LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Blacked out Heads and Tails "Yay or Nay" ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-10, 07:09 PM
Dirtyd210
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blacked out Heads and Tails "Yay or Nay" ???

So I saw one of the cleanest LS' I've seen in a while.. Black on Black w/Black 20's... What I liked most was the blacked out heads and tails they had.. I previously thought of doing that on my white LS and was looking for some insight or opinions... I tried headlight restoration on one of my headlight lenses that was a little blurrier than the other, but it is still slightly noticeable especially at night. As if one was slightly brighter than the other.. My thoughts were maybe I can save a few bucks from replacing the lens while also doing a cool mod... Maybe even ad a black grill and matching rims too in the future... Any thoughts... I'll post a pic of the LS I saw.. I had to snap a pic when I drove by..

Thanks Members..
Old 06-05-10, 07:13 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i think the slightly blacked out headlights adds a real cool look but save yourself the laughs and don't do the tails... this was the last and worst mod i did to my 99 gs400 before i finally gave up and sold it... it is obviously reversible but my blacked out tail lights on my white gs made it look like a freakin maxima and completely took away from what i was trying to achieve. i will never do the tails again but the headlights done properly can look real nice.

if you can get the headlights opened up and have the inside chrome shinny part sanded down and sprayed with a flat matte black it will look killer but this is all i give the thumbs up for.
Old 06-05-10, 07:44 PM
Dirtyd210
Driver

http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/...ckedout430.jpg

pic of Black LS
Old 06-05-10, 08:15 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

dude those headlights are way to dark in that pic. i'm all about moding but that guy prolly cant even see when he drives at night. and if you've ever seen the ones where the inside of the lights are painted and not just the clear outer cover i think you would agree that it looks dope. those overlays are for eclipse's in the 90's,, in fact i had an eclipse with those on it back in the 90's... they can actually heat up and break ur lights on the older cars at least.
Old 06-05-10, 09:33 PM
Dirtyd210
Driver

I thought they looked kinda dark too..but the back lights were tinted too and it looked as if the whole car all blended in.. Like it was just murdered out black.. It looked pretty dope when I saw it.. I dunno how the visibility would be though..
Old 06-05-10, 09:57 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirtyd210
Im all for doing something unique but that ^^^ is a NAY. Headlights blend in with the body. You cant see where is the headlight and where is the fender. And imo grill stands out too much. If you wanna do it, do something like this...

Its not LS but you get the idea.
Old 06-06-10, 04:20 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

that ^ ^ ^ reminds me of a vip'ed out hearse, or a hearsed out vip cima (or is that a presidente?). y32 though from shiga i think?
Old 06-06-10, 09:36 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xuserx04
Im all for doing something unique but that ^^^ is a NAY. Headlights blend in with the body. You cant see where is the headlight and where is the fender. And imo grill stands out too much. If you wanna do it, do something like this...

Its not LS but you get the idea.
I really like that Y32.

As for the tinted lights... no. Buy you some Aftermarket Option Racing LEDs. Tinted lights look too Pontiac/Chevrolet for me. You see those tinted covers on redneck pickup trucks and old American Sedans and sports cars (Some look ok) but I would just stay away from that look to be safe.

You also should take into consideration a cops view of your lights if you paint them - Im sure they would write you a ticket in a heart beat. I Had a buddy who painted his lights on his 1993 Saleen Mustang and was pulled over and issued a citation. They weren't even really that dark, kind of a dark ruby red.
Old 06-06-10, 11:13 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

but if you open up the headlights and only paint the chrome shinny part on the inside it is not illegal and will not affect the light output at all and will still give you the desired look.
Old 06-06-10, 12:19 PM
SteveM
Driver

^^^ Is what I would do if you wanted to darken the headlights. As mentioned above, I find many headlight tints or plastic covers look really cheap and would take away from the LS. Blacked out is a good look if done properly. Maybe start with tinting all around? And maybe switching the emblems to the black ones, not sure how that would work with the grille though
Old 06-06-10, 12:43 PM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

I can see a light tint but that gets..... from me, and if you going to murder the car then murder everything black!
Old 06-06-10, 09:52 PM
CLIS250
Pole Position

nay from me. sorry.
Old 06-06-10, 11:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Blacking out the interior assembly can look good on a dark car but otherwise, I think factory headlights are good as they are. Tails, maybe a light tint but to me, factory is fine. Maybe a custom LED panel in the tails if you want something different.
Old 06-08-10, 02:04 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nay!!!!............
Old 06-08-10, 02:11 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

Nay on blacked out heads and tails. Tints all around are nice. The black pearl emblems would look nice on any light-colored car.

Quick Reply: Blacked out Heads and Tails "Yay or Nay" ???