going back to japan next week

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-10, 06:46 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by motohide
Cool!
I'm from Osaka, born and raised from birth to when I was 9 years of age, before we moved to California, when my dad got called by an All Nippon Airline executive to open a Udon SOba restaurant in San Francisco. I live in LA now with my own store, Mifune.

Anyway, if you are a food enthusiast you have to check out "Doguya Machi" district in Nipponbashi, near Namba (Minami). It's home to Kansai area's food service industry, and there you will find a lot of kitchenware and food prep supplies from all over Japan. Interesting things like takoyaki pans, character mugs and plates, okosama lunch plates, plastic food samples, signs, chochin, silverware, bento boxes, aprons etc. Near there also is the "Den Den Town" which is Osaka's equivalent of Akihabara, where you will see 100's of toys and electronics stores, and the maids, anime fans, and nerds that come with the territory. Maid Cafe's there are hilarious.

There is an Amlux in Osaka, as well as Honda Plaza and SONY Tower, which also may be interesting.

Kaiyouhaku Aquarium is one of the largest and best in the world if you are into marine life.

Junction Produce is home in Osaka, so that's a VIP visit for you there.

Kuidaore is a tourist spot, fun place, and if you venture into the side streets, you will find the local dives that are tiny stores that tastes even better!

good stuff,, my wife and her/our friends have taken me to all of those places cept for the aquarium and the jp store. my wife said she will take me to the jp store next week but i was worried it was just like a wharehouse possibly with a dude and a catalog and not really worth the trip over there... if this is not the case i am def gonna go check it out then. i was gonna inquire about getting some rear lip spoilers and rear window top spoiler dress parts from jp as well as the jdm visors from the nearby toyota dealership.

those maid places are a trip and my friend was trying to take me in to one last time but i made the executive decision to not even find out what goes down in those places

i love all the small dive shops and local bars n such... my fav are the takoyaki stands, i also love the 551 at the airport plus the okonomiyaki and tepinyaki (although not indigenous to osaka), kamonamba is my fav udon spot in osaka. i used to live in okinawa and really miss the okinawa soba although the normal soba is good it can't beat the okinawa soba for me. i wish we were going to okinawa on this trip as well.

i was referring to the definition of the word Kuidaore not the actual place.but just the act of self indulging in good food and drink numerous times until you get the itis

i've actually never been in the sony tower although i went to it just not in it... i went to that famous spot where you dunk all your fried foods into the sauce (only once) over by the tower,, i forget the name but it was surely a kick *** spot. my wife grew up there so she and her friends all seem to know the famous little spots like this one famous yaki-tori place but you can choose any parts ... also this famous fondue type spot and a awesome kobe beef location, as well as a bad *** french lunch place and 2 dimsum locations, 1 for lunch and 1 for dinner, my fav is prolly the sushi-go-rounds, not even sure how you spell it, something like korakorazushiż... i forget all the names since i only go like 1 time in every 1.5 years but i got lots of pics on my home computer...

so what is your single favorite place to eat at in osaka? which location do you miss the very most?

we actually stayed at a business hotel like steps from that kitchen ware stirip mall with all the little eateries last time for a week before moving on to another location. i found an awesome reggae bar close by and hidden down a little alley and i am looking forward to going back to my favorite dancehall club over near there too...

i have also wanted to get an authentic japanese style tattoo every time i go over there but am not sure where a good tattoo shop would be at. i have passed by a few little shops and what not but i don't just want any shop, i want a very respectable tattoo shop and artist, however on a walk in basis i am prolly not apt to get this sort of service and i don't even know where a top shop would be at.

Last edited by sojah; 08-05-10 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-05-10, 07:11 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kmaracing
Osaka is cool. I went there a few times to shoot some stories a few years back. I don't know if these shops or shows still open. The Osaka Messe show is cool for VIP cars. It's was in the winter though. It was just as cool to sit in the parking lot and watch all the cars cruise. These Osaka guys are really hard core. The VIP cars I seen had no air suspension. Driving around with there cars slammed! Literally 1" off the ground. Did a story on Garson / DAD a while back. They have a retail outlet called Tire House Catus. This place is packed full of Garson stuff. Not too sure if you like that style. Also shot a story on Wald. Unfortunately no mag picked up that story. They have a retail outlet too. You should pick up the supercharger they have on display!

