LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Traded 06 LS430UL for a 07 SL550 - check engine light already

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 07:33 AM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
is there any actual truth in that the amg's are better built than the non amg's... i guess its essentially the same car just with some performance or exterior add on pieces so i think i just answered my own question.

but i will own one one day (amg/black/brabus)
From what I have read about AMG - it appears that the major difference between it and non-AMG's is its engines in the 500 to 600 HP range. They have been referred to as "The absolute epitome of a German V8 hot rod engine". So I would say that if you love hot rod engines AMG is the way to go. As for me the regular 382hp engine in my SL550 is plenty for me. I got almost 24mpg on a 200 mile trip yesterday averaging 75mph whereas the AMG engines must slurp gas at much greater rate.

Oh yeah, the "check engine" light has remained off even after a gas fill up. The loose gas cap triggering a reduction of pressure in the gas tank which generates the check engine light also happens to my neighbors Maxima so it must be a universal problem. While having the SL serviced I got the impression that due to all the sensors in the SL a "check engine" light is not unusual and some owners simply ignore them for months.
Old 08-01-10, 07:40 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackUltra
While having the SL serviced I got the impression that due to all the sensors in the SL a "check engine" light is not unusual and some owners simply ignore them for months.
I don't think there is any less sensors in my LS430 and SC430 then a MB SL, my check engine light never comes on in my cars
Old 08-01-10, 07:49 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I must admit MB is very attractive to me due to their very low residual value, 05'~06' SL65 is on the market today for mid $50k.....who doesn't want to drive a $190k MSRP 600+ hp V12 Twin Turbos roadster? And that SLS is so tasty!!

But I absolutely hate hassles, I hate going to the dealer, I hate dealing with A-hole service guys at the dealer, so no V12 for me I have to settle for my lowly V8 Lexus that is hassle free

Last edited by BNR34; 08-01-10 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-01-10, 07:54 AM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Impressions from first 200 mile trip on differences between LS430 and SL550.

First I miss the roominess of the LS430UL's driver leg room and the much softer seat. Also the Air Suspension of the LS was so much better smoothing out the imperfections in the roadway. So my initial reaction is that for long freeway trips the LS is the way to go. However, once off the freeway the instant responsiveness and pure handling capability like on a winding country road is rather invigorating to say the least. When I advised my wife that she will have to do most of the highway driving from now on she said she could only do up to 2 hours. If we start taking long freeway trips she said we may have to sell the SL, Ha, Ha. Needless to say we may be taking our next trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Old 08-01-10, 07:59 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Sigh.....why can't this world produce a car that is fabulous like a AMG, Bentley and Aston Martin and be reliable like a Lexus?

I am sick of driving a boring Lexus but can't get myself to switch to a problematic car

Sorry for my Sunday morning rant.
Old 08-01-10, 09:53 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Sigh.....why can't this world produce a car that is fabulous like a AMG, Bentley and Aston Martin and be reliable like a Lexus?

I am sick of driving a boring Lexus but can't get myself to switch to a problematic car

Sorry for my Sunday morning rant.

I second that want for the perfect blend of reliability and performance. I guess in a new version a performance car with a warranty is fine but u would still be subject to the hassle of taking it in and possible breakdown or whatever, or the boring but reliable alternative.

Any one got a good recomendation for a car that is the best of both worlds??
Old 08-01-10, 10:19 AM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

I second that want for the perfect blend of reliability and performance. I guess in a new version a performance car with a warranty is fine but u would still be subject to the hassle of taking it in and possible breakdown or whatever, or the boring but reliable alternative.

The Acura NSX was THAT car but the price tag was pretty high and it went through tires like every 10,000 miles. But as a sophisticated performance sports car that you just changed the oil in it was super. Stopped making them a while ago but rumored it may be coming back.

Last edited by BlackUltra; 08-01-10 at 10:20 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 08-01-10, 12:58 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

The Acura NSX was THAT car but the price tag was pretty high and it went through tires like every 10,000 miles. But as a sophisticated performance sports car that you just changed the oil in it was super. Stopped making them a while ago but rumored it may be coming back.
Yeah the NSX was nice, I was REALLY into it for a few years, I got a few friends that owns one so I hung out with a bunch of those owners. I "almost" bought one myself but it is just never fast enough when I was into speed. It is reliable and long lasting though, I talked to a guy that had 240k miles on his, original engine and tranny, it is durable like an Accord.

