LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

So long fellow LS owners.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-10, 07:13 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Please by no means get me wrong here. I'm sure the quality, the ergonomics are better in the Lexus but the fit is not there. Things don't line up and like I said before... When I sit in a Hyundai I expect a certain quality and finish and the car actually passes my expectations for a car of it's class with flying colors.

When I sit in a LS I expect a whole lot more and I'm sorry to say the LS460 fails miserably at it. Then again it's my opinion!! I have had only about 5 LSs previously to compare... And was in the car business where I came across a good few 100 LS460s to come to this conclusion.

How many cars have you appraised that have 30 to 40k and driven by a person that this car was squarely aimed at?? Drive a CPO 06 LS with 30k and right after that drive an 07 with similar miles and tell me you don't see the difference.

I'm sure the new one has more gadgets but it def. doesn't feel as solid a car as the ucf31s and the same comparison goes to the ucf31s to the 20s n 21s

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but there is no way that I can agree with your prior statement. I'm even surprised at myself for taking the time to upload comparison photos. These are pics of a 2008 Sonata and LS460. I'm even more surprised nobody else (on here) is calling you out on such an outlandish statement. Well...not really.

It's one thing to acknowledge how far Hyundai has come in the past 10 years. I agree with that. It's also fair to state that Toyota/Lexus has slipped from the very top pinnacle of quality which was the hallmark of a Lexus. I agree with that.

BUT....there is no way you can add those 2 statements and derive a sum or conclusion that the interior of a Sonata is of better build quality, materials, and worksmanship than the 460. I mean, talk about LOL?!That is just outright false, regardless how "good" Hyundai is or how "bad" Lexus is. I am not a fanboi of Toyota/Lexus either, but merely call them as they are.

Seriously though?...I think we're just wasting eachothers time now.

Last edited by JDMUSCLE; 08-02-10 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-02-10, 07:41 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I understand and respect everyones opinion when it comes to the 430 vs 460, I have owned (still have the 460) both of them. I feel some things Lex dropped the ball on when comparing them but they also did some great things too, I'm enjoying my 460 with NO regrets. I think you guys should make your own mind up between the two gens after spending some time with the 460 IMO.
Old 08-03-10, 05:25 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemareen
uh hyundai owns kia and hyundai just made record profits the last quarter in the history of the company.

do you only look at branding or do u not know a good design when u see one ? aside from the branding, the new korean designs have surpassed the japanese and have chartered into european territory.

but some people feel more secure with a "brand name" item which is understandable.
I thought it said Forbes but looks like the article is from Wall Street something

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bud...appear-in-2011

btw i buy used cars over new cars so if i were that concerned with brand imaging i would surely be driving a new 3 series or E3something since where I live at your a nobody if you don't have one of the above or at least an a4 convertible

sounds like your a spokesperson for hyundai/kia good luck with that.
Old 08-03-10, 04:53 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Just in....Toyota sienna has CR ratings that equal a Kia sedona.... Toyota/Lexus really need to wake up and know that people are not going to buy their cars no matter what they make.... It's the kind of attitude that companies had in the past (Benz, gm) that brought them to thier knees... Well it's time for Toyota to face the reality!!
Old 08-03-10, 05:27 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, i hope they do address the issue and it is a wake up call,, like someone mentioned earlier i think toyota has better positioned their business to be able to react a lot quicker to market conditions or even quality conditions more so than some other car companies in the past.
Old 08-03-10, 05:43 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
I really hope the LS460L is my next car, but who knows. All I know is I want the one with Suede Headliner and Leather covering all of the dash with cool box in the rear. Do i have to get LS600hL in order to get all this??
Suede headliner and cool box are available on the LS 460 L, but leather dash is on LS 600h L only.
Old 08-06-10, 07:39 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemareen
wow I didn't think lexus LS interior's were that bad, but then again I've never been in one. I used to own a ucf30 2001 and the interior was top notch.

as for the hyundai topic, I think they decided to prove themselves with their cars than the marketing. Look at samsung and lg, all once budget brand names and now their names are just as grandeur as sony with no re-branding.