If you want to pick up some aftermarket parts in the beginning of your trip you should go Signal Auto and talk to Yumi. They can order what you need and by the time you come back they could have your parts. I think they can get VIP parts. Just a warning. Carrying back those Japanese magazines is a *****. You get 4 or 5 of those your carry on gets really heavy! lol

The Osaka Aquarium is really crazy. They have a Whale Shark! Going to Japan right now is going to be expensive. I'm getting ready to go to Tokyo on 8/25 so I've been checking the yen. Today is was down to 86.2 yen per dollar. Have fun. Hopefully you will be staying somewhere with a/c. Osaka right now is going to be hot! lol.
Wald huh,, apparently my wife used to live with this dude who was one of the original founders of wald and ended up like cashing in and walking after a few years of not being profitable,, i often think about if he had kept on with it, that would have been sweet for him, well maybe not so much for me but whatever.

yeah those mags are heavy as a ***** and everytime i get stuck carrying a few of them with those little *** plastic bags that just slice into your fingers after a few hours of holding them and walking around. i hate carrying a backpack but it may be a necessary evil this time to not have to carry all my wifes shiznit.

the exchange rate blows right now but it was actually a little worse last time i went, i think its paying me back from when i lived there and it was like 120-128 for 2 years and i was getting paid buku duckets to be living overseas especially with the exchange rate.

last time back in jan 2008 i saw a big garson/dad display of some mb sl's i think and a swarzofski (/ż) display of some sl i think and it was crazy but not my taste at all. yeah our hotel parking lot of whatever lot was across the street last time was like a freakin vip meet and those cars were all just parked there cuz it was their home. there were like 5 aristos and like 4 celsiors all rimmed up on coilovers or air with body kits and annoying loud *** exhaust (prolly no cats), most had weird fish gill vip ish body inserts which i am not exactly crazy about. i loved seeing all the "8" plate brabus benz's and high end euros... dudes in suits with the gully face riding around in 200K+ cars with "8's" on their plates seems kinda cool, if your into that sort of thing... i always take pics of their cars not knowing if they would actually be car guys and enjoy taking about their rides or if they are just mean spirited people with too much money.

i never understood that ^ ^ ^. here is my overgeneralized statement for the day. if you have a nice car and you add nice dress up vip parts on it, you should enjoy it and enjoy getting props for it, you should even enjoy talking about it or enjoy that someone else into the vip or euro thing is taking the time to admire your style in your car, you should not be an uptight *** hole douche bag that gets pissed anytime anyone looks at your car and try to be a tough guy about it, that is just motha freakin homo if you ask me.
Old 08-05-10, 07:28 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tq745
how much for you to pick up and send a data controller to hawaii? Very interested in picking one up from you....lmk.
yahoo auctions sells them for like 1/3 the price so if you order one from there you can have it shipped for pennies to my hotel and i can bring it back for you, but the shpping to HI from JP is prolly cheap anyways. check out the prices on yahoo auctions.jp
Old 08-05-10, 10:53 AM
tq745
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
yahoo auctions sells them for like 1/3 the price so if you order one from there you can have it shipped for pennies to my hotel and i can bring it back for you, but the shpping to HI from JP is prolly cheap anyways. check out the prices on yahoo auctions.jp
cool thanks ima check it out...
Old 08-05-10, 12:48 PM
kmaracing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wald huh,, apparently my wife used to live with this dude who was one of the original founders of wald and ended up like cashing in and walking after a few years of not being profitable,, i often think about if he had kept on with it, that would have been sweet for him, well maybe not so much for me but whatever.

