LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Are All Lexus Dealers This Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-10, 09:27 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard that Jaguar has good dealer service, too.
Old 06-09-10, 09:27 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

agree amcdonal86! totally agree, its business there not really our friends and tell us were the best customer they ever had and were different and a great person, all BULL!! HAHAHAHA! I agree fellow member!!! L.G.N.M
Old 06-10-10, 04:45 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by usermel
agree amcdonal86! totally agree, its business there not really our friends and tell us were the best customer they ever had and were different and a great person, all BULL!! HAHAHAHA! I agree fellow member!!! L.G.N.M
I agree it all business nothing personal, and once you remove the emotion & passion from the buying experience (save for after the sale) your prospective changes. Like I have told every sales guy who thinks he got me where he wants me I'm here b/c I want a car, not cause I need the car and I'm willing to help you make a living not a killing! I will walk knowing they are not the only dealer in town nor in the US, I went to TX over a month ago due to that dealer beat out all four Lexus dealers here in the ATL. My experience was top notch with the dealer, I have no issues with my last dealer far as CS so I use them for srv on the new LS. We as the customer have to remember that we have the pwr, they would not be here if it were not for us period. We have gotten a custom to being shocked when we do get excellent customer srv instead of expecting it due to the fact it is their dayum job to provide vs treating us like they are doing us a favor. CS seems to be dead no matter who you deal with banks, retail, srv, etc these days, it is time for the consumer to wake the hell up and demand better from business that want out hard earned $$$$, the issue will continue to get worse not better.

To the OP I think you should contact corp. in Cali, (Hand written certified letter) who knows how many complaints that dealer has and yours just might be the tipping point. You are not over reacting and deserve the level of CS that Lexus lives by and promotes.

Great job as always guys with your post in this thread.
Old 06-10-10, 05:27 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Then there's the Lexus covanent:

http://www.lexus.com/quality/in_our_commitment.html
Old 06-10-10, 05:33 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I agree Customer Service is dead but I think that is not a function of any particular business, rather its a function of our culture that for years has celebrated making as much money as possible by doing little as possible. Many young people especially think paying your dues and working hard for your money is for suckers and proles.

Large percentage of all company employees (both managers and line workers) of virtually any company, do as little as possible in their job. The net result is we all give and get crappy customer service and pay through the nose for the crap work and service we do get.

In the rare occasions when you do get great customer service, it is a function of the individual not a specific company. It happens when you get lucky and run into that rare individual who is still 100% honest and who still really cares about doing a good job...they are still out there, but getting more and more rare each year.

Lexus as a company is at least trying to do it right in my opinion - their company culture seeks to create a high quality service experience - but a significant portion of the Lexus employees in reality just don't give a rat's patoot about providing quality service.
Old 06-10-10, 07:54 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

To improve customer service, employees are instructed to follow the "Lexus Covenant," the marque's founding promise (which states that "Lexus will treat each customer as we would a guest in our home"),[201]

Found this on the Wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus)
Old 06-10-10, 08:45 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DDLexus
To improve customer service, employees are instructed to follow the "Lexus Covenant," the marque's founding promise (which states that "Lexus will treat each customer as we would a guest in our home"),[201]

Found this on the Wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus)
right ,,,, well i can honestly say that the only lexus dealership i have ever been to where this held true was in Osaka Japan and i told the guy straight up that i was just on vacation there and not a resident so therefore not even a potential sale... i pretty much got a tour of their facilities and had to refuse test drives of their new LS600hL more times than i care to remember, as well as being given hard cover books of both the 460 and 600hL as souvenirs, which are beautiful by the way. i think its just our culture to treat each other the way we do.
Old 06-10-10, 09:30 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

I couldn't be more pleased with my Lexus dealer. Just had my 60,000 mile service done. Here's how it went.

Prior to dealer service, I had my Michelin tires balanced and rotated at Costco, no charge. I purchased from my dealer and then installed engine inlet air filter, cabin a/c filter, and rear a/c filter (not a requirement of 60,000 mile service but wanted to do it anyway) for total cost of $119.89

Dealer performed 60,000 mile service which included Mobil oil/filter, brake system flush and 30-point inspection, which satisfied all requirements of 60,000 mile service. Dealer cost: $226.43

Total cost of 60,000 mile service: $346.43 and my extended warranty is assured.

Dealer also provided me with an 09 ES350 with 6000 miles at no charge.

What's not to like?
Old 06-10-10, 10:00 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

My dealership (Wesminster) treats me great
From the greeter, to the SA, to the loaners, to the donuts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I agree Customer Service is dead but I think that is not a function of any particular business, rather its a function of our culture that for years has celebrated making as much money as possible by doing little as possible. Many young people especially think paying your dues and working hard for your money is for suckers and proles.

Large percentage of all company employees (both managers and line workers) of virtually any company, do as little as possible in their job. The net result is we all give and get crappy customer service and pay through the nose for the crap work and service we do get.

In the rare occasions when you do get great customer service, it is a function of the individual not a specific company. It happens when you get lucky and run into that rare individual who is still 100% honest and who still really cares about doing a good job...they are still out there, but getting more and more rare each year.

Lexus as a company is at least trying to do it right in my opinion - their company culture seeks to create a high quality service experience - but a significant portion of the Lexus employees in reality just don't give a rat's patoot about providing quality service.
great post

And that one Lexus employee who don't give a rat's *** should be written up by the general manager. He is the one that is making that dealership look bad.
Old 06-10-10, 10:09 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Lexus in general is getting cocky now, they think they are freaking Bentley for god's sake.

