LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Can we settle on how these seats are suppose to cool,,??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-10, 06:52 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can we settle on how these seats are suppose to cool,,??

my 05 UL is far from being what I would call a seat chiller on those hot days and that was from the first day it was new,, it makes no difference where I am pushing the air, floor, ceiling, together,,

I continue to read that some say there are electronic chillers inside them + air movement and then others say it is only interior air being recirculated,,

does anyone have a repair manual showing the detail on what allows, makes them cool,,

if it is air only why can't we bypass the control and make the fan run continuously,, seems my seat back will cool for about two minutes and that is the end,, would think it is like the heaters and should continue to operate as long as the dial is to cool,

thanks,,

Derry
Old 07-29-10, 07:42 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default LS430 Seat Cutout

I found this image several years ago. It gives you an idea of the amount of air that can get thru the seat, but not the level of detail you're looking for. Just thought this would interest you in your quest for answers.
Attached Thumbnails Can we settle on how these seats are suppose to cool,,??-ls430_seat.jpg  
Old 07-30-10, 08:11 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

any other input or technical info,,??
Old 07-30-10, 09:03 AM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 07-30-10, 09:14 AM
waijai
Racer

The system sends the cool or warm air from the seat surface to ease the warmth, coldness or stuffy feelings on the seat, which the passengers may feel.

By operating the climate control seat SW, the air is sent to seat cushion and seat back from the fan installed under the seat. The air is heated or cooled by the Peltier element installed on the back on the pad of the seat cushion and seat back, and is sent to the seat surface.

And by operating the climate control seat SW, the quantity of the air can be adjusted among three levels for cooled heated, three levels for heated air and the ventilation mode. When the maximum cooled air is sent, the quantity of the air falls one level after the 15 minutes from the operation.
And some info
Old 07-30-10, 09:25 AM
eddie_k_
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same question... In other words the cooling is a temporary thing rather than constant. Is there anyway to make the cooler air temp coming out from the seats more constant?
Old 07-30-10, 09:44 AM
waijai
Racer

If you're on level 3 cooling it'll drop to level 2 after 15 minutes is what I'm gathering.
Old 07-30-10, 11:27 AM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

From what waijai has quoted, the Peltier will draw heat away and send cool air to the seat. Didn't know that. Pretty cool (pun intended)
Old 07-30-10, 12:07 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Isn't there a difference between "ventilated" seats versus "cooled" seats? One just pulls the air from the cabin and the other uses the Peltier system. I'm assuming your UL would have the cooled seats.
Old 07-30-10, 01:03 PM
BradInPhx
Rookie

See my thread on my Cheap Hack to make the Ventilated seats cooler.

Works wonders. When I posted I had done it quick and cheap. I have since used a better setup.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...eats-easy.html
Old 07-31-10, 06:13 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

thanks for the input Brad,, will see what I can do under there,,

what was your improved solution,,??

would be nice to see if we could just control the fan speed and leave it on high when wanted for max,,

Derry
Old 07-31-10, 09:31 AM
BradInPhx
Rookie

The pix in that thread show just one piece of cardboard, then I added more cardboard. Then I went and got a big fountain drink at a gas station, the plastic cup ones. I cut the bottom and used it to go around the fan. Duct tape works wonders.
Old 07-31-10, 09:37 AM
waijai
Racer

Pics from that thread:

An alternative method not using cardboard but other material from Home Depot.

Old 07-31-10, 10:14 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

The suggestion to divert underseat cooling/heating vent does not apply to the LS430 UL. In the UL, the underseat cooling vent extends across the floor and is 10 inches wide.

Also, the UL cooling inlet is located at the front of the seat, not at the rear. It might be possible to be able to duct some of the underseat air into the seat cooling inlet, but would be much more complex than the suggestion above, which is for an IS I believe.
Old 07-31-10, 12:30 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
The suggestion to divert underseat cooling/heating vent does not apply to the LS430 UL. In the UL, the underseat cooling vent extends across the floor and is 10 inches wide.

Also, the UL cooling inlet is located at the front of the seat, not at the rear. It might be possible to be able to duct some of the underseat air into the seat cooling inlet, but would be much more complex than the suggestion above, which is for an IS I believe.
Yep, I was just looking under the seat and found the same thing. I think all LS430s are probably the same. Now I have a crick in my neck. If I can't take my wife out to dinner because of it, I'll blame the forum.

Quick Reply: Can we settle on how these seats are suppose to cool,,??