LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Replacing windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-10, 03:50 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Replacing windshield

I had safelite come out on Monday to repair a small stone chip on the windshield of my 2001 LS430. Bottom line is after getting started the tech caused some severe cracks accross the windshield. I asked him originally if I should get the car out of the sun, and he insisted not a problem. My insurance is covering me for an OEM windshield which is backordered. Is there anything I should know about the installation? Are there any rubber seals used these days? If seals are used, do they reuse the original ones as well as clips or does the windshield come with new clips and seals? I've also heard alot about the rain sensor. Must a new gel pad be installed when removing the sensor from the old to the new windshield? Mine works well now with no problems. Also, my windshield was replaced once before in 2004 with OEM. The price of this part is $1800! I want it done right. Thanks all.
Old 06-23-10, 04:20 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I want it done right. Thanks all.
I can't answer your questions, but I recently replaced my windshield on my 04 CL. I wanted to be sure it was an OEM Lexus, and spoke to the girl in the office who was doing the ordering. I reminded her that this windshield was for a Custom Luxury model with laminated glass, a rain sensor, and had built-in water repellent. She looked it up and said there was only ONE part number for a 2004 LS430 windshield. I said okay, then I guess that's it.

Bottom line is that I no longer have a water repellent windshield. I'm not sure the new one is laminated glass (how can I tell?). The rain sensor, however seems okay.

That's all I can pass along to you.

Walt
Old 06-23-10, 04:38 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 255 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by ayonnebay
I'm not sure the new one is laminated glass (how can I tell?).
Laminated glass windshields have been mandatory on cars sold in the U.S. for the last 50 years or so.
Old 06-23-10, 05:16 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kansas
Laminated glass windshields have been mandatory on cars sold in the U.S. for the last 50 years or so.
Haha ....... Well there ya go then - the only complaint I have is that I don't have a rain-repellent windshield.

Thanks for straightening me out Kansas.
Old 06-23-10, 05:28 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Check the thickness between the two oem may be alittle thicker.
Old 06-23-10, 06:29 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought the side windows were rain repellant.. not the windshield.
Old 06-23-10, 06:43 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Does anyone know if they use rubber seals around the windshield or just use a bead of urethane?
Old 06-23-10, 07:38 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I thought the side windows were rain repellant.. not the windshield.
On the 2004, the windshield and both front side windows are rain-repellent.

Walt
Old 06-23-10, 07:43 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Does anyone know if they use rubber seals around the windshield or just use a bead of urethane?
On mine, the work order states these parts :

Windshield (Rain-Sensor, Solar Controlled)
Adhesive- (2.0, Urethane, Dam, Primer)
Moulding-(Upper, Reveal)

The company that did mine was Diamond Glass,
Old 06-23-10, 08:32 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ayonnebay
On mine, the work order states these parts :

Windshield (Rain-Sensor, Solar Controlled)
Adhesive- (2.0, Urethane, Dam, Primer)
Moulding-(Upper, Reveal)

The company that did mine was Diamond Glass,
Thanks, It looks like there is no rubber seal. I guess the glass just sits on a urethane bead.
Old 06-24-10, 07:34 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

IIRC, according to the factory manual, there are rivets on either side of the windshield (same as on my LX). While I haven't had my LS windshield replaced yet, I've had the LX done 3x, and you need mouldings, rivets, rain sensor pad. I had the dealer do mine (they contract out to a glass company familiar with Lexus windshields, which comes to the dealer). Beware that many 3rd party installers don't know about the rivets (at least on the LX) and mess up the installation...you end up hearing wind whistling at best, and at worst, they bend the body around the windshield and chip the paint (has happened to a number of people on the LX forum trying to save a few $$). Bottom line is get good insurance. The LS430 windshield costs more than that on my LX (LX runs like $1500, LS is around $1600). Insurance covered all of mine 100% and with OEM glass done at the dealership...saved me nearly $4K over 3 years!
Old 06-24-10, 04:43 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

I was considering to go to Lexus to have my OEM windshield installed and proceeded to speak with a local Lexus dealership. He told me that they also use an outside installer. He mentioned that problems may arise when the replacement is not OEM because it does not have the bracket that holds the Rain Sensor. It is also common practice take the gel pad for the rain sensor from the old windshield and put it on the new one. Wouldn't it be wise just to put a new gel pad on or is it pricey? Since I already have an agreement with Safelite and my insurance company has agreed to pay them for an OEM replacement ($1800) I will leave well enough alone. I may just get a new gel pad in case the installer from Safelite does not come with one and I will make sure to ask for an experienced installer who knows Lexus.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 06-24-10 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-24-10, 08:27 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't think you can successfully reuse the rain sensor pad, as it has an adhesive. It's only around $30 retail at the dealer, which is like 2% of the price of the windshield replacement. No dealer I know of does the windshield replacement themselves, but they sub out to a shop that is familiar with lexus vehicles. The risk is if you have a shop do it directly (to save on labor) and that shop isn't familiar with your windshield. They won't tell you that until they've screwed up the job. Through the dealer, you get the dealer warranty. BTW, the OEM glass is thicker than aftermarket, so sound insulation is better.
Old 06-24-10, 09:35 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Thanks for the Info. It makes sense and I too would have preferred to go to Lexus. If Safelite screws up the job, they too should come back to make good. One local Lexus dealership mentioned they have 2 installers they use, one of which is Safelite. If I take it to Lexus, I would have to pay Lexus directly and get reimbursed from my insurance company for approximately $1800. I would prefer just having it done without any out of pocket money (other than possibly the gel pad). Right now the OEM windshield is backordered and should be in by July 1st. I find that most of the time worrying is a waste of time. I've spoken to the store manager at Safelite and by now he is more than aware of my concerns. I can be a real pain.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 06-24-10 at 09:41 PM.