here is the upcoming kia k7 cadenza...starts at 26k, bigger than the lexus gs at 195" in length, 4 cyl with optional 6 cyl, front wheel drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTPAhGSgmXs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlyj2IPyA_I

and here is the upcoming kia optima k5...starts at 19,500. standard 4 cyl engine same as the current sonata.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD0zV...eature=related

these two models should be here in the states some time next year. the koreans are going hit hard and strong with the elantra, equus, optima and cadenza. it's going to be interesting.
The K7 looks like a hodgepdodge of a LS460 and Audi A4. The K5 looks very accordish. Nice looking vehicles though
Old 08-06-10, 06:35 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
.... Toyota/Lexus really need to wake up and know that people are not going to buy their cars no matter what they make
Ehhhh...not so fast.

I could name several people on here who are just blindly loyal Toyota fanbois......no matter what.
Old 08-06-10, 10:56 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Ehhhh...not so fast.

I could name several people on here who are just blindly loyal Toyota fanbois......no matter what.
I agreed, there are millions, if not billions of people with the Toyota rock solid dependable image burned into their head. Just like Mercede's 3 point star image. Doesn't matter how bad the products become, they will always have loyal customers.
Old 08-15-10, 12:19 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BNR34
I agreed, there are millions, if not billions of people with the Toyota rock solid dependable image burned into their head. Just like Mercede's 3 point star image. Doesn't matter how bad the products become, they will always have loyal customers.
Very true... But do you guys remember Caddillac and it's road down to the shyters in the 80s n 90s after being THE car to have in the 50s, 60s n 70s? Everything comes to an end and Lexus currently has the mist boring line up if cars at the moment and they are all stale in the market!!

Go sit in the new jaguar XJ and then go sit in the LS and tell me if you notice something!!

Jaguar XJ... You know you are sitting in a top of the line car from a manufacturer with stuff not seen before and unique switches buttons n designs.

Lexus LS460... Feels like a fully loaded car of some sort... Nothing unique in there that sets it apart from the smaller cars in the line up... Frankly the car is too plain and doesn't feel like a top of the line car in any aspect!!

Think about it, when the original LS came out in the early nineties it was a breath of fresh air... Now.. Every car has the optitron guages and the features this car was pioneer in.., n top it with cheap things only makes it worse!!

Well... No Lexus in my future and I think the next yacht in my house will either be the 7 or an S or could quiet potentially be a XJ!!
Old 08-15-10, 12:44 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree that when it comes to the interior of the new XJ, IMO nothing can compete with it In that class far as fit & finish. The cabin will blow your mind with the intense attention to detail & craftsmanship, retro meets comtepoary in a new refreshing way. My 460 interior can't hold a candle to the XJ's, my hope is Lexus will step their game up come 2012 when the next gen LS revealed.
Old 08-15-10, 05:17 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tee
I agree that when it comes to the interior of the new XJ, IMO nothing can compete with it In that class far as fit & finish. The cabin will blow your mind with the intense attention to detail & craftsmanship, retro meets comtepoary in a new refreshing way. My 460 interior can't hold a candle to the XJ's, my hope is Lexus will step their game up come 2012 when the next gen LS revealed.
I'm hoping so as well, as I won't be in the market for a big luxury car for another two years atleast... Although they have made the LS460 sports interior nice but it still can't compete with the cars that are in it's class.
Old 08-15-10, 05:23 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

damn u got rid of it?!?! that sucks dude now how am i gonna spot u on the southern state now?

also i need a ride in the vette lol, my friend with the magnacharged gto said its dumb fast.
Old 08-15-10, 05:30 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
damn u got rid of it?!?! that sucks dude now how am i gonna spot u on the southern state now?

also i need a ride in the vette lol, my friend with the magnacharged gto said its dumb fast.
Hehe... I didn't know you knew the guy with the supercharged GTO... I raced him a few months ago. Let me know whenever you want a ride in the Vette...

Well you can spot me in the Vette on nice sunny days or a grey venza on the shyty days!!
Old 08-15-10, 05:52 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yea man hes my close friend lol.

hahaha ill be on the lookout.

Quick Reply: So long fellow LS owners.....