Rear brakes or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-10, 08:35 AM
kopaj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brakes or something else?

Hello all,

I am noticing a "creeking" sound from my rear tires (I assume brakes) when I come to a stop. The sound is not there when the car has sat overnight and I brake for the first few times but then it starts right up. I wonder if I need to replace the pads, machine rotors, etc....or if there is another issue. I know i know...i should go into the dealer (especially when I sold the GM's house but I HATE going into that dealership. I think the $160 oil changes angered me when I know its a Toyota filter and I can get it for $43 at Toyota. I would much rather buy the OEM part and take it to Toyota where the cost is SO much less. I just want to have everything I need before I take it in.

Has anyone experienced this sound before. There is no squealing or high pitched noise, just creeking like steeping on old stairs.

HELP! And thank you!
Old 05-28-10, 09:48 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

I would take the rear brakes pads off, clean the pads and the anti-squeal shims (2 metal pieces per tire), then apply synthetic brake grease to the inside parts of the shims.

Also ensure that the rear pistons move freely, taking care not to damage the rubber seal when moving the pistons.

Make sure the anti-rattle clip and the tiny clip holding the bolt in have enough tension. If not, you can purchase a new brake shim kit from one an online vendor - would likely be cheaper than going to your local dealership.

When you put the lugs back on, torque them all evenly to OEM spec (my 2002 spec is 76 ft-lbs)
Old 05-28-10, 10:15 AM
kopaj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

StanVanDam,

Thank you very much for the informative reply. You are truly knowledgeable and may safe me some money!
Old 05-28-10, 10:20 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

trying to expand the options of possibilities... you might also look at the rear shocks. Try bouncing the car up and down (while it is parked and off). If you hear those noises, then it isn't your brakes. It's the suspension.
Old 05-29-10, 07:14 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Have you tried experimenting/listening while going in REVERSE and applying the brakes? My first idea was similar to what DDLexus mentioned. I first thought of 2 pieces of metal or rubber pertaining to the suspension/shocks/swaybar/etc.

Push down many times on the rear bumper area and observe. Noise present would lead me to suspension?

I'd also find a large clear area and experiment with going in reverse about 10mpg and applying the brakes. Noise present would lead me to brakes, although could be suspension?..lol.

Something else which may isolate a brakes issue from suspension issue is if you can jack the rear of the car up and start the engine, put into drive, then apply the brakes. Noise present would lead me to brakes?

You can also spray a heavy stream of water all throughout the underside of the car, saturating everywhere underneath the car, and I mean EVERYWHERE (except inside the tailpipes) then drive the car again. My thoughts with that is the water will act like a temporary lubricant to the suspension components and it should disappear when it's the undercarriage is still all wet. Noise present would lead me to brakes?

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 05-29-10 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-30-10, 03:03 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
...Something else which may isolate a brakes issue from suspension issue is if you can jack the rear of the car up and start the engine, put into drive, then apply the brakes. ...
Ala Ferris Bueller?