Just ignore all those A-holes and call Lexus Corporate, they care what their customer think.
Old 06-10-10, 10:39 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Culture

Originally Posted by sojah
right ,,,, well i can honestly say that the only lexus dealership i have ever been to where this held true was in Osaka Japan and i told the guy straight up that i was just on vacation there and not a resident so therefore not even a potential sale...
It's sort of painting a broad brush, but majority is true that customer service in Asia is better than here in U.S. Once in awhile I'll run into some restaurant here where I get what I would consider superb service.

We recently took a family trip to Taiwan and of the more than twenty food eatery places we went to, only one I would have considered sub-par in service, and these places included very unassuming places and even food stands. Everywhere, how are you, what would you like, thank you, please come back, etc. I've gone to fancy restaurants here where I step in and I feel like they must think I'm a homeless bum or something. Barely a smile and just take order, bring food, bring check, done.

Japan is in a league of it's own in customer service. There's just some crazy people dynamic going there that can't be explained.
Old 06-10-10, 01:59 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile I learned something!!!

Originally Posted by sojah
right ,,,, well i can honestly say that the only lexus dealership i have ever been to where this held true was in Osaka Japan and i told the guy straight up that i was just on vacation there and not a resident so therefore not even a potential sale... i pretty much got a tour of their facilities and had to refuse test drives of their new LS600hL more times than i care to remember, as well as being given hard cover books of both the 460 and 600hL as souvenirs, which are beautiful by the way. i think its just our culture to treat each other the way we do.
You and Jabberwock make great points about our countries culture and the economy has made it worse. People just have chips on there shoulders the size of Jupiter and in some case as BIG as the SUN! HAHAHA! When I get treated well, I get surprised and shocked. Its so rare that these days if Im at a eatery or a dealership or drivethru like Chick-Fil-A I find good or great customer service!!!

I went overseas and noticed country to country subtle and obvious differences despite language barriers how better I ws treated in some countries aside from England(very class oriented country and the only thing like USA is they speak English, thats it)!

Is it the individual hired or the company who is the problem. I want to provide a comfortable environment when dealing with me in business as I own my own. That said, Im my own boss and those who work a JOB see it s just that. The go getters see it as a chance to climb the company ladder and most who think this way do climb the ranks! Its part Lexus and part employees fault and sometimes we have a bad day as customers and that hurts customer service.

The best customer service reps in any biz never lose there cool and are always polite and helpful and these are rare finds though I have found them a few times. Heck, thats out of 1,000 events dealing with customer service reps though!!! That said, today after reading the comments I learned alot from fellow members.

I took from what I learned to just play it as it comes to you. If there rude, move on, your making them money. Your the customer and if they cant see that, move on. 2nd, I must be as polite as I want them to be to me. Never curse scream nor yell no matter how bad the circumstances! If I remain polite and clam and they do the opposite, walk away with a polite goodbye and thank you and spend elsewhere!

L.G.N.M
Old 06-10-10, 02:37 PM
lex2001
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll brag about the Lexus dealer in Naperville Illinois. When I was looking for a 430 I went to the dealership to test drive a couple. I walked in and told the salesman the two I wanted to drive. He said please wait here a moment. A porter pulls the cars to the front of the store. The salesman returns and hands me two sets of keys and says "let me know what you think when you get back". I said "don't you want my drivers license or something?" He says "no"and had no idea who I was. I return and we small talked about the cars and I received "0" pressure to buy.

A couple weeks later I found a 430 at a Toyota dealer about 30 minutes away. I called my local Lexus dealer (see above) and talked to someone in service telling them that I wanted to buy a car from another dealer and wondered if they would run the VIN and tell me about the service history. "No problem" she says. She even printed it out and let me pick it up!

I have had the car serviced there and purchased parts to repair my son's ES. I have been treated like the owners kid every time! A friend of mine bought a pickup from the nearby Toyota dealer (same owner as Lexus) and he is treated the same way.
Old 06-10-10, 03:40 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

LEX2001 - that's the same way we have been treated by Sewell Lexus in Dallas. We bop in there on several Saturdays and they just toss the keys to whatever we want to try out for however long we wanted. Absolutely never any pressure. When asked about a specific the salesperson would tell us exactly what had been done to it to make it CPO.
Old 06-10-10, 04:08 PM
slclexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks to all who commented

I guess, from what y'all are reporting, we definitely have a bad dealer here in SLC, UT. Again, any Google of their "history" with the public is poor to awful. What a collection of stooges.

Good news is this: The GF and I are checking out and most likely snagging a 2006 LS430. Less than 20K on the odo, it's a CL with the 18" chrome wheels and semi-aniline leather and a few other bumps. Wish it'd been a UL but it appears (from pics) this unit is in very, very good condition. And the guy selling it couldn't be nicer.

Woo hoo! We're about to officially become members of the 430 family.

Thanks again y'all for the advice, tips, and brotherhood shown over the last six months. We won't forget it.

Now if I could just whack our local dealer upside the head and get his damn dealership flying right all would be good in the world.

Thanks again, you guys ... you're the greatest.

Quick Reply: Are All Lexus Dealers This Bad?