yeah those mags are heavy as a ***** and everytime i get stuck carrying a few of them with those little *** plastic bags that just slice into your fingers after a few hours of holding them and walking around. i hate carrying a backpack but it may be a necessary evil this time to not have to carry all my wifes shiznit.

the exchange rate blows right now but it was actually a little worse last time i went, i think its paying me back from when i lived there and it was like 120-128 for 2 years and i was getting paid buku duckets to be living overseas especially with the exchange rate.

last time back in jan 2008 i saw a big garson/dad display of some mb sl's i think and a swarzofski (/ż) display of some sl i think and it was crazy but not my taste at all. yeah our hotel parking lot of whatever lot was across the street last time was like a freakin vip meet and those cars were all just parked there cuz it was their home. there were like 5 aristos and like 4 celsiors all rimmed up on coilovers or air with body kits and annoying loud *** exhaust (prolly no cats), most had weird fish gill vip ish body inserts which i am not exactly crazy about. i loved seeing all the "8" plate brabus benz's and high end euros... dudes in suits with the gully face riding around in 200K+ cars with "8's" on their plates seems kinda cool, if your into that sort of thing... i always take pics of their cars not knowing if they would actually be car guys and enjoy taking about their rides or if they are just mean spirited people with too much money.

i never understood that ^ ^ ^. here is my overgeneralized statement for the day. if you have a nice car and you add nice dress up vip parts on it, you should enjoy it and enjoy getting props for it, you should even enjoy talking about it or enjoy that someone else into the vip or euro thing is taking the time to admire your style in your car, you should not be an uptight *** hole douche bag that gets pissed anytime anyone looks at your car and try to be a tough guy about it, that is just motha freakin homo if you ask me.
I heard the owner of Wald got backing from his wife's family publishing business. Not too sure if that's true. They are a unusual company. They make furniture and customize boats too. Wald has a nice showroom in Osaka and Garson has that retail outlet next door to their office. All three of those companies are pretty competitive. I would think JP would have a nice showroom. Well that was like 4 or 5 years ago so not too sure how these guys are doing now.

This morning the exchange rate was down to 86.09. Damn. My trip on the 8/25 is going to expensive.

I shot the 1st Garson crystal SL and did a profile on the owner. He was a really nice guy. Since that time the came out with another crystal SL. Garson is a pretty unique company too. They have 60 demo cars. They buy each car to prototype their products. I wouldn't go out to their place since you don't like their style. Their showroom is packed with Garson stuff.

Those VIP cars are suppose to be gangster right? So I could see some of those owners having attitude problems. lol. When I was walking around the parking lot at Osaka Messe there were some guys out there giving dirty looks at a rival car club. It was pretty funny. The parking lot was automated. Pay with a coin and the parking arm goes up. There were was group of 4 cars that all lined up really close. The first guy paid and the rest rushed out. lol I could see some of them being jack a..... I used to go up to them as talk to them first ask them few questions about their cars and ask to shoot some photos they are really nice to you. Sometimes I've ran into some a holes. Good luck when you go out there.
Old 08-05-10, 01:18 PM
tq745
Pit Crew

Tried looking up on yahoo auctions but couldn't find it. What should I be searching for?
Old 08-05-10, 01:56 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

look for the datasystems or "asc680" rather with the harness for "セルシオ"
Old 08-05-10, 02:05 PM
tq745
Pit Crew

oh I should be looking in the japan yahoo auctions?
Old 08-06-10, 05:16 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i asked my friend to PM you, he used a middle man third party site who just charges like a $50 fee to order whatever you want from a japanese site and ship it to you wherever you are.
Old 08-06-10, 07:25 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would love this info Sojah!
Old 08-06-10, 11:02 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Yea the site I ordered from is http://www.m2-shop.com/

You email them what you want here order@m2-shop.com and they will send the bill to ur paypal, once paid they will send it.
Old 08-06-10, 05:55 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea the site I ordered from is http://www.m2-shop.com/

You email them what you want here order@m2-shop.com and they will send the bill to ur paypal, once paid they will send it.
Thank you sir!
Old 08-10-10, 08:28 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

so attempt 1 is a massive fail.

