LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

fog lights malfunctioning.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-10 | 04:37 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Default fog lights malfunctioning.

where to start:

i had an hid kit installed about 4-5 months ago and it had been working fine until i went through a new car wash on friday afternoon. after this car wash i didn't immediately notice but my fogs stopped working. the next day i opened up the plugs for where the stock plug (where the normal 9006 fog bulb would plug in instead going to the hid ballast plug) and inside the plug there was noticeable water. i figured somehow water from the car wash had gotten in there and fried something. i checked the fuse for the fogs and it was fine.

then the next day since everyone seemed to think that both ballasts were fried i tried to then plug a 9006 bulb back into the factory plug and voila it lit up. thus meaning that only the hid ballasts were messed up (since the bulbs both looked fine), so then i plugged one on the other side and it lit up too. i then plugged the hid's back up and then they lit up as well.... problem solved right,,??? well then i decided to wrap both of the plugs with electrical tape so i turned the car off and wrapped both plugs with about 20 feet of electrical tape. turned the car back on and no hid's... what the,,, so i undid all the electrical tape and tried a normal 9006 bulb again, it lit up on one side but not the other. i tried to follow the wire that wouldn't light up and couldn't see any visible damage before it disappeared into the oem wire mess.

i then wiggled all the wires and then realized that neither side had power even to the 9006 bulbs anymore. could this be faulty oem wiring then?? possibly right, well to throw one more layer of confusion on top when the hid's were installed i had the shop install an aftermarket switch that allowed me to have the fogs on with only parking lights and to function independent of the headlights. so i am going to drop by the shop that did the switch and see if they can take a look and try to test that the switch seems to be functioning.

any other thoughts before wasting any more time and possible lots of $$$ trying to get lexus to take a look at it??? thanks,
Old 07-26-10 | 07:08 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

I don't hids but my passenger side went out like yours before so went to autozone and brought new
9006 female plugs cut factories off installed new ones and it been working ever since. Them car washes really can throw some water under the car and mess up electrical wires. Make sure you put cover in place around the wheel that's how it got in mines.They only cost a few bucks for a set.
Old 07-26-10 | 09:15 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

How did you install the HID fogs? Usually, you run a separate harness connected directly to the battery and use the factory harness (ie, cut off the end and splice to the new harness) to trigger the relay. The new harness then plugs to the ballasts/igniters, and bulbs. I wouldn't connect the OEM harness directly to the ballasts/igniters since it's only like 18 ga wiring...can't supply the current. I know if you run high wattage halogen bulbs (say 100w) and use too small wiring, not only will the wiring heat up, but the bulbs won't be as bright and will not last as long. If you're using the OEM harness connected to the ballasts, they might be starving for current, as it takes like 20KV to ignite HIDs soon after turning them off. If you ignite them after they rest for a while, it takes much less voltage. The worst thing you can do for HIDs is to turn them on, then soon off (like with flashing high beam lights).
Old 07-27-10 | 05:32 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
How did you install the HID fogs? Usually, you run a separate harness connected directly to the battery and use the factory harness (ie, cut off the end and splice to the new harness) to trigger the relay. The new harness then plugs to the ballasts/igniters, and bulbs. I wouldn't connect the OEM harness directly to the ballasts/igniters since it's only like 18 ga wiring...can't supply the current. I know if you run high wattage halogen bulbs (say 100w) and use too small wiring, not only will the wiring heat up, but the bulbs won't be as bright and will not last as long. If you're using the OEM harness connected to the ballasts, they might be starving for current, as it takes like 20KV to ignite HIDs soon after turning them off. If you ignite them after they rest for a while, it takes much less voltage. The worst thing you can do for HIDs is to turn them on, then soon off (like with flashing high beam lights).

its just a plug and play hid ballast and bulb kit. its 35w.

this morning when i turned my car and lights on the fogs magically came on... now i'm just super confused.