Need advice on pricing for 2004 premium with CPO

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-10, 10:12 AM
914eener
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on pricing for 2004 premium with CPO

Hi all;

New to the board and Lexus. Currently have a 99 Corvette convertible, 96 Miata type R and the wifes grocery getter 05 Camry (112k miles and haven't put a nickel in it other than scheduled maint which I do myself). I've done a lot of research on the LS430 and it seems to be the ideal commuter/trip car and that's how it will be used.

I'm considering a silver 04 with premium package (I know it's a base option car) and CPO with 40k miles at the local Lexus dealer (Savannah GA). It's a one owner traded on an LS460. All service done at the dealer every 5k. No accident history but has a couple of paint scratches the dealer will have to repair.

They are asking 27.5k which is too high. I'm thinking an offer of 22k is more appropriate. Based on the current market do you think that offer is close to the actual market price? If they can't get to that price there are plenty of 04/05 CPO's with that mileage and better option packages in Florida at that price listed on Autotrader. I'm in absolutely no hurry to buy the car.

914eener
Hilton Head Island SC
Old 06-06-10, 10:18 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by 914eener
Hi all;

New to the board and Lexus. Currently have a 99 Corvette convertible, 96 Miata type R and the wifes grocery getter 05 Camry (112k miles and haven't put a nickel in it other than scheduled maint which I do myself). I've done a lot of research on the LS430 and it seems to be the ideal commuter/trip car and that's how it will be used.

I'm considering a silver 04 with premium package (I know it's a base option car) and CPO with 40k miles at the local Lexus dealer (Savannah GA). It's a one owner traded on an LS460. All service done at the dealer every 5k. No accident history but has a couple of paint scratches the dealer will have to repair.

They are asking 27.5k which is too high. I'm thinking an offer of 22k is more appropriate. Based on the current market do you think that offer is close to the actual market price? If they can't get to that price there are plenty of 04/05 CPO's with that mileage and better option packages in Florida at that price listed on Autotrader. I'm in absolutely no hurry to buy the car.

914eener
Hilton Head Island SC
I too have been looking for an exceptional LS430 and have found that for the right color, equipment, and mileage, there are very few out there that are not priced strong. It's hard to find a good value unless something is sacraficed. For the right car, most probably you will have pay the strong bucks. CPO naturally demand the highest. Of course there is always an opportunity out there as long as you have the time.
Old 06-06-10, 12:08 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 651 Likes on 406 Posts

I've not seen any 04 CPO's in my searches, but as a point of reference I bought an 04 yesterday (51K miles, modern luxury package, sport package, full main dealer service history) for 22,400.
Old 06-06-10, 12:09 PM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Owning an NA Miata, you're obviously a smart guy. I think you're fairly close on your offer, I would maybe go $24k tops if it's immaculate and, most importantly, exactly what you want. For reference I managed $29k for a 16k miles '04 UL CPO last October. Keep looking around if they won't deal, they are out there and if you put feelers out to all the local dealers you will eventually get hits, don't settle for a color or package you don't really want.

I did not think true CPO was available any more on an '04 - is it very late production/in-service date?
Old 06-06-10, 12:28 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by thinkin
Owning an NA Miata, you're obviously a smart guy. I think you're fairly close on your offer, I would maybe go $24k tops if it's immaculate and, most importantly, exactly what you want. For reference I managed $29k for a 16k miles '04 UL CPO last October. Keep looking around if they won't deal, they are out there and if you put feelers out to all the local dealers you will eventually get hits, don't settle for a color or package you don't really want.

I did not think true CPO was available any more on an '04 - is it very late production/in-service date?
I've been finding that there are numerous cars out there with not so popular colors. It's not easy to find a Crystal White or Silver, and almost all have the light beige interior. I can't understand that in Florida, why there are so few White or Silver LS430s for sale. Adding to the equation either a grey or black interior is that much more difficult.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 06-06-10 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-06-10, 12:49 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Go after a nicely optioned car. There is no reason to get a base or near base when buying a used car. It makes it that much harder to resell later when you done with it. The price on the car you are looking at is WAY too high. The dealer is crazy to even list at the price. That is what these were worth 2-3 years ago. Expand your search. There are loads and loads of LS430's available in the higher income areas of Florida.
Old 06-06-10, 03:22 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Way high, keep looking I got a 04 back in October 09 with 55 k and complete service records for 17 k with 55 k miles(no scratches at all). Dude yur getting ripped off if you pay more than 20 g's.

I have not had a peep of trouble out of this car. Buy from a one owner old fart in FLA 06 so you get the power train warrantee with servcie history and laugh all the way to the bank. I love the premium pkg. No outdated nav, never use blue tooth, stereo sounds just fine. It is just a fine automobile.
Old 06-06-10, 04:21 PM
Rspencer55
Driver School Candidate

I bought an 04 Premium CPO moonlight white with tan interior and 56,000 (all service records too) in March for 21,500 in Chicago. Its a great car and I'm happy with the deal I got.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 06-06-10, 05:51 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you want a premium trim level, that's fine. A lot of folks prefer not to have a factory nav unit and value the other capabilities of the car. If you keep this car for 4-5 or more years, you will get very little more for it with 10+ year old navigation technology in it. Plus if it breaks, you'll have to fix it because the radio and HVAC controls are integrated into it. The only reason I have nav is because I wanted the other features of the custom luxury trim and thought the non-nav dash looked too Toyota-esque.

As for price, it seems about what other dealers are asking for that age CPO cars. Hopefully you can find some other cars you also like so dealers will have to work for your business.
Old 06-07-10, 04:49 PM
914eener
Driver School Candidate

Called the dealer back and told them I'm going to continue to look for a CPO pearl white/tan with custom luxury package. Set up a search on Autotrader. That's the nice thing about not being in a hurry...I can wait until the right car comes my way.
Old 06-07-10, 05:17 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

When searching on autotrader, you won't be able to search for "custom luxury" because most dealers, Lexus or not, won't list it that way or don't know what they are selling. Search all current listing pics and then all new listing pics daily for LS430s:

- With headlamp washers (easy to spot) and
- Without radio controls on rear armrest or
- With a fullsize trunk or
- Without suspension switch in center stack or
- Without side window shade latchs on rear doors.

You can also search for CPOs nationally on lexus.com by NOT specifying a zip code or state.
Old 06-07-10, 05:20 PM
914eener
Driver School Candidate

Thanks...that will help.
Old 06-07-10, 05:27 PM
Rspencer55
Driver School Candidate

Also, make sure that you check out the carfax - I did this last night and saw several CPO's which were in accidents and one that was in two accidents that they still certified?
Old 06-07-10, 05:31 PM
914eener
Driver School Candidate

The first question on my list is always "what is the VIN". I wouldn't even seriously consider a car without having a Carfax on it.
Old 06-07-10, 05:42 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Most dealers will provide a carfax at no charge. You can get an autocheck subscription and double check it. Also get the Lexus service history (Lexus owner's center) and an independent mechanic inspection. If the car is in a distant city, post a request here and in the regional forum asking for someone to take a look at the car and recommend an independent mechanic. You should be good-to-go.

Quick Reply: Need advice on pricing for 2004 premium with CPO