i looked up the closest toyota dealership from our hotel which was about 1.2 miles or so which is a little far to walk so we went 2 stops on the train and boom there it was. we walked in at 9am (woke up a little early on account of the time difference ) my wife explains to the guy that i am looking for some jdm side window visors for a 2005 toyota celsior. the guy basically says that they only have a few parts and are more or less a show room for new models so we'd better go to their parts department location or whatever. i kept insisting that the guy call just to make sure that they even have them so we don't have to go all the way down there for nothing, or at least they could order them and then we could pick them up at a later time right?? well the guy says he can't call unless i have some code from my car signifying which exact car it is so they can look up the part. i kept saying in broken japanese that the car is the ucf31 after minor change and he said well we need some code, i kept saying that the visors should be the exact same for the ucf30/31 car. he said he wouldn't call over to the parts store unless i had this code because this was the first thing they would ask for and he didn't want to tell them he didn't know the code. i finally said the vin?? the guy seemed like this was the code, so i busted out my internet phone and was about halfway to getting my vin since its on my insurance website after i log in.... its a hassle but i was about to get it then he tells my wife that since my car was the US market that its obviously a different code and i would have to go to the parts store myself and tell them,,, i kept telling the racist *** not so helpful mechanic wannabe that i just wanted him to check if the other store had them before we went all the way over there. he refused to call them for us and just basically told us he could do nothing more for us and gave us the address only of the store's location.

well we hop in a taxi now around 9.30 bound for this other toyota location. 2 taxi's later (the first didn't know where the address is how do you not know where a place is by the address within a couple miles from your own city where you live and work???) the second taxi dropped us off at a police station and told us that he knew we were close but didn't know how to find the exact location still even with the address in hand. the police station was closed so a gas stand attendant was able to point us in the right direction and we found the toyota store now at around 10.15 am and about 1400 yen which is like 16$ right now... the store is freakin closed for the entire week because of the holiday week (OBON). took us another taxi and another 17$ or so to get back to where we pretty much started from and about 2.5 hours of our time. i now have a pretty damn big blister on one foot and nothing to show for my troubles. my wife is pissed at me cuz i kept insisting that we just get the number of the toyota parts place and call to make sure anything before we head over... apparently i said it was all her fault and now she is about to talk to the manager of that toyota dealership for not being of further assistance.

i love a lot of stuff about japan but i seriously hate a lot of stuff about it too. a lot of the people here are so black or white that there is no middle ground, and the middle ground is where i operate best at. i usually don't take no for an answer in the states and am usually pretty good at getting people to help me out when need be, but my wife being japanese just goes along with the situation no matter if its right or wrong because of her personality, neither of us is right or wrong, but if someone told her to walk on the other side of the street because it was wednesday and thats where you walk on wednesday she would, am i wrong for wanting to find out why we can't walk down the street or why there are 100 other people doing it and whey we are the only ones who have to do it??

this is the 3rd example of a complete lack of customer service in about 1.75 short days in japan. the best thing this country had going for it (the customer service) is seriously deteriorating quickly and i'm about to turn into the ugly new yorker (i can play that part very well too) if this shiz keeps up. i lived in okinawa for a couple years and it was awesome, everyone was so helpful and friendly but here in osaka its dog eat dog and every man (or woman) for themselves. you get cut off if you standing 2 feet away from something from someone who wants to stand 1 foot away from it

i wonder how it would have gone down had i gone to a lexus dealersip? last time i could barely get out of the lex dealership before they gave me more and more free hard cover awesome books. the young generation out here is so ****ed up its incredible. i shall refer to them as marsha marsha martians from now on
Old 08-10-10, 09:12 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Sorry about your morning hope you have better luck else where in osaka. That guy just didn't wanna come to work so he has attitude all day!!!
Old 08-11-10, 03:17 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

USA is built for customer service and lazy people. there is no other country in the world like this one..

P.S. Did you find that book and the key chain?

Quick Reply: going back to japan next week