LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS Withdrawal

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-10, 08:49 PM
Luthor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS to a smart for me. Not by choice. My LS 400 was hit, so a had a rental for two weeks untill I could find my LS 430. Every one thought it was a joke, and I guess it was seeing that I am 6'5. But when I had my LS towed into the shop and the only clean rental that I can take right then was the Smart. I was way too tired and just wanted to get home. I told myself as soon as I knew that my car was going to be fixed I would switch out into something bigger, Town Car or DTS. But that day didn't come, and I wanted to really put all available funds into the purchase of the next car.
I still hear the clown music in my head when a see another smart car though.
Old 07-19-10, 09:04 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Originally Posted by SteveM
Driving the LS is definately an addictive pleasure and the word withdrawal is accurate.

Sometimes I find I want to drive it even after riding in friend's vehicles or when it has sat for as little as a day or two.

Some people think I'm crazy when they ask me what I'm up to on any given afternoon and I respond "going driving in the sun!"
lol if this was facebook i would "like" your status, i dont care if people think its an 18 year old dated car, i love driving it and i dont know how i got along with out it, and my next car will be a lexus.
Old 12-27-10, 09:18 PM
Handy98
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Luthor
I guess it was seeing that I am 6'5. But when I had my LS towed into the shop and the only clean rental that I can take right then was the Smart.
OK, I can't stop laughing! I saw this once on a military base in Italy. The guy was easily 6'5" and driving onto the base I could tell the little Fiat 5000 in front was packed with some poor guy could couldn't lift his head. I started to giggle. I couldn't stop. Got to the post office and he parked a few spaces over. Now the giggles have taken over. The guy UNFOLDS himself out of the car and i tried to look away to stiffle the laugh, but it wasn't going to be stopped. I CRACKED UP. I wonder if he drove that car much longer.

I love my 98. Been trying to trade it in for a few years now but I just can't. I work at a wheel store -- a wholesaler. The guys laugh and tell me I need a new car AND new wheels. I went through a rash of problems a few years ago and they couldn't believe I stuck with it and fixed it, all those pansies keep trading in and making more car payments because they can't be bothered. WHATEVER. Maybe if they started with a car that was really nice, they wouldn't toss them out for every little glitch. Oh, they don't have time but I have a full time job and two small kids so I'm sticking with this theory -- THEY DON'T DRIVE A LEXUS.

One thing I would give it up for though. I had a 95 SC400 until i conceded baby car seats just weren't going to work with that door/back seat. *Sigh* I love sports cars. An SC400 stick, i could dream about that. I see them now and i'm not as attached, but the ride, I loved it.
Old 12-28-10, 05:43 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, this thread is back, ehh? Just in time.

Last Weds, I fell on my sloped, icy driveway while shoveling snow. Despite my middle-aged-ness, I popped back up and continued shoveling. My left leg hurt a bit, but I didn't really have any problems driving the LS around town later in the week. We had a 4 hour round trip in the Subaru planned for Sunday, but I cancelled it due to closed, icy freeways and not wanting to risk that type of outing with my wife's health conditions.

On Monday, I took the Subie to work and about 1/2 hour into my commute my upper left leg was killing me. I couldn't find a comfortable position so the commute to and from work was not fun. I was really glad we didn't try to drive 4+ hours in that car the day before. The only thing that helped was the heated seat.

Today I drove the LS430 and my leg felt much better. There was still a bit of discomfort in the leg, but it was nothing compared to driving the Subie. The only downside was that the heated seats in my LS are much weaker than in the Subie. Normally this wouldn't be a big problem for me, as I don't use the heated seat very often. But, with a sore upper leg, the heat helps.
Old 12-28-10, 05:55 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Agree the heated seats feel great when its cold. We keep the cabin heat dialed to 67 most of the time and just use the seat heaters to warm us on cold days.

