LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

18 Inch OEM Wheels - Plating is lifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 04:15 PM
anniversar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 18 Inch OEM Wheels - Plating is lifting

I was just checking my tire pressures and noticed the plating on the wheels is bubbling in places. Anyone like to guess whether this is covered by the CPO warranty. I think I can already guess the answer
Old 08-01-10, 05:51 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My non-CPO 05 LS also has chrome wheels that have a bunch of scrapes from hitting the curb - all 4. (The service manager and I agreed that the previous owner simply didn't know how to park.) Luckily, I had a nail in the tire of the worst wheel and I had Belle tire swap with the new wheel on the spare.
Old 08-01-10, 06:52 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Shortly after i bought my car i noticed that the car's original 18' wheels were either replaced with replicas or repainted with a non-factory finished. After this recent bad winter, they started to chip badly and bubble in some places. Replacing with the original wheels is one of my missions this summer. Make sure the wheels are original and not replicas. If so, then see if you can get the dealer to replace them with the proper ones.

Also, congrats on the new ride.
Old 08-01-10, 09:38 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The chrome plating is cover under the Lexus warranty "IF" the chrome wheels you have is indeed OEM Lexus. Yes the LS is the only model that Lexus offer optional chrome wheels on. (They might have it for the LX also, but I am not 100% on that since I don't care for any SUV )

2 of my OEM chrome wheels were replaced under warranty because of discoloration of the chrome plating.
Old 08-02-10, 07:20 AM
tomkirklan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just took my 06 in last week for the same issue and they said the chrome wheels were not covered under the CPO because they are not OEM. I am very confused because the look OEM to me and they said the original dealer must have dipped them because Lexus never offered chrome wheels. I am in the process of trying to figure out how to prove to them that they came from the manufacture that way and not the dealer...

Tom
Old 08-02-10, 08:57 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tomkirklan
I just took my 06 in last week for the same issue and they said the chrome wheels were not covered under the CPO because they are not OEM. I am very confused because the look OEM to me and they said the original dealer must have dipped them because Lexus never offered chrome wheels. I am in the process of trying to figure out how to prove to them that they came from the manufacture that way and not the dealer...

Tom
Your BS meter should have been pegged on that one.

From our FAQ thread:

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_library/LS/2006.html

Rim Type
Aluminum alloy
Chrome alloy Optional

I believe any Toyota or Lexus dealer can enter the VIN into their system and print out a copy of the window sticker listing all options on the car. The chrome wheels should be listed. If you know the option code for the chrome wheels, it may be listed on the build sticker that is probably somewhere in the trunk(?).
Old 08-02-10, 09:02 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tomkirklan

Tom
Yes most dealer/service advisor don't realized Lexus offer factory chrome wheel for the LS430 because it is the only model that they offer that. All other wheels are aftermarket dipped. So those ignorant guys just think they are all aftermarket dipped. I had to proved my service advisor wrong.

A few ways to proved them wrong, 1st show them that Lexus sell that wheel with the chrome plating directly. Then show them your original window sticker, if you don't have your window sticker, Lexus keep a record of the window sticker of all cars they sold, you can access that by calling their customer service hotline.

But it is possible that your wheels could be dipped if you don't know they are factory chrome as a fact.

Good luck!
Old 08-02-10, 09:15 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

post a pic of your wheels please... i'm sure we can tell you pretty quickly if they are OEM or aftermarket.
Old 08-02-10, 09:26 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DDLexus
post a pic of your wheels please... i'm sure we can tell you pretty quickly if they are OEM or aftermarket.
From pics, with the tire mounted, can you spot if they are OEM chrome or OEM silver dipped in chrome? Do the chrome wheels have a unique number stamped / embossed on them?
Old 08-02-10, 09:36 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

From the pics we can tell if they are OEM or non-OEM wheels. Take a look at these examples.

Pic 1 of OEM, Pic 2 is aftermarket.
Attached Thumbnails 18 Inch OEM Wheels - Plating is lifting-oemchrome1.jpg   18 Inch OEM Wheels - Plating is lifting-fakeoemchrome.jpg  
Old 08-02-10, 09:57 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caddyowner
From pics, with the tire mounted, can you spot if they are OEM chrome or OEM silver dipped in chrome? Do the chrome wheels have a unique number stamped / embossed on them?
No, you can't tell.