LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

new replacement tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-10, 10:26 PM
Carmelstev
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
These are the new Extreme Contact DW tires, right? I'm very interested in these, the car I just bought came with a new set of Goodyear Eagle RSA tires and grip OK but they're relatively unforgiving and very noisy. I'm looking for a softer, quieter ride and I have the new Extreme Contact DW right at the top of the list as they are getting great reviews. Can you expand on your comments on ride quality and road noise?

thanks!
I had summer tires on before-they were Dunlops that were on it when I bought it. They handled well, but had a moderate drone/hum at speed. The Continentals are dead quiet. And yes, they are the newer DWS's. Ride quality is fine, meaning they are good at isolating bumps and rough road feel. They are the best all-around tires I've ever had on a car. And they are substantially less than the Michellin's. I've actually never been very impressed with Michellin tires. Almost every vehicle I've bought in the last several years have had them from the factory and they haven't been stellar.
Old 06-24-10, 07:25 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 732 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmelstev
I had summer tires on before-they were Dunlops that were on it when I bought it. They handled well, but had a moderate drone/hum at speed. The Continentals are dead quiet. And yes, they are the newer DWS's. Ride quality is fine, meaning they are good at isolating bumps and rough road feel. They are the best all-around tires I've ever had on a car. And they are substantially less than the Michellin's. I've actually never been very impressed with Michellin tires. Almost every vehicle I've bought in the last several years have had them from the factory and they haven't been stellar.
Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated.
Old 06-25-10, 05:15 PM
dlap
Rookie

Thanks guys. Thanks for the link sir. Goin there now.
Old 06-26-10, 04:28 AM
joeydingo
Rookie

I have had quite a bit of experience with the high performance tires, but those don't seem like what most of us want on an LS430. When I had a modded GS with coilovers, etc, it made sense to be buying softer ultra performance tires. Also had to replace those every 10-15,000 miles.
With an LS, it makes more sense to me that most of us want quiet, good handling and long tread life. I vote Michelin MXV, Primacy or HydroEdge all the way. Not sure which one is best on the LS, but have heard great things about all three. Even if you don't purchase your tires from Tirerack.com, they have a wealth of information there on all brands of tires with both test results and user surveys.
As to the cost of Michelin tires, I've found them a perfect example of "you get what you pay for". You are driving a Lexus, right???
Old 06-26-10, 09:13 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Good handling? My Assurance Comfortred handled just as good as the primacy's on this barge, poorly, and the mileage was better with the Goodyear. My Camry is a hotrod compared to this thing.

The Ls's quiet hovercraft feel on the freeway, powertrain, brakes and solid feel is why I have kept it for 50 k strong going on 105.

I have 25k on the primacy's not a problem with balancing and smooth over a 100 MPH. I just always stay with Michelin out of habit and they do not cost that much more usually if you wait for the sales to rotate around.

Another year or two I will sell it.
Old 06-27-10, 07:42 AM
tkbalt
Driver

Just ordered a set of 17" Primacy H rated tires for the 03. Tire Rack - will end up at about 200 per tire by the time they are mounted / balanced / installed.

One of my Dunlops is pretty noisey and I only have about 5K left on the set, so changing them all out.