LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

GS Vs. LS

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-10, 10:22 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS Vs. LS

I searched and didn't find anything so I thought I would just ask...

I currently have a 2002 GS430 and I love the car but I think it's getting time for me to pick up something a little different. I have always loved the LS and so I am thinking about picking up a 2004-2006 LS430, Silver / Black. I have researched lots of other vehicles but they all seem like temporary treatment for the affliction I suffer from and have been teased about for years; Vehicular Acquisition Disorder or V.A.D. for short. In my 24 years of driving, I have owned 26 cars. The car I have had for the longest period of time has been my GS430 / Silver / Black, fully loaded, I have owned it for 4 years as of this past weekend. I have found the only cure is buying something I can see myself driving for a long time and that would be the LS. The other car I have thought about was the 07/08 GS350 but after driving it, I have become less excited about it and how I sit in it; arm position, hands on the wheel. My current GS feels like my living room couch.

I know the LS is luxury and I am completely comfortable with moving in this direction. My mechanic tells me I drive like an old man and since he said that, I realize I just cruise and enjoy the smoothness of the ride. I dont think I will mod it at all at least for a long time. My GS was lightly modded, coils, 20" rims, lip, some cosmetic stuff, all very minor. I put my GS back to stock awhile ago and found I like the ride better, even with the float returned. I don't want to think about camber issues, rubbing, whatever. I just want to wash and go and float down the road in luxurious comfort.

So, my question is, for those who have gone from a GS to the LS, any words of advice, comments on ride, maintenance differences, anything surprise you? Any specific packages I should think about?

BTW... I am also planning on picking up a 1st generation 4runner for running up to Mammoth and Bear to snowboard. Something I won't care about beating on a little bit, but the LS will be my luxury boat. I currently only drive a total of 6-7K a year.
Old 07-12-10, 05:33 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

If it fits well and you really like the car get a 2006-2007 GS. The LS is likely too much of a boat if you like the GS.
Old 07-12-10, 06:09 AM
elite7
Driver

Originally Posted by mole
I searched and didn't find anything so I thought I would just ask...

I currently have a 2002 GS430 and I love the car but I think it's getting time for me to pick up something a little different. I have always loved the LS and so I am thinking about picking up a 2004-2006 LS430, Silver / Black. I have researched lots of other vehicles but they all seem like temporary treatment for the affliction I suffer from and have been teased about for years; Vehicular Acquisition Disorder or V.A.D. for short. In my 24 years of driving, I have owned 26 cars. The car I have had for the longest period of time has been my GS430 / Silver / Black, fully loaded, I have owned it for 4 years as of this past weekend. I have found the only cure is buying something I can see myself driving for a long time and that would be the LS. The other car I have thought about was the 07/08 GS350 but after driving it, I have become less excited about it and how I sit in it; arm position, hands on the wheel. My current GS feels like my living room couch.

I know the LS is luxury and I am completely comfortable with moving in this direction. My mechanic tells me I drive like an old man and since he said that, I realize I just cruise and enjoy the smoothness of the ride. I dont think I will mod it at all at least for a long time. My GS was lightly modded, coils, 20" rims, lip, some cosmetic stuff, all very minor. I put my GS back to stock awhile ago and found I like the ride better, even with the float returned. I don't want to think about camber issues, rubbing, whatever. I just want to wash and go and float down the road in luxurious comfort.

So, my question is, for those who have gone from a GS to the LS, any words of advice, comments on ride, maintenance differences, anything surprise you? Any specific packages I should think about?

BTW... I am also planning on picking up a 1st generation 4runner for running up to Mammoth and Bear to snowboard. Something I won't care about beating on a little bit, but the LS will be my luxury boat. I currently only drive a total of 6-7K a year.
From what i am reading it looks like you want a smooth, quiet, and luxurious ride.

I never drove or owned a GS but in terms of power the LS460 will destroy a GS350. I dont consider myself a fast driver but i like to have power on hand and for it to come on instantly as is the case in the LS460. I would rather have the power and not use it than not have it at all. You never know if there may come a situation on the highway where you want to get away from a certain car really quickly. This is not a problem with the LS460. You just step on the gas and you are out of there if need be.

