LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

HOW TO: LS430 Mark Levinson EVERYTHING w/Pics & part#s

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-11, 10:03 PM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ancdmd
I'm also interested in a good replacement front door speaker, mine are rattling like the sub. I already did the caulk bandaid a while ago, don't wanna do that anymore. I will do a re-foam kit also, does anyone have a link for one I can order?
Speaker Exchange
1250 East Hillsborough Avenue
Tampa, FL 33604-7208
(813) 237-4800
http://www.reconingspeakers.com/

Call them up. Anytime I have a question about speaker repair, they got an answer (and stuff to fix it).
Old 04-26-11, 10:03 AM
DutchLS430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another great thread

thx from Dutch LS430 2006
Old 04-28-11, 12:43 PM
mniehaus
Driver School Candidate

Default Wofer foam and new amp

I had my 04 LS430 for~4 years. Never thought the ML sounded as good as the Nak. in my 96 LS 400. Now I know why, the woofer foam has probably been bad the whole time. Checked it several times and it looked good and did not buzz or ratle.

Order a refoam kit anyway, and sure enough the foam had seperated near the outer metal basket. I replaed with a "w shaped" foam surround (like the original) -whent fairly easy just make sure you keep it centered as the other guys have said. The system now sound very good!

Also, had to replace the amp 3-4 months ago because it quit, got it for $579 from a "Good Lexus" dealer (not the $1700). Lexus needs to improve the specs on these amp and give them some cool air so they last as long as the rest of the car should. They need to jack up the contract manufacture of these units. I am seriously questioning buying another Lexus, I will not drive without tunes and don't think you should have to spend several $1000 on a 4 year old car. Heck I never had to spend that much $'s on any car I have owned and that was why I had 2 Lexus and 4 Toyota's ---till now!
Old 05-08-11, 12:37 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mniehaus
I had my 04 LS430 for~4 years. Never thought the ML sounded as good as the Nak. in my 96 LS 400. Now I know why, the woofer foam has probably been bad the whole time. Checked it several times and it looked good and did not buzz or ratle.

Order a refoam kit anyway, and sure enough the foam had seperated near the outer metal basket. I replaed with a "w shaped" foam surround (like the original) -whent fairly easy just make sure you keep it centered as the other guys have said. The system now sound very good!

Also, had to replace the amp 3-4 months ago because it quit, got it for $579 from a "Good Lexus" dealer (not the $1700). Lexus needs to improve the specs on these amp and give them some cool air so they last as long as the rest of the car should. They need to jack up the contract manufacture of these units. I am seriously questioning buying another Lexus, I will not drive without tunes and don't think you should have to spend several $1000 on a 4 year old car. Heck I never had to spend that much $'s on any car I have owned and that was why I had 2 Lexus and 4 Toyota's ---till now!
IMO, LS430 is one of the most reliable full size luxury cars out there. If you search around many respectable auto sites and magazines have confirmed that.

Also, you need to consider all of the things, gizmos, and pieces of electronics that this thing comes with.

I have friends with 'S' class and '7' series and they are constantly having issues with their cars. LSs on the other hand... well just ask around.
Old 06-27-11, 07:35 AM
gaulgw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RomanTPA
Door Speakers:
No pictures for now.

HERE IS LINK TO LS430 WIRING (PDF)

(*following is not tested...)
1. Pry off the plastic sail panel at the top front edge of the door panel with a panel tool and remove it.
2. Remove the retaining clip on the upper front corner of the door panel by pressing in the center pin with a small, flat-bladed screwdriver then prying it out.
3. Pry out the door release trim, located above the power switches, with a panel tool. Take out the Phillips head screw located behind it with a screwdriver.
4. Pry off the door pull trim panel with a panel tool and remove the two Phillips head screws behind it with a screwdriver.
5. Pry around the bottom and side edges of the door panel with a panel tool to loosen the retaining clips that hold it in place. When the panel is loose, lift it off of the door and unplug the wiring connectors plugged into the backside.
6. Remove the four Phillips head screws on the perimeter of the door speaker with a screwdriver. Pull the speaker out and unplug the wiring connectors.

Is it possible to remove the speaker grills on the doors without removing the entire door panel? I can get the sub grill off, but I could not get the door grills off and was afraid if I pulled any harder I might break or bend them.
Old 06-27-11, 04:15 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No,it's part of the door trim. The above is pretty easy to do,takes all of a minute to take the whole trim off.

Justin...
Old 06-29-11, 10:19 AM
gaulgw
Driver School Candidate

Thanks.

I have read the FAQ and searched, but I can not find out if there is any way to disable the rear seat audio controls so passengers can not change stations, volume, etc? Am I missing something obvious or is it like the Nav override?
Old 06-29-11, 04:18 PM
fergo308
Pole Position

^^ I was a little surprised that a switch for that wasn't included. I guess Japanese children are more obedient...

Justin...
Old 06-29-11, 04:22 PM
04_LS_430R
Pole Position

BTW...
If anyone is interested...
I have an extra ML subwoofer (complete) repair kit.
It did a great job on my sub, been a while now.
$20 shipped to you.

The kit that I got came as a pair, for $40.
So now i have an extra 1 that I dont need
It matches the "M" shaped foam of the ML
Comes with detailed instructions and glue.

Where can I find one of these kits for my sub? I'm assuming you've already sold this one since it's been posted well over a year ago.
Old 06-29-11, 06:51 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by gaulgw
Thanks.

I have read the FAQ and searched, but I can not find out if there is any way to disable the rear seat audio controls so passengers can not change stations, volume, etc? Am I missing something obvious or is it like the Nav override?
See page 285 of the Owner's Manual. "MODE" button": " You can lock the button operation. To activate the lock, push and hold the "MODE" button until you hear a beep. "LOCK" appears on the display. All the buttons in the rear controller are inoperative. To cancel it, push and hold the "MODE" button until you hear a beep again. You can use all the buttons."
Old 06-30-11, 04:54 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone know how to tap into the steering wheel controls to use a Pac-Jack or other product to control after market radio?
Old 07-01-11, 06:48 PM
jdp1955
Driver School Candidate

My speaker cover on the driver's door needs to be replaced on my LS 430 2005. How do I do that or do I have to replace the entire door panel?

Thanks, jim
Old 07-09-11, 06:11 PM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 04_LS_430R
Where can I find one of these kits for my sub? I'm assuming you've already sold this one since it's been posted well over a year ago.
I actually still have it. I will PM you with my info.
Old 08-31-11, 12:15 PM
2004TOYO
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually still have it. I will PM you with my info.
Roman, On the initial write-up for removing the rear deck to access the sub, you did that on a 2001 430. From the pictures it looks a bit different than a 2004. Do you (or anyone else) know what the difference is in removing the deck so I can swap out the subwoofer? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-31-11, 02:32 PM
2004TOYO
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nevermind I figured it out... now tommorow I go to Car Tunes to get a NEW sub!!

Quick Reply: HOW TO: LS430 Mark Levinson EVERYTHING w/Pics & part#s