 18,500 miles on it. The car was like it was in a time capsule, always garaged and in near perfect condition. I ended up replacing all the fluids with the exception of the power steering fluid.
I also replaced the timing belt, but not the water pump. The old belt looked like new but with this being an interference engine, I didn't want to take any chances. The Lexus mechanic said he had seen some belts that looked terrible with low mileage and some that looked fine.
Cheap money to pay for peace of mind.
Old 05-02-10, 05:14 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I would not replace an 02 timing belt until 2012 if it has super low miles (less than 30k) and had been in a mild climate or in storage.

I think the key to me is what do the external belts and hoses look like on that car? If they are uncracked and like new, you should OK on the TB , but if the belts and hoses in the engine bay look old and oxidized, then its time to change the TB on the car now.
Old 05-02-10, 08:11 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kansas
Duh! I should have recognized it was you. What are you doing slumming on CL? (Don't answer that.)
Yeah, randal = landar! Simple math. Funny how that works. And one million dollars will buy that bridge. (note to others...sorry, inside joke. )
Slummin on CL? I thought it was an upgrade! I feel the love here.
Old 05-02-10, 08:29 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I would not replace an 02 timing belt until 2012 if it has super low miles (less than 30k) and had been in a mild climate or in storage.

I think the key to me is what do the external belts and hoses look like on that car? If they are uncracked and like new, you should OK on the TB , but if the belts and hoses in the engine bay look old and oxidized, then its time to change the TB on the car now.
I like you, Jab. Pretty much what I was thinking. The belts and hoses look very nice. Some of the aluminum parts look a little oxidized but they clean up with a quick wipe. I changed oil today (went with Mobil One 5W-30 and Toyota filter). And the world comes to an end on Dec 21, 2012 according to the Mayan calendar...so plan on TB replacement on the 22nd.

As I lay there under the car staring up in wide-eyed Lex wonderment and wiping the dust off the hoses and cross-members....(anybody else do that? I clean the bottom of the engine while waiting for that last drop of oil)..I marvel at how nice everything looked and how incredibly easy the oil filter is to get to.
This LS430 engine bay is wide open compared to the LS400. NICE. NICE. NICE. Need I say it thrice? YES!

Have a look:
Attached Thumbnails Maintenance at 14k miles? What to do...-100_1604.jpg  

Last edited by randal; 05-03-10 at 04:12 AM.
Old 05-04-10, 08:07 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by randal
As I lay there under the car staring up in wide-eyed Lex wonderment and wiping the dust off the hoses and cross-members....(anybody else do that? I clean the bottom of the engine while waiting for that last drop of oil)..I marvel at how nice everything looked and how incredibly easy the oil filter is to get to.This LS430 engine bay is wide open...
I stared up in awe at the underside of my 02 RL...and did the exact movements that you described.

However, the LS's (at least 04-06's), have a black plastic covering over the entire underside of the engine, not allowing you access to ANYTHING unless you remove parts of the plastic shroud/covering.

Even just removing the oil filter, you must remove 2 screws then fold back the black plastic "flap" to gain access to the oil filter.

Mind you, I'm not complaining. I'm sure this protective covering helps in the aerodynamics and helps prevent buffeting of the air, etc, on the underbelly, but you never mentioned removing this cover? I have THOUGHT about removing the cover to observe (preparing to be in awe, as you described), but thought the trouble was more hassle than it was worth...just to be in awe.

Did you remove this covering completely (about a dozen screws) or does your LS not have it installed at all? (It appears it's absent in your pic.)
Old 05-04-10, 08:40 AM
randal
Lead Lap

You are right, I did not mention that I completely removed the under engine cover but I did. Just to clarify... this is not a tutorial on oil changing, just a comment. Yeah, removing the entire cover is somewhat of a pain but I will tell you what (what? ), that cover does more than aerodynamics. It helps to keep the underneath of the engine clean. And I really, really like that fact. I have to drive in some pretty nasty weather conditions (salt on the road), and the less of that gunk getting into the engine compartment the better.

So, I will gladly wrestle with the cover rather than leave it off. I take it completely off every oil change (about every 6 months) so that I can do a thorough inspection of components.

Last edited by randal; 05-04-10 at 08:45 AM.