LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Wind Noise Cured for 10 cents!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-10, 03:29 PM
anniversar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wind Noise Cured for 10 cents!

After reading the posts on the LS 430 wind noise that appears to originate from the top of the windshield, I today applied clear scotch tape across the full width of the windshield to cover the area where the rubber seal touches the glass. In other words the lower half of the tape was on the glass surface and the upper half was stuck to the rubber seal.

The very clear result was no more wind noise from the upper area of the windshield. Obviously I am not going to leave this in place and I will need to come up with a permanent fix. I guess options are to glue the rubber seal to the glass or to use a thin strip of clear "bra" as someone else referenced in another post.

I took the car up to 70 mph on the highway and the only remaining wind noise is a very faint noise from the door mirrors. I verified this by folding them in while driving at 70 mph and the noise increases significantly but from the same area.
Old 08-03-10, 03:46 PM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's not a cure, more like a band-aid. Sorta like dating a supermodel who hasn't taken off the dressings from her plastic surgery.

All kidding aside, there's gotta be a better solution. At least you've pinpointed the problem areas. As I recall, there were several other threads on the subject here in the 430 forum. Also, suggest you check out the LS460 forum where the wind noise problem has been discussed in much more depth due to it being more obvious in the 460 right out of the box.

Good luck -

Will and the Fur Crew

Last edited by mewhee; 08-03-10 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-03-10, 06:25 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by anniversar
After reading the posts on the LS 430 wind noise that appears to originate from the top of the windshield, I today applied clear scotch tape across the full width of the windshield to cover the area where the rubber seal touches the glass. In other words the lower half of the tape was on the glass surface and the upper half was stuck to the rubber seal.

The very clear result was no more wind noise from the upper area of the windshield. Obviously I am not going to leave this in place and I will need to come up with a permanent fix. I guess options are to glue the rubber seal to the glass or to use a thin strip of clear "bra" as someone else referenced in another post.

I took the car up to 70 mph on the highway and the only remaining wind noise is a very faint noise from the door mirrors. I verified this by folding them in while driving at 70 mph and the noise increases significantly but from the same area.
Sounds like you've found the source of your wind noise. I don't hear any wind noise in my 04 UL. I just looked at my windshield and found that the rubber molding at the top of the windshield is easily raised from the glass by hand. It is not a glued or tight fit, meaning that the seal is not at that surface but probably at either the top of or the back side of the glass. Consequently, I don't know how effective it would be to try to seal this surface where it contacts the glass visibly on the exterior surface.

If you can solve it there, then it might be that lifting and injecting a bead of clear silicon to seal it might work. Of course this would require a bit of detail work in cleaning up the excess as you go along.

Just my observation and opinion.
Old 08-03-10, 08:09 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Sounds like a good experimental fix. I honestly have never noticed any wind noise in my car at all. Is this loose windshield trim deal something that would happen to every LS430 by design or just to some with loose trim? My car is dead quiet at speed, but since I'm 55 and have played guitar a lot of that time, I also assume my hearing is not what it used to be.
Old 08-04-10, 05:47 PM
SerasLibre
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before buying my LS I test drove 3 others, and ALL of them, including the one I purchased, had the upper windshield noise. This is the only wind noise that is audible in the car (at least to me) at highway speeds. I'll confess I was a little disappointed at this, but this is still one of the quietest cars ever sold, so typical noises you wont hear in other cars may be more audible in the LS (because everything else is dead quiet). I'd definitely be interested in a permanent fix if anyone finds one.
Old 08-04-10, 10:10 PM
JemmyTran
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i first purchased my LS I did not have any wind noise. Just about 1 year ago i started hearing it but not its getting pretty annoying. My window is crack and got lexus to replace it for me but still having this wind noise. Am i having the same problem you guys?
Old 08-05-10, 08:19 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

I would slowly remove the tape until you find the location of air infiltration,, buy some clear silicone of high quality clear caulk, lift the rubber and load that area,, wipe clean and no one should ever know it was concern,,

thanks for the tip on how to determine if it is in that area,,

Derry
Old 08-05-10, 02:30 PM
brio_ls
Rookie

Originally Posted by JemmyTran
when i first purchased my LS I did not have any wind noise. Just about 1 year ago i started hearing it but not its getting pretty annoying. My window is crack and got lexus to replace it for me but still having this wind noise. Am i having the same problem you guys?
You're not alone :P

I bought my LS with a cracked windshield, which was producing terrible wind noise. After replacing it with an OEM one, the noise is almost gone, but i can still hear it comming from the top of the window. I spoke with a friend who works for an auto glass shop and he told me, that the only one solution is to deafen the windshield from inside after removing both pillar covers, rear view mirror and sunglass holder :O
Old 10-19-10, 11:12 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I permatexed the top trim piece to the windshield and it made the noise go away. Cheap, bu a little messy. CLEAN UP IMMEDIATELY. Mine came out perfectly!
Old 10-19-10, 03:31 PM
User 82021
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
I permatexed the top trim piece to the windshield and it made the noise go away. Cheap, bu a little messy. CLEAN UP IMMEDIATELY. Mine came out perfectly!
there is a similar problem with this on the 05 to current tacomas, there is a tsb to glue that strip to the windshield. on the tacomas it sounds like a harmonica when you get cross wind across the windshield.
Old 10-19-10, 03:44 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I think running a medium thin bead of silicon under the rubber seal would do the trick nicely. I suggest letting it cure overnight before you take it out for a test drive.
Old 10-20-10, 09:43 PM
Twix
Pole Position

Can someone post a pic where do you stick the tape (I have only a vague idea, but...)...
Just any little pic please
The following users liked this post:
aypues (10-27-20)
Old 10-21-10, 03:02 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

no pic, but you place the tape right at the seam where the black rubber edge of the chrome trim rests on the top of the windshield. You will be able to tell just be using some masking tape along the whole edge of the area described above and going for a ride on the highway. if you car is quieter with the tape, just go to the auto parts store and carfully use permatex, (black goo) and inject it in the cavity that you will expose once you GENTLY lift the trim. Press the trim piece down until the goo seeps out. wipe the excess goo. Make sure you have a lot of damp paper towels to clean up the mess. It's a PITA, but takes about 20 minutes (and I'm pretty ocd with my car) and it is worth the time.
The following users liked this post:
aypues (09-30-22)
Old 10-21-10, 10:32 PM
Twix
Pole Position

Ok, thanks...I'll try not to mess up
Old 06-18-12, 04:51 PM
schack
Driver School Candidate

This isn't about wind noise from the windshield area but from the side windows. On my 2001 LS430 UL and now on my 2004 LS430 UL I have noticed the following: If the side windows are completely up (ie. as tight as they will go) they make slightly more wind noise than if I release them just a little. I do this by pushing the window switch just enough to relax the window in its seal, but not enough to open it. It's only a slight difference and it's hard to tell especially under noisy pavement or very windy conditions. Seems like its more noticeable on the front and rear drivers side windows but that may be just because I'm closer to them. Curious to know if anyone else has noticed this, and if so why does it occur?

Quick Reply: Wind Noise Cured for 10 cents!