LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

personal dilemma on car options

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-10, 10:32 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default personal dilemma on car options

i have a personal delima though that is starting to creep up occasionally. this delima is what ultimately caused me to sell my last lex hobby project (99 gs400) and start over on an 05 ls430UL. i have fallen in love with a new car, the s63 AMG. i have not fallen out of love with my present LS which is what eventually started to happen with my previous GS, so thus far i am still very content with my present car. however the amg is way out of my price range presently. with that being said i can afford a lesser 08+ S class (s550) which is the same body style just minus the awesome performance aspect. i really want to make my next project the 08+ S class I would just prefer it to be the AMG one. i am half tempted to start the process of selling my LS430 and getting into an S550 or I could wait a year or two and try to get an AMG version if i'm lucky.

i reached a point with my previous GS that i stopped spending money on new mods and after about 6 months of this it led me to get bored and sell it only to start over on a ls430. it all started by me researching what an LS430 could look like with mods and eventually it was all i could think about every time i drove the GS. well in the last few weeks i have been looking up mods for the 08+S and now i'm starting to daydream about what it would look like in my parking spot...

anyone else on a similar page with this? anyone else figured out how to quell this feeling? since i am still doing small mods here and there and still researching and have plans for my ls430 i think there is definitely still hope for this car, and like i said i still have much love for my LS just that i'm starting to look at other women, i mean cars now...
Old 08-06-10, 10:52 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Too much

I've never really been a car jumper. I've had my Integra since '92, I had my Civic for 10 years and put on over 250K on her. My RX don't really have a feeling to get rid of it to "upgrade" to the newer RX.

To me, the LS is the "ultimate" in terms of total package for a luxury cruiser. It's plush and luxurious all the time, has growl when need be, and is, as we all know, super reliable. It's like being married to a woman you fell in love with. Over time, you grow old together and things come up and change, but are you then going to jump to a newer woman just to see if she's better?

Yes, the S-550 is going to out perform the LS430 in raw track numbers. The S will merge a little faster into traffic, it will have slightly better pic up, corner better if you feel like blasting into an exit. You'll probably feel more "prestigious" if that's your cup of tea. With all these good performance is going to be the harsher ride ALL THE TIME. This is why I say the LS give you luxury all the time and can growl when needed for those 10% (or less) of the time when you need it to be aggressive. With the S, what? You'll have a great car for the 5% you want to have fun, but then a harsh vehicle for the remaining 95% that you're stuck in traffic or going over rough roads on the interstate.

All this not to even mention the debatable/questionable improvement in MB's reliability and quality.
Old 08-06-10, 11:45 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Um, I can relate, Sojah. In the past 10 years, I've gone through:

- 8 daily / winter drivers

- 3 summer cars

- 1 chore truck.

My goal with the LS was to stop the revolving door of daily drivers by buying the best vehicle to meet our long term needs. We'll see how successful I am, since it's only been 6 months with the LS. My daily driver car lust hasn't wandered elsewhere, yet.
Old 08-06-10, 11:58 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

sojah,
why not put some more effort into your ride? Add a supercharger or some other engine modification to boost HP. And, why not spend a few grand on a great looking body kit. I think those 2 things will set your car apart and should give you plenty to talk about/enjoy.

Slap on a Wald Exec body kit with cut fenders. http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=693 and a nice Tom's Supercharger http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=338
Old 08-06-10, 01:59 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

for the price of the 2 items you mentioned i could almost afford an AMG if you added that to the 40k the car would cost.

but seriously though if it were the amg i would upgrade but not so much at this time for the non amg. i'm not sure if you guys have seen an 08+S with a body kit, rims, tint, and lowered but our LS doesn't even begin to compete. on the reliability side however i'm pretty sure we take the prize.

in regards to harshness i am on coilovers and low-pros right now so the stock S ride would be much softer and luxurious than my present ride. since my current styling is similar to the previous S class i almost look at the next S class as my present look's successor in terms of styling, not the LS460. i guess i gotta wait another year and see where the s63's are at time in terms of price. worst case i get a used s550 for even less at that time and have more left over for kits and rims.

in terms of putting a kit on my car the wald executive was and has been my first choice for the last 2 years now other than the k-break one that is a little more on the extreme and expensive side but that would require upgrading to 20's over my current 19's since i don't have enough clearance presently to be able to even add a kit and still make it into my neighborhood.
Old 08-06-10, 02:37 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DDLexus
sojah,
why not put some more effort into your ride? Add a supercharger or some other engine modification to boost HP. And, why not spend a few grand on a great looking body kit. I think those 2 things will set your car apart and should give you plenty to talk about/enjoy.

