LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Zaino!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-10, 07:41 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by whitetooth
Correct! I tried both Zaino and Swizzvax and Swizzvax for Lexus won. Swizzvax Concorso examples (not my car):

That looks marvelous! I've been topping with pinnacle sovereign, but I might have to try the swizzvax!
Old 05-20-10, 04:48 PM
SteveM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
SteveM, your car looks fantastic!

I agree, you know you have found something special when you can make lighter colored cars have a nice depth of shine. It's sometimes difficult to get an impressive look, but with the right product it can be done.

I have plenty of zaino in my arsenal, but when I got the LS, I tried something new. I have so many different products as it has become fun just to test some out on a weekend- that;s when you know you are a detailer nut, LOL. with the first and only detail after I bought her, I tried the Klasse Twins, and topped it with a quality carnuba, pinnacle sovereign. The crazier you get with this detailing bug, the more you will recognize the virtues of each product and when it's appropriate to use them.

For example, synthetics will typically last longer and have more of a laquer type finish, while natural waxes will leave a deeper , more liquid or wet shine. It may sound crazy, but if you saw two identical cars with two differnt processes, they would be impressive in their own ways. I am thinking about stripping my car and seeing what Zaino will do on it just for the fun of it. Here are3 more shots for airtime. Reflection and Protection, LOL. Paint so fresh it needs a spanking!
Thanks a lot. The car turned out looking great but as the pics show the darker paints look a lot more pronounced and mirrored than the lighter shades. Your car looks amazing, it looks like it's had a few treatments to build up that nice gloss. I'm going to round 3 it this weekend!

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Other than the chromed wheels, our cars are twins. Although i have tinted windows now. Anyway, that shine is nice. Its kinda hard to tell on our silver cars because its already a "shiny color". Plan to give mine the total package in a couple of weeks once i order the Porter Cable buffer kit. BTW, i noticed you had those Riken Raptor tires on there. How do yo like them? Sorry for the jack fellas!
Yea I noticed your Mercury Metallic LS when I was shopping and I decided I was really into silver. I like how tint looks on it and will be deciding about that soon (any grade of tint on the front windows is illegal here, I've always had it regardless but I might decide I want less chats with the boys in blue )

You're right the silver certainly doesn't show the same mirror effect as the darker shades but I have to say the silver takes on a half chrome-like look which my photos couldn't capture. With the emblems and grill it looks great. Post some pics when you are admiring yours