Growing up years ago, I never even knew there was such a thing as a heated car seat. Sure would have come in handy in all those Chicago winters...my cars were always parked on the street so it made for some cold morning driving to school or to work.
Old 12-28-10, 07:11 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

See another feature of the LS... it soothes sore backs, legs, and thighs... It's like Chicken Soup for the Driver. I did not have time to switch to my Blizzaks before the blizzard hit, but would have liked to have tried the LS in the 24" covering we got on Sunday/Monday. I wasn't going to try anything with my ContiProContacts...
Old 12-28-10, 07:31 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Spent a few days away in my grandfathers BMW E60 528xi. Wasn't a downgrade in any way (the heated seats + heated steering wheel work really well), but I started to miss the LS anyway, mainly for the effortless acceleration. Took her out after sitting in the garage for a week and she started up instantly. Drove smooth as ever and reminded me why I chose the LS
Old 12-28-10, 02:14 PM
2004TOYO
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive a chevy 1500 v6 pickup 5 days aweek b/c of work so when its time to get in the "Vanilla Bean" LS I'm truly excited. I dont have a tint, that way everyone can see me smiling & driving! Ahhhhh
Old 12-30-10, 10:37 AM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Been driving my wife's Honda Pilot all last week and this as I took my dog to work. A pretty comfortable ride but today took the LS and wow, what a difference. Total quietness and any road harshness gone. Gotta love the Lexus.
Old 12-30-10, 11:21 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I was in PA for the holiday, and as soon as I heard there was a blizzard en route, I convinced my wife to say goodbye a little early and not stay another night and drive in the middle of the night back home to NY. Yes, we just got new MXV4's, and even though they are considered good tires, they are not life savers and or snow tires, and just felt it was the smart thing to do to run from the storm. We got home when it just started to drizzle flakes. Lexie has been in the garage since Saturday, beautifully zainoed with just a light film of dust on her. What a queen! I look outside and then crack the garage door to check on her and am so happy We made that decision. I cannot wait to take her out again. I think in a few days to a week, once the snow is fully gone for the most part, I will take her out. I am longing to get behind the wheel. By Monday, I should be going mad. Love this car!
Old 12-30-10, 11:27 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by airtime
Been driving my wife's Honda Pilot all last week and this as I took my dog to work. A pretty comfortable ride but today took the LS and wow, what a difference. Total quietness and any road harshness gone. Gotta love the Lexus.
My inlaw has a new pilot. I don't know if it's me, but I find the ride so harsh, (non touring edition) I wind up getting nausious and having to close my eyes in and swollowing allot. It could be his driving- I dunno! But I'm starting to think I might have an issue with grey interiors, as his is grey, and it reminds me allot of my HS days being stuffed in extended dodge vans with grey vinyl seats on soccer road trips for matches , with a butch of stinky bastards on the back roads of Maine. I think I am scared for life from grey interiors because now when I see them, I have a tendency to get sick.
Old 12-30-10, 12:36 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
But I'm starting to think I might have an issue with grey interiors, as his is grey, and it reminds me allot of my HS days being stuffed in extended dodge vans with grey vinyl seats on soccer road trips for matches , with a butch of stinky bastards on the back roads of Maine. I think I am scared for life from grey interiors because now when I see them, I have a tendency to get sick.
Funny as my pilot is gray leather
Old 01-02-11, 12:44 AM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've been doing a bit of running around the shopping centres and industrial district over the last few weeks and have tried to take the 430 as little as possible - mainly to avoid it being driven into when parked in a mall parking lot by someone more focussed on their christmas shopping than anyone else.
My missus drives an 05 Pathfinder and it's ride and comfort level is the polar opposite of the lexus. After a couple of days in the summer sun with no tinting on the pathy's windows and rolling and bumping across the suburbs I was already pining for the UV protection and quiet,soft interior of the 430.
Her holidays finish tomorrow,so I guess I'll have to take the lexus everywhere after that...oh,what a chore!!! ;-p

Justin...
Old 01-02-11, 04:35 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^
Speaking of polar opposites... Yes, this would be your good driving season - except for the crazies at the mall.
Old 01-02-11, 09:13 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fergo308
We've been doing a bit of running around the shopping centres and industrial district over the last few weeks and have tried to take the 430 as little as possible - mainly to avoid it being driven into when parked in a mall parking lot by someone more focussed on their christmas shopping than anyone else.
My missus drives an 05 Pathfinder and it's ride and comfort level is the polar opposite of the lexus. After a couple of days in the summer sun with no tinting on the pathy's windows and rolling and bumping across the suburbs I was already pining for the UV protection and quiet,soft interior of the 430.
Her holidays finish tomorrow,so I guess I'll have to take the lexus everywhere after that...oh,what a chore!!! ;-p

Justin...
Haha I didn't even have time for christmas shopping this yr, so it was much easier

Quick Reply: LS Withdrawal