Slap on a Wald Exec body kit with cut fenders. http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=693 and a nice Tom's Supercharger http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=338

Did you see the price of that supercharger

Our Price $17312.72
Retail Price $19236.36

No disrespect but I have to say I am glad I don't get bored as quickly with my cars.
Old 08-06-10, 02:45 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

that supercharger is not a normal price or a normal item. i can only imagine like 1 or 2 must exist in real life. A completely custom one off turbo kit would be more efficient, more effective, and a lot cheaper.
Old 08-06-10, 03:30 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would hold onto what you got and wait for the price of the S63 to fall. Your car will depreciate a lot less than an S63. AMG's hold very poor residual resale value, so you should be able get a good deal on one in another 12-24 months. The problem you will run into is that as soon as your buy the S63, the all-new S class will be ready to hit the streets around 2012-2013. That means that your car (S63) will take a major depreciation hit as soon as the new body arrives. It is already outdated now because of the current year (2010) face-lift.
Old 08-06-10, 03:41 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

I doubt that anyone can really help (influence) you on what you want to do. I think a person goes thru a period of spending a lot of time thinking about the object of their desires. The more you think of it, the more you think you have to have it. Call it rationalization, love, whatever, it's purely up to you what you think. You'll probably really have to fight this desire to overcome it.

Wishing you the best.
Old 08-06-10, 05:13 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

^^^ i agree, hopefully i can make the sane decision to wait at least 12-24 months like mentioned till the new models come out and the 08 ones come down a lot in price.
Old 08-06-10, 05:14 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
... You'll probably really have to fight this desire to overcome it.
Hmm, that certainly can be read two ways.
Old 08-06-10, 05:15 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sojah
that supercharger is not a normal price or a normal item. i can only imagine like 1 or 2 must exist in real life. A completely custom one off turbo kit would be more efficient, more effective, and a lot cheaper.
Lol...with that type of money you could get a really clean LS430!

I agree with miniz and Jayclapp.
Old 08-06-10, 08:10 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sojah, you sound like a man ready to jump no matter what. If you find a good S550 at the right price now... go for it. I guess give it a try and worse comes to worse if you don't like it either or you're missing your LS, you can always come back home. We won't penalize you for being unfaithful...
Old 08-06-10, 08:29 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I remind myself that cars are depreciating assets so I am careful to not go overboard. Humans have infinite wants for material things but more new and shiny stuff never stops the wanting for long...mostly because as humans our material wants are actually a symptom of a far greater and deeper emotional need that can never be satisfied by stuff like new cars.

If I had any debts at all (other than very small mortgage on a appreciating asset) I'd be driving a 10 year old Corolla until the debts were 100% gone.
But if your nice and solid in the finance department, and you have "fun money" in the budget to play with...then I say go for what will make you happy - life is way too short.
Old 08-06-10, 08:41 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

To quell the $$ outlay. Total the car mods and imagine what that would have bought in terms of a long term durable like house/town home/condo and associated interior fixings like furniture... OTOH, I know some who have spent lots and lots on cars and mods. If it brings enjoyment and $$ not an issue. Life is meant to be enjoyed.

I'm far more modest so the $$ have gone toward house stuffs. When I look at a VIP rag, I see the kitchen remodel-'05 or '06 LS-430, landscaping-wheels, block wall-suspension, paint and stucco along with some electrical work-body kit. Although I'm not a body kit level modder that same $ would get us a 10-14 day trip to Japan.

Specifically, unless you are really bored of the LS, I'd keep it and have fun with it. The insurance on say the AMG would probably be a good jump from an LS.

Quick Reply: personal dilemma on car options