The tires that came on the car (Cali car) are as you said the Raptor 245/45 ZR18 96W. They have about 60-70% left on them and they feel grippy on dry conditions. I imagine if I switched to a less aggressive tire I might get enhanced cushion on the ride feeling, but it feels relatively smooth. They may be better suited for a more aggressive car. I don't really need the speed rating or the cornering grip but they're good for those things. I've read they wear well even if pushed a bit and are reasonably priced. As for the claims that they grip well in wet conditions.... They feel precarious like the rear is ready to break away if given any chance. Summer tire through and through
Old 05-20-10, 06:03 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Everyone's pics look great! I have heard good things about Zaino. Now I have to try it.
The real test for those of us with black cars is to shine headlights on it at night. All the monsters come out.
My black 06 Ultra has the most difficult paint job I have ever tried to maintain in my life, and I have 3 other black cars that don't live such a pampered life. I wash the car weekly doing a two bucket(grates in the bottom) car wash, use only the highest quality mitts, and in addition to all that I use a foam gun. I buy the best micro fiber waffle towels I can find and wash them alone in the proper detergent. This car is only driven about 3 times a week and never sets in direct sunlight. It's always garaged when at home. Still it needs to be detailed 3-4 times a year to get rid of little surface scratches.
When detailing the car I always clay the car then use a compound. I follow that with Zymol HD Cleaner and one of their Estate Glazes, which are ridiculously priced!
I am ready to try something different. All this work is killing me, maybe the Zaino will work better for me. If this new paint Lexus is said to be using proves good I will be looking for an LS when they reach the two year old mark.
I love my car but the paint is not world class. Mention this in the third generation RX room and some of their members freak out! They are in some serious denial.
Old 05-20-10, 08:39 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't you just hate it when you shine your car to perfection then it rains the next day Happens all the time here in Seattle.
Old 05-21-10, 06:56 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Originally Posted by DNC
Everyone's pics look great! I have heard good things about Zaino. Now I have to try it.
The real test for those of us with black cars is to shine headlights on it at night. All the monsters come out.
My black 06 Ultra has the most difficult paint job I have ever tried to maintain in my life, and I have 3 other black cars that don't live such a pampered life. I wash the car weekly doing a two bucket(grates in the bottom) car wash, use only the highest quality mitts, and in addition to all that I use a foam gun. I buy the best micro fiber waffle towels I can find and wash them alone in the proper detergent. This car is only driven about 3 times a week and never sets in direct sunlight. It's always garaged when at home. Still it needs to be detailed 3-4 times a year to get rid of little surface scratches.
When detailing the car I always clay the car then use a compound. I follow that with Zymol HD Cleaner and one of their Estate Glazes, which are ridiculously priced!
I am ready to try something different. All this work is killing me, maybe the Zaino will work better for me. If this new paint Lexus is said to be using proves good I will be looking for an LS when they reach the two year old mark.
I love my car but the paint is not world class. Mention this in the third generation RX room and some of their members freak out! They are in some serious denial.
Not sure of the products you use, but if you are detailing 3-4 times a year, I would go with something a little finer cut than a "compound" No car should need compounding if you are going at it 3-4 times a year. Use of a compound should be for drastic cases, and if your paint is well kept, which it sounds like it is, then always take the least abrasive path to your car when polishing.

Zaino is great! I recently stripped my 430 down and did a day of zaino with the ZFX additive. One things for sure. The car is smooth as glass, not that it wasnt before with the pinnacle stuff, but the zaino Z2 as an LSP gives the feel of a custom car that is head and shoulders above the rest. Just be careful, alot of info, and the Zaino fans can be a little fanatical. Trust your own likes and dislikes of a product. It's okay to learn and build a collection of products, thats the whole fun of it. it's just that some people become die hard fans of one product and act like there is no competition. This is simply untrue. They all have their pros and cons.

With my black car, I have simply lost the drive for perfection, because it is impossible if the car is to be driven anywhere, I am perfectly happy when the car looks perfect from 2 feet away. Yes, i have very fine scratches when you you go cross-eyed and get up on the surface, but I really don't think it's enough to car about. It's a daily driver and not a showcar....but hey it looks damn close to it! try the zaino out, you might be really impressed depending on what you are using now.

As far as your monsters are concerned. alot of those monsters are not getting the product out all the way. It's a good idea to always do a little QD after each coat, this will get alot of that leftover crap out. Also, doing a final buff with just a MF towel will help immensly. I have black and serious lack of demons.
Old 05-21-10, 07:08 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Originally Posted by airtime
Don't you just hate it when you shine your car to perfection then it rains the next day Happens all the time here in Seattle.
I HATE THAT! I will try to drive the maxima on those days! I seriously need help though. Today as I was driving, I was at stop sign and these guys were doing yard work on on the corner, using a blower. I had just wiped the car down with zaino z8 grad finale, and when the guy came around with the blower I practically had an anxiety attack lol
Old 05-21-10, 10:19 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 154 Posts

Yesterday I did my annual Dawn dish soap wash + Z18 Claybar paint&rims + wash claybar residue with Z7 Car Wash.

I then put on 2 coats of ZFX-accelerated Z2, wiping down the car with Z6 between coats and finishing with a Z6 wipedown. I normally use Z5 as the primary polish but I ran out last summer.

I used the leftover Z2 from each of the 2 coats to do my OEM chrome rims.

I complete my exterior detailing by applying Z16 Tire Gloss to the tires and the wheel wells and using Stoner's Invisible Glass + microfibre cloth on all exterior windows and mirrors. I don't think Stoner's is safe for tint so I just use a damp microfibre cloth on the inside.

