Parking Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-10, 10:27 PM
CelsiorAUS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parking Sensors

Guys,

When i picked up my car the dealer promised to paint a ding in the back.

I just noticed the rear parking sensor is now jammed on and i also noticed the ring around the sensor has dissapeared.

Does this mean the sensor has been disactivated? There are 2 parts the inner circle and the outer ring. What function does each have?
Old 07-03-10, 11:03 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well someone backed into my LS430 yesterday and it damaged the front drivers side. Seems to still operate well, but does anyone know how much one of the sensor surrounds cost?
Old 07-04-10, 07:03 AM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry guys, there is not a separate outer ring; the ring is part of the sensor.
That said, I have learned through experience:

Cracked or missing outer rings do not necessarily mean sensor failure: I have a couple of chipped ones that are working fine;

CelsiorAUS: your disappearing outer ring may mean the shop tried to pry the sensor out. Those rings are brittle, and prying will easily break them. And they can't be pried out; must remove from the back side. But: if your system is still functioning (no alarms codes on the display telling you otherwise, then the shop got lucky and didn't kill your sensor.

Both you guys could consider making outer rings to match and figuring a way to attach them to get your appearance back to normal.

Cost: I don't know, but it's a lot. I have scored 2 good ones from eBay over the years, neither was my exact color, but close enough I don't notice on my Flint Mica car.

Some say you can paint these to match; others say you will fail; apparently the center disc is part of the ultrasonic vibrating assembly, and paint must be just right for it to function.
Old 07-04-10, 08:20 AM
honeygee2
Pole Position

The part is about 250 and it takes 1.3 hours labor to replace. Total cost at a dealer is about 400 bucks.
Old 07-04-10, 11:16 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by honeygee2
The part is about 250 and it takes 1.3 hours labor to replace. Total cost at a dealer is about 400 bucks.
Yeah... this is just my highway car... no need to get that repaired if it's working fine.

I have a clear bra on my car which saved me from a huge scrape, but it did penetrate. Almost looks like a hitch hit the car.
Old 07-04-10, 02:47 PM
CelsiorAUS
Driver

So if one of my sensors is always on even when not close to a wall does that mean its broken, or it may just be the paint is too thick?
Old 07-06-10, 11:47 PM
SteveM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CelsiorAUS
So if one of my sensors is always on even when not close to a wall does that mean its broken, or it may just be the paint is too thick?

It could be that the layer of paint is too thick. I had the same constant beeping once this past winter and got out to find a piece of ice had frozen to the sensor.

If it's constantly beeping then it could be working correctly just constantly detecting something like the paint or in my case the ice.

I think a malfunction would give you a dash message
Old 07-07-10, 03:46 AM
nc356
Driver

My experience with these things began with a sensor that was always on. No error message, just front center zone beeping constantly when in drive.
The bad sensor turned out to be the perfect looking one; perfect factory paint. Also, it checked out a correct resistance (10 ohms, I believe). The other one in front center zone, the one with cracked outer ring with chunk missing, was/is working fine.
Old 07-07-10, 01:42 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nc356
My experience with these things began with a sensor that was always on. No error message, just front center zone beeping constantly when in drive.

That's exactly what I have! - Front center zone always on. Is there a way to just pull the plug on the bad sensor behind the bumper?

Walt
Old 07-07-10, 03:38 PM
nc356
Driver

Wish it were so easy.
My Toyo dealer ran a diagnostic; it couldn't identify the problem.
With the help of the wiring diagram, I tested resistance of all sensors by probing the wiring harness at the plug leading to the front bumper; I think the plug was behind a black shield just inboard of the DS headlight, above the bumper and behind the grill.
But, all sensors had the correct resistance. So at that point the bumper had to come off.
I learned: there must be a good sensor at every position, or the whole house of cards collapses.
Ultimately, I bided my time, scoring 2 dark colored sensors of eBay; then I took the bumper back off. Substituting sensors finally solved the issue.
Far more work than it ought to be.
1 more thing: I think you can disable the front sensors altogether via programming by a dealer. That way, you can use just your rear sensors for the time being. I bet some people decide they can do without the fronts anyway.
Old 07-07-10, 04:12 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

1 more thing: I think you can disable the front sensors altogether via programming by a dealer. That way, you can use just your rear sensors for the time being. I bet some people decide they can do without the fronts anyway.

Thanks. Good idea - I may just do that.
Old 08-05-10, 09:34 PM
motionman
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you can disable the front sensors altogether via programming by a dealer. That way, you can use just your rear sensors for the time being. I bet some people decide they can do without the fronts anyway.
Does anyone know how to do this without dealing with the dealer?

MotionMan
Old 08-07-10, 07:14 AM
mdawg630
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yah Im worried about my sensors a lil to cause im repainting my bumpers and it sounds like it can be a issue so everyone wish me luck . I havelike two sensors that are chipped and i just want that super clean look .