If the money is not a big factor/problem get the LS460. I own both a 2008 LS460 and a 2005 LS430. I Highly recommend the LS460 over the LS430. This is coming from an owner who owns a 1996 LS430, 2005 LS430, and a 2008 LS460 . There is as much difference between the LS430 and LS460 as there is between a LS400 to the LS430 which is huge.

However I would recommend at minimum a 2008 LS460 as you dont want to buy the first year of the vehicle coming out. They usually work all the "glitches" out by the next year. Notice i was never buying the first model year a LS400, LS430, or LS460 came out . Also i stayed away from the air suspension as it tends to be more problematic and i will never raise or lower the car which the air suspension can do. I have this in my 2002 LX470 but i still prefer the non-air suspension which you can get on the normal LS460 and LS460L.

The LS460 is a lot better in every aspect .

Gas mileage is a lot better on my LS460 and its much more powerful than the LS460. Power is on tap and comes on instantly whereas in the LS430 it tends to have lag. The suspension is improved by a lot. Much less body roll despite the car being bigger and the ride is smoother.

As for packages, this depends on if you care about the rear passengers. If you do get the Comfort Plus package which will give the rear passengers memory seats, adjustable rear seats, cooled seats, a coolbox, etc.

Mine is loaded as follows:

Mine has:

CP Comfort Package - $1,290
Heated steering wheel; Rear electric blind; Heated driver ventilated seat climate controlled; Front facing heated rear seats; High pressure headlight cleaners

Navigation System/Mark Levinson Package - $5,645

PA Intuitive Parking Assist - $500
Parking assistance front, rear and guidance display

PP One-Touch Open/Close Power Trunk & Power Door Closers - $395
Electric trunk/hatch pull down; Automatic door closing

Preferred Accessory Package (PIO) - $240Includes:
[GN] Cargo Net (PIO) And [LM] Trunk Mat (PIO) And [WL] Wheel Locks (PIO)

This totals to $8000 in options . Here is a list of packages/options and their prices:

http://www.automobilemag.com/am/99/2...s_options.html

I'm telling you the LS460 is a much better car than the LS430. If money is a factor i would suggest saving a little more up and spend the extra to buy the LS460. Its well worth it.

I am going to put my LS430 up for sale this week. Dont get me wrong the LS430 is still a good car. However it doesnt do anything better than my LS460 does and the LS460 looks better both on the Interior and Exterior .

Last edited by elite7; 07-12-10 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-12-10, 06:23 AM
GeorgeT
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a nice, soft and quiet ride get the LS. If you enjoy driving and the way a car handles, get the GS. The straight line power that an LS has over the GS is lost when you get to the twisties.
Old 07-12-10, 06:31 AM
elite7
Driver

Originally Posted by GeorgeT
If you want a nice, soft and quiet ride get the LS. If you enjoy driving and the way a car handles, get the GS. The straight line power that an LS has over the GS is lost when you get to the twisties.
I dont agree. The LS460 has much less body roll than a LS430 even though my LS430 has wider (245 on LS430 vs 235 on LS460) tires. I was taking highway offramps at 50mph easily with no roll. If i really wanted to i can take it at 80-90 mph and the car would still be extremely stable. The handling on the LS460 is excellent. It still puzzles me on how the engineers were able to make the suspension even more smooth but at the same time get the car to have no body roll .

Last edited by elite7; 07-12-10 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-12-10, 10:31 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you truly drive like an old man, and like the boaty feel of a nice big car... nothing much out there more boaty or for old men (or women) than the LS. It should be the symbol for old men cruising the highway at 70 mph.

I think you'll enjoy the LS430 a lot. Since you have the GS430, you'll really know kind of how the car will act somewhat. The GS430 is "sportier" of course, but if you drive 6K a year and drive slow, you won't notice much of anything except for the extra quietness and finess of the LS.

