LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Advice on a couple of 2004 LS 430's

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-10 | 06:22 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Default Advice on a couple of 2004 LS 430's

Hello everyone,

First post here on the forum. I'm looking for some help and advice on a couple of cars I've been considering. I'm looking at the LS430 to use as a daily driver.

The first car is a 2004 LS 430 with just over 50,000 miles. It's Crystal White Pearl and has the modern luxury package plus the sport suspension.

The second is another 2004 but this time with a little over 100,000 on the clock. It's in Cypress, and it also has modern luxury but with the addition of chrome wheels.

Both seem to be solid cars but each has a different potential problem.

The white car is in very good shape other than a problem with the motors in the steering adjustment. The motors that handle the tilt adjustment work fine, the problem is with the telescope adjustment - the motors don't work... The wheel is actually adjusted just fine for me as it is, the problem is it can't be adjusted for any other drivers and of course it can't get fully out of the way to help you get in and out of the car. There's a minor nick on one of the seats but otherwise a great car. Does anyone have any thoughts on what a replacement telescope adjustment motor is likely to run? Based on some initial searches here, I suspect it may be a relatively expensive.

The Cypress car, despite its 100K miles, actually has the nicer interior - it is utterly flawless. It's actually in the best shape of any of the 5 or 6 2004 LS 430's I've seen and driven over the last few days. The problems here are that it seems that the sub in the rear parcel shelf has blown (it distorts with moderate volume), there is what seems like a minor valvetrain tick when the car is warm and the passenger mirror doesn't always respond when you try to adjust it up. Question here is does anyone have any input into the cost of a new sub (this is, of course, for the Mark Levinson), what might be the issue with the mirror and whether I need to be concerned about the valvetrain ticking (which is there, but not excessive). The car drives as well as the white car despite the miles, there's some door creak but I'm confident I can solve that with a little maintenance on the rubber seals.

In terms of price, I'm looking at around 21K out the door on the Cypress but the dealer's being tougher on the Crystal white - probably 25K out the door.

Anyone got any thoughts on the above? I've been amazingly impressed with the LS430, it's a wonderful car and perfect for my needs. We're already in the Lexus family as my wife has the RX450h and that's been a tremendous car too.

Thanks in advance for any input, I'm looking forward to participating here and getting to know you guys!
Old 05-31-10 | 07:33 PM
thinkin
Pole Position

I think for those prices you're better off looking around for an '05 CPO car (don't think you'll get an '04 CPO anymore). I got my '04 CPO Ultra Luxury with 16k miles for $29k back in October. I would think you could get an '05 ML or CL with 40-ish-k miles for $27-28k now. Then you won't have to worry about all the niggling (but $$$) things that can go wrong for 3 years. A few trips to the dealer and that money you saved on a non-CPO car will evaporate pretty fast.
Old 05-31-10 | 07:38 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Welcome! If you've only been looking for a few days, keep looking. It sounds like both of these cars have problems. There are cars coming on the market daily. Set up an auto- notify search on Autotrader. Call all Lexus dealers within 200 miles and alert them to your search. They will call you when a promising car shows up.
Old 05-31-10 | 07:49 PM
thinkin
Pole Position

+1 on what caddy says re: the dealers. I was looking for a few months for mine, and found it when the salesman from a local dealer gave me a call that they had one about to hit the lot the next day. I had been scoping out the lots and Autotrader at every opportunity and really wanted the right car and a saddle interior.

I got there 30m after they first put it out and there were already several people looking seriously at it. I could tell there were at least two buyers there, so I didn't let the keys get away from my salesman until I knew what I wanted to do and how much I was willing to pay. We made the deal work and I bought the car on the spot.

If you spend the time to strike up a relationship with a salesman at a few nearby dealers and tell them the range of cars you're looking for they will shower you with choices as they come in.
Old 05-31-10 | 08:03 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Thanks guys - appreciate the input. I've set up an Autotrader alert. In terms if pricing, the numbers I gave are out the door so they were including sales tax (9.25% here in the Bay Area...) and all fees. Doesn't look like there are too many '05s on the market right now, but I'm in no rush and can (and will) keep looking.
thanks again
Old 05-31-10 | 08:18 PM
Jabberwock

Keep looking and be patient - its not easy to find a cream puff LS 430, but it can be done if you put in the work and research and you remain patient, it absolutely can be done. Let the people that are in a hurry buy the dogs.
Old 05-31-10 | 08:55 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I would be interested in service records from the start. The ML with sport suspension is a model I would be happy to have, or just the base with sport suspension. I got my base 04 with 55 k on it for 17 k 2 years ago if that helps a little.
Old 06-01-10 | 07:55 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Thanks again for the input and suggestions. I'm widening the net in the search for the 430. It is the car I want. In the meantime, does anyone have any insight into the cost of the steering column telescoping motor repair and the cost to replace the rear subwoofer? I'm going to check in with the service dept at my local dealership today too but would be good to hear if anyone else here has any insight.
Old 06-01-10 | 08:28 AM
thinkin
Pole Position

The SW part is a bit under $300 IIRC. Mine was on the CPO list of things they fixed and it's part number 86160-0w260.