Interior cleaning consists of a thorough vacuuming, then Z9 Leather Cleaner with a clean white cloth (to see the grime removed), then replenishing the leather's oils using Z10 Leather Conditioner.
Old 05-21-10, 03:02 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
Not sure of the products you use, but if you are detailing 3-4 times a year, I would go with something a little finer cut than a "compound" No car should need compounding if you are going at it 3-4 times a year. Use of a compound should be for drastic cases, and if your paint is well kept, which it sounds like it is, then always take the least abrasive path to your car when polishing.

Zaino is great! I recently stripped my 430 down and did a day of zaino with the ZFX additive. One things for sure. The car is smooth as glass, not that it wasnt before with the pinnacle stuff, but the zaino Z2 as an LSP gives the feel of a custom car that is head and shoulders above the rest. Just be careful, alot of info, and the Zaino fans can be a little fanatical. Trust your own likes and dislikes of a product. It's okay to learn and build a collection of products, thats the whole fun of it. it's just that some people become die hard fans of one product and act like there is no competition. This is simply untrue. They all have their pros and cons.

With my black car, I have simply lost the drive for perfection, because it is impossible if the car is to be driven anywhere, I am perfectly happy when the car looks perfect from 2 feet away. Yes, i have very fine scratches when you you go cross-eyed and get up on the surface, but I really don't think it's enough to car about. It's a daily driver and not a showcar....but hey it looks damn close to it! try the zaino out, you might be really impressed depending on what you are using now.

As far as your monsters are concerned. alot of those monsters are not getting the product out all the way. It's a good idea to always do a little QD after each coat, this will get alot of that leftover crap out. Also, doing a final buff with just a MF towel will help immensly. I have black and serious lack of demons.
What I am using is a very light compound just for this issue. I just cannot remember the name of it I'm guilty of getting stuck on a product, if it works. What I am using so far works great, but I like to keep up with new products too. Yes, I know well the monsters you describe, leftover product, but what I am talking about are those darn swirl marks. It takes a while to work those out of the paint using such a light compound product as I am.
I have the finish of this car where it needs to be, but keeping it there is more work than I'm going to want to do as I grow older, after all I bought a Lexus to make my life simpler.
Old 07-06-12, 05:34 AM
sajack
Advanced

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts

Zaino is the finest polish ever made. I have been using it for 12 years and have converted several friends over to it.
Old 07-07-12, 01:24 PM
aqbill
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I like the Klasse polish and sealant!
Old 07-07-12, 02:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Pics look great everybody!

Zaino is a good product, Klasse is a little finicky to me.

One thing though, despite what Sal calls it...Zaino isn't a polish...its a sealant. At least Z2 and Z5 which is what we're referring to when we talk about "Zaino". A polish has to have some way of cleaning or improving the paint surface, some kind of either chemical cleaner (like Klasse AIO) or a mechanical abrasive such as you would find in a machine polish, or swirl remover. I don't know why he calls it a polish, probably just so it stands out.

If you like Zaino you might also like Ultima Paint Guard Plus...
Old 07-07-12, 02:17 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

this car detailed myself W/ Zaino Z17, Z18, ZFX, Z2, Z5, Z6, Z8, ZCS.
Old 07-07-12, 02:23 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

this car i detailed myself W/ Chemical Guys CGCWG, DAWN, IRONX, BLACKLIGHT, WET MIRROR FINISH, wiped down with HYBRID V7. ZCS on wheels, CGTG on tires. Chemical Guys is my new go to product. and i used a lot less chemical in less hours than i did with ZAINO.http://www.flickr.com/photos/76804690@N05/7456691602/http://www.flickr.com/photos/76804690@N05/7456691602/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/76804690@N05/, on Flickr
Old 07-07-12, 02:28 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

i know that neither car is an LS but i was just showing a comparison. and i did use a porter cable 7424XP on both cars when applying the chemicals. an LS460 is on my to do list.
Old 07-07-12, 02:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Looks great! Chemical Guys makes some great products too.

Quick Reply: Zaino!