LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Traded 06 LS430UL for a 07 SL550 - check engine light already

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-10, 01:27 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I just went and checked reliability charts on SLs on consumer reports - not good - yikes. You sure it said "Stop Car"? --maybe it was trying to tell you to "Sell Car"?.
Ouch!

He just wanted to try the MB experience, noone can blame him
Old 08-02-10, 01:38 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Ouch!

He just wanted to try the MB experience, noone can blame him
Agree - just joking - sorry dude I could not help myself. I all seriousness I hope the battery problem is minor and that the SL550 works out extremely well for you. It is a seriously beautiful sports car.
Old 08-02-10, 04:19 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

love the comments

Regarding sensors popping up, here's one more: Get use to it

On my mb, my front seat passenger airbag sensor has been on (after it went away before warranty expired).

06+, mb supposedly got their act together
Old 08-02-10, 06:58 PM
Jabberwock

The 06-09 MB SLKs have some pretty scary problems - When we were actively shopping for an 07 SLK 350, I read on one MB SLK forum - a guy posted said he was driving his SLK down the street and his SRS warning light goes on - less than 45 secs later, still driving looking at the light, wondering what's up, ALL his airbags go off. MB then wanted $13k to repair/replace airbags. The amazing thing to me is MB tried to deny warranty coverage since he did not stop immediately when the light went on. I would have called the NTSB, Clark Howard, and BBB, local TV news - everybody.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 08-02-10 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-03-10, 07:22 AM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
love the comments

Regarding sensors popping up, here's one more: Get use to it

On my mb, my front seat passenger airbag sensor has been on (after it went away before warranty expired).

06+, mb supposedly got their act together
Wait a minute, my front seat passenger air bag light has been on too. They said it only goes off when someone is sitting in the seat.
Old 08-03-10, 08:38 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
The 06-09 MB SLKs have some pretty scary problems - When we were actively shopping for an 07 SLK 350, I read on one MB SLK forum - a guy posted said he was driving his SLK down the street and his SRS warning light goes on - less than 45 secs later, still driving looking at the light, wondering what's up, ALL his airbags go off. MB then wanted $13k to repair/replace airbags. The amazing thing to me is MB tried to deny warranty coverage since he did not stop immediately when the light went on. I would have called the NTSB, Clark Howard, and BBB, local TV news - everybody.
No way, someone must have made that up!

If that is true, WOW I am speechless

Last edited by BNR34; 08-03-10 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-03-10, 08:39 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackUltra
Wait a minute, my front seat passenger air bag light has been on too. They said it only goes off when someone is sitting in the seat.
Well does it turn off when someone sit in the seat?
Old 08-03-10, 09:41 AM
Jabberwock

No way, I won't believe that unless I see it with my own eyes.

If that is true, WOW I am speechless
I certainly can't prove its true but it is 100% true that I read it and that it was posted by a guy (as happening to him and asking for advice) in one of the main MB SLK forums about a year or so ago. It did not sound at all like he was making it up or joking - far from it. He was shocked and pretty pissed. That and a few other posts convinced me that the current generation SLKs have way too many sensors on them and some potentially buggy and unfixable problems associated with them. I loved the car but I just did not want to deal with so many sensors going off randomly.
Old 08-03-10, 12:42 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Well does it turn off when someone sit in the seat?
I'll let you know when I get the car back from dealer when they have fixed the Alternator/Battery problem. Maybe I will ask the service rep to sit in the psngr seat and see if it goes off.

If I actually had a job to go to and was not retired with a lot of time on my hands I might be somewhat pissed. However, the fact that everyone at the dealership from the Sales Manager on down seems rather embarrassed and apologetic makes me wonder if my situation is NOT the norm.

By the way, when I was turning in my car, another guy had brought in a black/black 2010 SL63 AMG that only had 5,000 miles on it with a check engine oil light. Now that is something that might really **** me off if it happened to me.

Let you all know what is causing the battery to drain when I find out. I really am having fun with this MB experience as long as everything is covered by my warranty.
Old 08-03-10, 01:25 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

FYI: The LS63 AMG is $139,050 and has 518 HP. It is the SL directly above the SL550. I guess it burns oil like a son-of-a-gun.
Old 08-03-10, 01:42 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i once again checked the prices of s63 amg's on the east coast and the going rate seemed to be like 80k right now... when that hits 40k i will be very very interested. hopefully it won't be that long.
Old 08-03-10, 03:44 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackUltra
No, I believe yours is a different scenario.
On newer cars, if there's no passenger, then the airbag is disabled, so it will show AIRBAG OFF.

On mine, it's a defect, so the airbag sensor pops up and hasn't gone away.

Originally Posted by sojah
i once again checked the prices of s63 amg's on the east coast and the going rate seemed to be like 80k right now... when that hits 40k i will be very very interested. hopefully it won't be that long.
by then the warranty has run out and you need to run the other way also
Old 08-03-10, 04:57 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

OK, fix for my RED light warning "STOP CAR" was new accessory battery (as opposed to engine battery) and a new voltage regulator. Also, since they could not replicate the problem they asked me if one of their "techs" could take the car home and put some miles on it to make sure it was fixed. Said it was hard to tell from just a "test" drive. Strange request from the service manager who said it was normal and the driver and car was fully insured. Told the wife and she said "Hell No, go get my d*mn car". So it is back home and now has 2 new batteries which I do not think are covered under any warranty. So I am a happy camper.

Ever since I first drove this car I have felt very comfortable behind the wheel. It is like I have driven it all my life. Hard to describe but it really is so much fun to drive and the superb acceleration has a lot to do with all the fun.
Old 08-03-10, 06:19 PM
Diogenes
Rookie

Congratulations on the SL. Keep an eye on www.benzworld.org. Plenty of good info on SLs from some pretty knowledgeable people.
Old 08-04-10, 08:26 AM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Diogenes
Congratulations on the SL. Keep an eye on www.benzworld.org. Plenty of good info on SLs from some pretty knowledgeable people.
Thanks, I was planning on joining just to ask some questions because my problems do not seem to be the norm. Battery may have been just weak and no further problems should occur. Scary msg to "Stop Car" though.

Quick Reply: Traded 06 LS430UL for a 07 SL550 - check engine light already