But at the end, it is still a Japanese car, it doesn't have the imagine and flair of a highend European car.
Old 08-01-10, 01:05 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah even if there is a warranty, I hate to see things malfunction at the moment that I want to use it, then I have to take it in and argue with the service guy that there indeed is a problem, then when they admit there is a problem, have to argue with them that it should be under warranty and it is not wear and tear, it shouldn't be that way. Or the worse yet, stranded on the side of the road in the middle of no where. Just nothing but headaches and hassle. So as boring as a Japanese car is, it is still my preference.

Not really, it would have to be a Japanese car with a European body and badge, a few example are the Lotus Elise and Evora, which is Lotus chassis/body with Toyota drivetrain. Or the Aston Martin Cygnet, which is a Toyota IQ with an Aston Martin body and interior.

The perfect car would be if Bentley or Rolls Royces redo the interior and exterior of a Lexus LS and rebadge it. Just like the Cygnet. I wish!

Last edited by BNR34; 08-01-10 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-02-10, 03:02 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

SL550 is GREAT MACHINE! Gotta love that 380HP! My MB has been rock solid, so don't be fooled think MB is crap. Good luck w/ your new ride!
Old 08-02-10, 10:23 AM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Default Whoops Dead Battery this morning

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
SL550 is GREAT MACHINE! Gotta love that 380HP! My MB has been rock solid, so don't be fooled think MB is crap. Good luck w/ your new ride!
Well appreciate the vote of confidence on the SL550 but after taking ownership on a CPO'd automobile last Monday I have now had a "check engine" light and this morning an almost dead battery. Drove the car 200 miles on Saturday and on the way home went through a violent rainstorm, using the wipers for the first time. Did not drive it at all Sunday and this morning got a warning in RED that said Alternator/Battery failure Stop Car. Unfortunately I had to take someone to the Dentist and was unable to stop car. After about 5 mins of driving the RED error msg was replaced by another in WHITE that said some features would not be working temporarily. Later even that went off.

Called my Benz sales guy and he apologized all over the place. Made an appointment with Service Department tomorrow morning and asked in the meantime if I should put a trickle charger on the battery overnight. He said that would be a great idea. When they CPO'd the car they replaced the engine battery and did not replace the Accessory battery. Hope I do not have an electrical problem.

Being a novice MB owner I can only assume that the battery, while not completely dead, was unable to power the safety devices in the car like air bags and roll bar so I got the "stop car" msg.
Old 08-02-10, 12:05 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I don't think there is any less sensors in my LS430 and SC430 then a MB SL, my check engine light never comes on in my cars
My in-laws Buick Century check engine light comes on due to the supposed "gas cap" every couple months.

You'd think they'd replace the sensor or something once it happens... instead, they keep replacing the gas cap at the dealer. Said the seals go bad.
Old 08-02-10, 12:29 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DDLexus
My in-laws Buick Century check engine light comes on due to the supposed "gas cap" every couple months.

You'd think they'd replace the sensor or something once it happens... instead, they keep replacing the gas cap at the dealer. Said the seals go bad.
Because the gas cap is way cheaper!

That's why I feel the warranty don't mean much sometime, all they do is give you BS run around until either they don't have to do anything or your warranty expired.
Old 08-02-10, 01:06 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Well appreciate the vote of confidence on the SL550 but after taking ownership on a CPO'd automobile last Monday I have now had a "check engine" light and this morning an almost dead battery. Drove the car 200 miles on Saturday and on the way home went through a violent rainstorm, using the wipers for the first time. Did not drive it at all Sunday and this morning got a warning in RED that said Alternator/Battery failure Stop Car. Unfortunately I had to take someone to the Dentist and was unable to stop car. After about 5 mins of driving the RED error msg was replaced by another in WHITE that said some features would not be working temporarily. Later even that went off.

Called my Benz sales guy and he apologized all over the place. Made an appointment with Service Department tomorrow morning and asked in the meantime if I should put a trickle charger on the battery overnight. He said that would be a great idea. When they CPO'd the car they replaced the engine battery and did not replace the Accessory battery. Hope I do not have an electrical problem.

Being a novice MB owner I can only assume that the battery, while not completely dead, was unable to power the safety devices in the car like air bags and roll bar so I got the "stop car" msg.

I just went and checked reliability charts on SLs on consumer reports - not good - yikes. You sure it said "Stop Car"? --maybe it was trying to tell you to "Sell Car"?.
Old 08-02-10, 01:15 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

The way things are going with this SL550 I may be trading right before before the 1.5 years of warranty is up. I hope that the battery issue is something that is turned on and shouldn't be on like an interior light that I can't see. Otherwise this is getting ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Traded 06 LS430UL for a 07 SL550 - check engine light already