LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Boring (stability control)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 07:19 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

wow it looks pretty cool too - i bet that's fun to throw around. You guys have way too many toys : )
Old 08-01-10, 08:12 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
wow it looks pretty cool too - i bet that's fun to throw around. You guys have way too many toys : )
that thing wasnt really a toy, it was an accident, it was a moster...

it took the power from a fully built rb20det engine that made around 600 horsepower while reving out to 13,000 RPM, put it through the 300zx transmission and through the KAAZ 2way mechinical LSD and burned it through the 275/35/18 tires...

god i love making useless and extremely long run-on sentences
Old 08-01-10, 09:59 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was also going to mention that it takes a little bit more than some coilovers and a lsd to have fun going sideways ina 240. The turbo tuned built motor helps a little , as does the trans and tires.
Old 08-26-10, 11:11 AM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

I have on occasion, turned off the 'VSC', because I had noticed when entering an access road to avoid being hit by oncoming traffic, I floored it and it hesitated for what seemed like a second. This concerned me (the thought of a chrome enema didn't appeal to me), and I thought that maybe the LS is just slow like that. Then, one day I did it again with the 'VSC' off, and new tires spun like crazy, and wouldn't stop until I let off. Is the 'VSC' that influential under most circumstances, or is this just a fluke? I'm personally aware of how it works in slides, snow, ice, rain; but, acceleration was something I didn't anticipate...
Old 08-26-10, 01:02 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

wait so the TRAC button is what turns the vehicle stability control? These words are interchangable or different systems all together. I never turn mine off b/c i hate seeing the light on the dash. LOL
Old 08-26-10, 07:15 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default For Lexus...

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
wait so the TRAC button is what turns the vehicle stability control? These words are interchangable or different systems all together. I never turn mine off b/c i hate seeing the light on the dash. LOL
For Lexus the terms VSC or TRAC seems to synonymous. I think for '01-'03 the button was marked with VSC or TRAC, and then '04-'06 it was the other one. Served the same function.

I think the one button deactivates traction control, which is also linked to stability.... but I'm not 100% certain.
Old 08-26-10, 07:42 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm pretty sure you will have to go decently fast to get the back to slide out. I had a 95 5 series about 2-3 yrs ago and got the rear to come out during a turn when I threw it into a tight <90 degree turn (night time, no traffic). It was fun, but I didn't have the ***** to do it in a more expensive car (a 328 last year) and definitely not the LS430 (except snow, that will be fun lol). Get a cheap rwd car, such as the 240 sx, and practice with that.
Old 08-27-10, 07:16 AM
pacinitaly
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LSDoc
I have on occasion, turned off the 'VSC', because I had noticed when entering an access road to avoid being hit by oncoming traffic, I floored it and it hesitated for what seemed like a second. This concerned me (the thought of a chrome enema didn't appeal to me), and I thought that maybe the LS is just slow like that. Then, one day I did it again with the 'VSC' off, and new tires spun like crazy, and wouldn't stop until I let off. Is the 'VSC' that influential under most circumstances, or is this just a fluke? I'm personally aware of how it works in slides, snow, ice, rain; but, acceleration was something I didn't anticipate...

so you did not feel the drive by wire delay, it just peeled out?

I hate that delay, but then I always drive like an 80yr old anyway.
tonight, I'll try to hit the switch and see what happens.
Old 08-27-10, 07:28 AM
m3nv
Pole Position

The LS is a pretty "boring" car, but boring doesnt equal bad... Its just not a sport car like my M3.
Old 08-27-10, 08:51 AM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by pacinitaly
so you did not feel the drive by wire delay, it just peeled out?

I hate that delay, but then I always drive like an 80yr old anyway.
tonight, I'll try to hit the switch and see what happens.
I'm not sure what the 'drive by wire delay' is; maybe that's what I experienced when it hesitated after I floored it to avoid the approaching traffic. The experience of waiting for the power to arrive at the rear wheels is not something that I'm inclined to tolerate, so I'm wondering if I should keep my VSC off except in situations such as inclement weather. Has anyone else experienced this???
Old 08-27-10, 09:08 AM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

^ Before it was drive by cable, were the gas pedal was hooked up to the TB via a cable.

Now with all the MPG laws coming into effect..ect Fly by wire is in every car now, its when your gas pedal connected to the computer, so when you push the gas down, you get a little bit of lag, until the computer reacts. If you never driven a DBC(Drive by cable car) you wont really notice it.

IMO, VDC,ESC,VSC w/e you call it should stay on 100% of the time unless your at a track or stuck in the mud. That if you want to track the LS lol.

Its a life saving system and you want it one when you need it most. If you getting it to active while driving in the city then you need to learn to drive.

But with the VSC off you can spin the wheels quiet easily.
Old 08-27-10, 09:22 AM
pacinitaly
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tsslaporte
^ Before it was drive by cable, were the gas pedal was hooked up to the TB via a cable.

Now with all the MPG laws coming into effect..ect Fly by wire is in every car now, its when your gas pedal connected to the computer, so when you push the gas down, you get a little bit of lag, until the computer reacts. If you never driven a DBC(Drive by cable car) you wont really notice it.

IMO, VDC,ESC,VSC w/e you call it should stay on 100% of the time unless your at a track or stuck in the mud. That if you want to track the LS lol.

Its a life saving system and you want it one when you need it most. If you getting it to active while driving in the city then you need to learn to drive.

But with the VSC off you can spin the wheels quiet easily.
tsslaporte does this = " the screen savers leo laporte " ?????
Old 08-27-10, 09:56 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've driven plenty of DBW and nothing was worse than the 1st gen. TSX. I've also driven plenty of conventional wired accelerators and there is always some sort of lag when you MASH the pedal. The engine management of any system is not going to give you instant power just because the fuel delivery is not instantly adjusted the moment you jam the pedal.

It's the amount of hesitation that we can accept or tolerate that we perceive a "lag." I don't fell the LS is any worse or better than any other DBW system and honestly, 90% of LS drivers would not know otherwise what the system was or that it "lagged" in any way. You're talking about hauling a 4K lb. vehicle and having it accelerate instantly once you mash the pedal? I don't think so.
Old 08-27-10, 10:13 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by CDW91
I'm never bored driving my LS.
Neither am I.
Old 08-28-10, 12:57 PM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by pacinitaly
tsslaporte does this = " the screen savers leo laporte " ?????
It sure does, I think your the first one to finally notice

Quick Reply: Boring (stability control)