GS = Good Sedan... LS = LUXURY Sedan.

Go and pamper yourself, maybe with the LS, you'll put on 8K a year.
Old 07-12-10, 10:37 AM
CareyPJ
Rookie

We went from a '00 GS4 to a '07 LS460.

While the LS has much more body roll, it has so much more power. The mileage is about the same.

You really have to watch the speedmeter, because the LS is so much faster & quieter.

Test drive the LS460 & you'll never go back. Make sure the ECU is on Sport!
Old 07-12-10, 03:17 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Fellas i think the guy is considering the 430 and not the 460 as he stated. Although the 460 is better in alot of aspects over the 430, there are some quality issues that he may want to be concerned about with in regards to the 460 and then there is still the price issue. There is much argument to be made about which one is better and imo, the 460 will win by a narrow margin. But that narrow margin comes with a bigger bank hit and some questionable engineering practices.

Now in regards to the GS vs LS thing, i think that as Mole is growing older his needs are changing. He may now want to totally do away with the boyracer style driving for more of the conservative style of driving he has and thats associated with the LS. If that is true, then i would definatly go with the 430. It gives a nice kick of power when needed but pampers you while doing so. If a slight(and i really mean slight) sportier ride is what you still want along with the luxo barge, you can look for the Ultra luxury that has a sport setting that can firm up the ride i heard and then there is the "sports package" LS's that are out there which consist of firmer suspension components and bigger wheels. Good luck in your search and keep us updated on your progress.
Old 07-12-10, 08:23 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Agree the LS460 may be the wonder sled but I don't lay out $45k+ for a used car - just not happening. My guess is that the depreciation on 460s is gonna be steeper than 430s so maybe in 2014, I might consider getting a used 09. In actuality my next car in 2014 or so will hopefully be a fuel cell car or a plug in hybrid of some kind. I don't think I'd touch an 07-08 LS 460 under any circumstances - but that's just me ...JMHO, YMMV, ETC.
Old 07-12-10, 08:46 PM
LexFather

I've driven then all and owned a few GSs. I can't believe I'm saying this as I'm in my low 30s but if you aren't going to be really ripping up the tarmac, I would give the LS 460 a serious look. You don't have to get a LWB, get a SWB which is smaller and not a huge leap like a LWB LS would be.

The LS seats are a huge selling point to me, they offer so many different configurations compared to the GS. The LS NAV screen is larger and ML system is better. Its a roomier car and the V-8 has instant torque (mind you the GS 350 is just as fast, if not slightly faster but it feels different with the V-6). I like the Alacantra optional headliner, feels luxurious.

Steering is a big difference to me. The LS steers much more relaxed than the GS. The LS is also less athletic and you can feel the difference in weight in corners. The LS has a more upright cabin, the GS smaller and more intimate/coupe like . That said the LS 460 feels more atheltic than a LS 430 which has NO sporty intentions.

Not sure your price range but the LS sport is a fantastic blend of GS/LS with some IS F parts...

Now to the LS 430, it really is just one of the grandest luxury cars ever made. There is no confusion with it, it is for luxury (even with the Euro suspension). THe dash layout is incredible, the seats are wonderful, there is tons of room. It is a very relaxed car. The steering is light and the V-8 pulls with the same authority of the GS 430. Its also fairly light for such a big car, under 4000 lbs.
Old 07-12-10, 10:42 PM
elite7
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I've driven then all and owned a few GSs. I can't believe I'm saying this as I'm in my low 30s but if you aren't going to be really ripping up the tarmac, I would give the LS 460 a serious look. You don't have to get a LWB, get a SWB which is smaller and not a huge leap like a LWB LS would be.

The LS seats are a huge selling point to me, they offer so many different configurations compared to the GS. The LS NAV screen is larger and ML system is better. Its a roomier car and the V-8 has instant torque (mind you the GS 350 is just as fast, if not slightly faster but it feels different with the V-6). I like the Alacantra optional headliner, feels luxurious.

