LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

HOW TO: LS430 Mark Levinson EVERYTHING w/Pics & part#s

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-10, 06:45 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Yep if someone has specs on the crossover it makes for absoluetly identical speaker frequency matching but with most modern speakers they have plenty of overlapping freq range so it really would not be a problem matching replacement speakers to 90% of crossovers. When in doubt get the replacement speaker with a slightly wider freq range and it will be fine. In most case as long as you don't go completely backwards - ie. wire the tweeter to the low band (crossover wiring to sub) and the sub speaker to the high band (tweeter), it should be fine. For instance if the crossover is a 2 way and its cutting 3500-4000hz and above to high then make sure the tweeter freq range specs is something like 3000hz- 16khz. If you mistakenly used a tweeter with specs of 4000hz-16khz you would have a "hole" in response between 3500hz and 4khz.
Old 07-18-10, 07:20 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Yep if someone has specs on the crossover it makes for absoluetly identical speaker frequency matching but with most modern speakers they have plenty of overlapping freq range so it really would not be a problem matching replacement speakers to 90% of crossovers. When in doubt get the replacement speaker with a slightly wider freq range and it will be fine. In most case as long as you don't go completely backwards - ie. wire the tweeter to the low band (crossover wiring to sub) and the sub speaker to the high band (tweeter), it should be fine. For instance if the crossover is a 2 way and its cutting 3500-4000hz and above to high then make sure the tweeter freq range specs is something like 3000hz- 16khz. If you mistakenly used a tweeter with specs of 4000hz-16khz you would have a "hole" in response between 3500hz and 4khz.
Great way to follow up

Also, everyone should read the posts i have made in this thread regarding speakers.
I have devided them [each post] by each speaker type.
The info i have posted should clear up most of the questions people generally have.

I posted EVERYHTING that i did for a reason =)

P.S. I added your quote to the tweeter post, i like how you explained it.

Last edited by RomanTPA; 07-18-10 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-21-10, 02:11 PM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Very informative thread!

On a similar note:
I have a 2001 LS430 and I would like to upgrade my sound system.
I have called a rep at VAIS Tech, and he stated that I can't use BOTH my iPod and XM in my present system, because of the (outdated) wiring. Without getting some system that doesn't look like a Levinson (i.e., not factory), is it possible to put a later model system into the dash and utilize the remainder of the system (amp, speakers, etc.); maybe even get navigation system, as well??? Would the cost be unreasonable?
Old 07-22-10, 07:00 PM
430Driver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First... Awesome thread!

Will the same replacement sub work in the 04 430? I'm tired of using a hot glue gun to "fix" my sub every time it starts rattling.. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-23-10, 05:09 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 430Driver
First... Awesome thread!

Will the same replacement sub work in the 04 430? I'm tired of using a hot glue gun to "fix" my sub every time it starts rattling.. Thanks in advance!
or you could just properly repair it like i did.. its been going strong for a month now, with me blasting music every day.

everything is same between 00-06 ls430.

the only thing thats different from what i notced was..

headlights
tailights
transmission
wheels
bumpers
hood
fenders
keys/ignition

Last edited by RomanTPA; 07-23-10 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-23-10, 05:36 AM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

Exclamation

Any takers on this one????

I have called a rep at VAIS Tech, and he stated that I can't use BOTH my iPod and XM in my present system, because of the (outdated) wiring. Without getting some system that doesn't look like a Levinson (i.e., not factory), is it possible to put a later model system into the dash and utilize the remainder of the system (amp, speakers, etc.); maybe even get navigation system, as well??? Would the cost be unreasonable?
Old 07-23-10, 06:08 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LSDoc
Any takers on this one????

yes you can! which is awesome! what you can do is use vias to add a second headunit, thus keeping your ML and touch screen everything. what you would do is use a single den head unit and install it where the 6disc schanger is. that will give you XM, Ipod, MP3, and digital radio. your ML will recognise the second head unit as a cd changer, this will let you keep all of your steering wheel and touch controls.

Old 07-23-10, 07:08 AM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

Smile

WOW!!!

Now that is out of-the-box-thinking! Dare I say brilliant! It makes a lot of sense. I don't use the CD changer anyway, so I lose nothing and gain a bunch! Now, i just need to figure a few things out:
-looking at the picture above, I see a touch-screen, which is something I don't have; hopefully, that won't matter. I don't have the UL model.
- I can just get in touch with VAIS and relay this to them. Are there any specifics they would need???
Old 07-23-10, 07:52 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LSDoc
touch-screen, which is something I don't have
oh dude, this is even esier then....

you dont even need VIAS

all you need to do is get a double din touch screen nav/dvd player and plug and play!!

p.s. google "ls430 double din" to get the installation kit

Last edited by RomanTPA; 07-23-10 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-23-10, 08:11 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

also, in theory (at least in my head)

VIAS + ML nav + after market stereo with dvd playback and video output = you watching DVDs on your NAV and sound playing through your factory ML speakers

i would need to do a little more research on this. I know its possible using vias + nav tool, but im not 100% with VIAS alone.

i wish i would have more money to buy the stuff to provide you guys with detailed HOW TOs
so for now you just need to use google and the CL search feature to find out stuff on your LS

Last edited by RomanTPA; 07-23-10 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-23-10, 11:57 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

HOW TO updated with more diagams and part #s
Old 07-27-10, 10:42 AM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

Now, there's another intriguing idea!
Where do I get a double din touch screen nav/dvd player?
At the dealer?
Aftermarket shop?
Would it be compatible with my present amps, speakers, etc.???
Old 07-28-10, 09:19 AM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

RomanTPA:

I did a google search and ran across a post by 'Motohide', that describes what you posted to get the Nav unit incorporated. The main concern I have is the loss of steering wheel control for the functions of the ML. If there were a way I could install the Nav system and have full functions at the steering wheel, I'd be all over it. But, I don't want the Nav all that bad, if that's the price I have to pay.
At this point, it looks like your original idea (use vias to add a second headunit) is the best option for me.
Old 07-28-10, 10:51 AM
TTBomB
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Just wanted to add this:

I called Vais today and asked them if it was possible to purchase a unit through them that would allow the following:

Keep Factory Screen/Nav as is.
Keep ML system/head unit as is.
Add a secondary head unit which includes Nav, Sirius, DVD, MP3, etc.

They told me that I would NOT be able to do this.

The other option I believe may work would be the Beatsonic kits. Anyone here try them?
Old 07-28-10, 10:52 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

yeah, to keep steering wheel controls you will need to keep your factory radio and add the VIAS thingy, but im not sure exactly how the non ML radio will work with VIAS/iPod. My friend with a IS300 found some box for $80 that lets you keep FULL controls and plug and play your ipod and controll it from your radio/steering wheel..

soooooooo before you start asking me...
i forgot what its called, and i will ask him what it is. lol

Quick Reply: HOW TO: LS430 Mark Levinson EVERYTHING w/Pics & part#s