I'm guessing $500-ish out the door through a dealer. I've no clue on the steering motor cost but imagine it could get pricey.
Old 06-01-10 | 08:28 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

As others have said, be patient, especially if there's no immediate need or sense of urgency to get a vehicle. That said, once you see something you like and it's potentially 'trouble free' out of the box and priced right after negotiating, be prepared to act quickly as others may be thinking the same thing.

I'd been searching for several weeks and chased a coupla 430's which would have been settling on less than the ideal (which seems to be the case in your two stated choices). Then, a local Craigslist (Orange County, Ca) just posted listing caught my eye one evening - 2002 LS430 - Nav, ML, etc. 41k local So. Cal. miles (low mileage really sealed the deal). Called and saw it had nary a scratch so bought the car on the spot from a private party. Couldn't be happier.

Bottom line, patience can be rewarded. Good luck in your search and as Pasteur once said "Chance favors the prepared mind."

Last edited by mewhee; 06-01-10 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-01-10 | 10:26 AM
swajames
Pole Position

thinkin - thanks for the info. I'll post back with what the service guys say later on the likely range to fix the steering.

mewhee - we're on the same page. I'm in no real rush, the only issue I see is there aren't too many 430's on the market here in the bay area right now and if those wrinkles on the two cars I highlighted were addressed they'd be in very good shape. I'm looking for a car without a story and other than those issues that need fixing the cars look to be in very good condition with good history. That said, like you I would definitely prefer a car that was basically good to go out of the box...
Old 06-01-10 | 09:47 PM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Ditto to most of the above...I got an 04 CPO back in March for 19K. It had 65K miles when I took ownership and the car is absolutely perfect. Now... it is not CL or UL and I didn't want nav either. The only think I feel I am missing out on is that leather dash in the CL and UL. My dealer threw in (at half off) the 125K mile Lexus warranty. Good luck and welcome to CL!
Old 06-02-10 | 12:56 PM
thinkin
Pole Position

I really like the doo dads on my UL, but I think CL is overall the best balanced package to beat. No air susp worries if that bugs you and you get the double-paned glass and full leather treatment extending through the dash, console and door panels of the UL. Love the power door closers too. Those are almost "must haves" for me in a 430, but I can sure respect the choice of a base/Premium for the keep-it-simple types.

On the other hand the UL impresses even more hugely with the back seat stuff and gliding ride.... so I think there are great arguments to go for any package. The 430 is a superb car in any guise!

Last edited by thinkin; 06-02-10 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-02-10 | 06:05 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

I've been on this forum since 2006 but have started looking for a 2001-2002 LS for about a week now and have only come across some less than desirable colors at the Lexus Dealerships. I've seen 2 Greens, both clean, and a very low mileage light grey (not sure of the color name). The light grey has a beige interior which won't work for my needs (Realtor). I won't go near the private used car lots for fear of anything and everything. I believe that here in SE Florida, as soon as a clean car with a decent color arrives, it's gone. White and Silver are my choices and up to 75,000 miles will work. Surprisingly enough, there are many low mileage cars here in Florida. I've put in my order at one dealership and now need to do the same for all. Have you guys had luck with the Lexus Dealerships or do you find them too high? I am extremely particular and will not go near any car with paint work or signs of wear on interior. I'm willing to pay more for a "jewel". Fortunately....I have all the time in the world to buy.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 06-02-10 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-02-10 | 08:56 PM
swajames
Pole Position

The latest update is that my local dealer failed to return 2 calls to discuss repair costs on the two cars I mentioned in my original post. One of the cars has now gone anyway, the other is the one that needs just the steering motor fixed but it's kind of moot when the service guys fail to respond...

Anyway, I'm seeing what looks like a promising car tomorrow - a 2006 CPO with 32k on the clock, seemingly flawless based on the pictures the dealer sent me and ostensibly no issues... Perhaps a little more than I wanted to pay but looks like a solid car. I'll keep you guys updated!

Quick Reply: Advice on a couple of 2004 LS 430's