Steering is a big difference to me. The LS steers much more relaxed than the GS. The LS is also less athletic and you can feel the difference in weight in corners. The LS has a more upright cabin, the GS smaller and more intimate/coupe like . That said the LS 460 feels more atheltic than a LS 430 which has NO sporty intentions.

Not sure your price range but the LS sport is a fantastic blend of GS/LS with some IS F parts...

Now to the LS 430, it really is just one of the grandest luxury cars ever made. There is no confusion with it, it is for luxury (even with the Euro suspension). THe dash layout is incredible, the seats are wonderful, there is tons of room. It is a very relaxed car. The steering is light and the V-8 pulls with the same authority of the GS 430. Its also fairly light for such a big car, under 4000 lbs.
"That said the LS 460 feels more atheltic than a LS 430 which has NO sporty intentions."

The steering is awesome. I barely have to move the steering wheel and im already in the next lane over. The LS460 does 63 MPH in the slalom. It goes 0-45 MPH in 3.9 seconds.

I agree with you. Great post as always .

Last edited by elite7; 07-12-10 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-12-10, 11:02 PM
vmirjamali
Driver

Actually I was looking into the ls430 series for myself, and my god that car is a luxury beast. Seats are more comfy then the gs, more features all across the board, even the backseat has heating/cooling/adjusting. Amazing stuff. The cost was about the only reason I'm backing down for now and looking for a gs430. it's about... 4k more for an equiv ls series. 460 is out of the world but again we're talking even a higher price point, which i don't know if it's within your range (or most peoples for that matter)
Old 07-12-10, 11:49 PM
FinnLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Never owned a GS but coming from '98 LS400 to '03 LS was a huge leap.
At the moment considering a LS460, BUT all the recalls and quality issues
with the LS460 makes me think again. Valve springs, power steering, windshield noise, clicking brakes etc.

LS430 only had a recall for the early '04 models for some park gear issues in the
transmission?

So if you want to go safe, have a '06 LS
Old 07-13-10, 07:34 AM
elite7
Driver

Originally Posted by FinnLS
Never owned a GS but coming from '98 LS400 to '03 LS was a huge leap.
At the moment considering a LS460, BUT all the recalls and quality issues
with the LS460 makes me think again. Valve springs, power steering, windshield noise, clicking brakes etc.

LS430 only had a recall for the early '04 models for some park gear issues in the
transmission?

So if you want to go safe, have a '06 LS
I disagree. My LS460 has no windshield noise, clicking brakes, valve problems or power steering problems.

As a matter of fact on my 2005 LS430 the a/c went out that blows throughout the passenger side seat and i had to get that fixed up but i had it under warranty so it was all good.

If you wanna be safe you can get a LS460 (preferably 2008 or newer since you dont want to buy the first year a car is made) and you have the 4 year warranty. Therefore there's nothing to worry about.

Im still covered for 2 more years under the original warranty and then i could pick up an extended warranty for probably $1000 more or maybe less .

I checked the service record for my LS460 and all that went out was the Mark Levinson Amp which i am glad that it did. The one they replace it with is better . Plus i didnt have to waste my time driving to the dealer to get it replaced. The previous owner did . Other than that my vehicle has had nothing else replaced. Keep in mind the amp going out may not have been a problem with the quality, but the previous owner may have been blasting the music which caused it to blow out.

Anyhow so far so good in terms of my length of ownership. No problems whatsoever. If there are i will be on the forums and keep y'all updated.

Last edited by elite7; 07-13-10 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-18-10, 09:30 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I have driven a couple of these over the past week and I think it is actually too much car for me. I say this because the as some have pointed out, the car lacks the sporty feel. It fits me like my GS, but it drives too big for me. One of the cars I drove was an UL and it was pristine, beautiful car, awesome features, but I don't see myself wanting to keep it long term based on how it drives.

I guess I am going to go back to searching for a super low mile, super clean 2nd gen GS.

Thanks again for everyone's input, why I love this community, great points, good feeback without drama.

Quick Reply: GS Vs. LS