LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What is going on.... (NAV update not working)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-10, 02:01 PM
Gil Smash
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is going on.... (NAV update not working)

So i recently tried to switch out my nav disk with a new one, I have an 01 LS which is 2nd gen if im not mistaken, and the new disk i put in did not work, it said it was updating then something about not being able to find the program, then after that even when I put the original disk in the same thing came up. Is there something that i could be missing, some step besides just putting it in, I disconected the battery too because I heard that can help.

Also, on a side not i found this wire disconnected, when i connected it again it said check VSC on the dash until the next time i started it, I just disconected it again today and the same check VSC message came up then went away. If anyone can help me with this I would be extremely greatful.
Old 06-24-10, 02:02 PM
Gil Smash
Driver

Picture didnt post...

Old 06-24-10, 02:52 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought the 01-03 LS is a Gen 3. Was going to do the update on my LS but not sure if its going to do any good for me out here in Hawaii. I dont think they have maps for us.
Old 06-24-10, 11:27 PM
Gil Smash
Driver

Really? I could have sworn it was a Gen 2.... well either way, I dont know why the stock one would stop working
Old 06-25-10, 07:56 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

The 2001 LS430 is generation 2 Nav.
Old 06-25-10, 08:46 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That second disconnected wire is Lexus link. Since Lexus doesn't use analog link system any more, dealers disconnected the system and replaced the roof panel with link buttons for a regular one. I have the same thing.

P.S. In the stickies there is a thread on how to change DVD nav.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...w-version.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...w-version.html

Last edited by yuri.ber; 06-25-10 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-25-10, 08:59 AM
Gil Smash
Driver

Oh ok, I figured it was probably supposed to be unplugged.

In regards to the Navi though I did those exact steps and it still doesnt work....
Old 06-25-10, 09:38 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^
Intriguing. Hm, did you try to clean the DVD reader lens, the dvd itself?
Old 06-25-10, 01:09 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

On the 2nd gen systems (2001), i remember the updates were not backward compatible. So if you update your system you cannot use your old disc. It seems as if it went ahead with the update, but ran into some technical issue when it came time to power up. However, since it wasn't backwards compatible, it didn't allow you to revert to the old disc.

You should be able to run things again with a functioning disc of the same version as your new one.
Old 06-26-10, 03:27 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

I have a 2001 LS430 with the Generation 2 and the very first version DVD. I am planning on going to Lexus to disable by steering tilt away feature and will have the dealer install the latest DVD so that there are no issues. I'm purchasing it at Lexus for $200. They are charging me around $50 for 5 minutes work for the tilt disable and I will ask him to throw in the DVD. At least I'll try.
Old 06-26-10, 09:47 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 666ogre666
So i recently tried to switch out my nav disk with a new one, I have an 01 LS which is 2nd gen if im not mistaken, and the new disk i put in did not work, it said it was updating then something about not being able to find the program, then after that even when I put the original disk in the same thing came up. Is there something that i could be missing, some step besides just putting it in, I disconected the battery too because I heard that can help.

Also, on a side not i found this wire disconnected, when i connected it again it said check VSC on the dash until the next time i started it, I just disconected it again today and the same check VSC message came up then went away. If anyone can help me with this I would be extremely greatful.
Did you get this DVD from lexus or from ebay??
Old 06-27-10, 02:52 PM
Gil Smash
Driver

I got mine from a friend, not sure where he got it. Its a 7.1 disk, I guess to make it work id need either a working 7.1 disk or higher right?
Old 06-27-10, 04:40 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 666ogre666
I got mine from a friend, not sure where he got it. Its a 7.1 disk, I guess to make it work id need either a working 7.1 disk or higher right?
exactly, that should fix the issue.
Old 06-27-10, 08:01 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

I have a 01 Lexus LS430 with the original disc. When I update to the latest disc will that verbal nonsense I hear everytime I start the car about the Lexus Link be gone or do I manual have to disconnect it?
Old 06-28-10, 12:40 AM
BC Rider
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the lexus link you have to manually disconnect it. The Nav upgrade will have no bearing on it. The lexus link just uses the GPS position to transmit your location if you crash or push the emergency number.

I attempted to upgrade my 2001 Nav with a disk someone gave me. Did not work very well. It kind of read it, but not if I was moving quick and went away occasinally.

I switched back to the old one and all is good (though about 8 years old).

Anyway, it might be worth running the old one for a while to see it it works.

A guy I know told me that the old DVD readers are pretty sensitive to the "darkness" of the disk, presumably because the reading mechanism (it is light based I believe) may not be as strong/robust as on the newer ones. You might want to clean the disk or the DVD reader as someone else mentioned and try again.

Just my experience for what it is worth.

Quick Reply: What is going on.... (NAV update not working)