LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS is one Fast Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-10, 07:48 AM
chris81964
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool LS is one Fast Car

Early this morning (2:30am) I was passed by a wanna be a racer in a tuned noisy civic. Being your typical older competitive male, I could not let this act stand. Slowly eased up to 80, 90, 100 at 110 the civic starts to weave going around turns. Now I knew I had him where I wanted him. I lost him at over 120. Feeling sorry for him I slowed down and waited for him to catch up.
He pulled up and gave me the thumbs up
All my wife could say was "why are you encouraging him".

My response? "I wanted him to know I was faster".
So for you tuned civic drivers out there. We might not take turns as tightly but in a straight line we eat your lunch.

Can't wait to fix my bad shock.
Old 08-08-10, 11:44 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not "fast" buy 2011 standards, but it's no slouch.

As far as racing... I have been known to put the pedal down if needed to, all I'm saying.
Old 08-08-10, 12:13 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chris81964
Early this morning (2:30am) I was passed by a wanna be a racer in a tuned noisy civic. Being your typical older competitive male, I could not let this act stand. Slowly eased up to 80, 90, 100 at 110 the civic starts to weave going around turns. Now I knew I had him where I wanted him. I lost him at over 120. Feeling sorry for him I slowed down and waited for him to catch up.
He pulled up and gave me the thumbs up
All my wife could say was "why are you encouraging him".

My response? "I wanted him to know I was faster".
So for you tuned civic drivers out there. We might not take turns as tightly but in a straight line we eat your lunch.

Can't wait to fix my bad shock.
Slower people might frown upon what you did. I have only one thing to say ...bravo bravo

Give Mr.Souped up Civic a run for his money. Give him something to aspire to..lol.

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
It's not "fast" buy 2011 standards, but it's no slouch.

As far as racing... I have been known to put the pedal down if needed to, all I'm saying.
When you say by today's standards ...which cars are you comparing it to?
Old 08-08-10, 12:28 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexuslspro
Slower people might frown upon what you did. I have only one thing to say ...bravo bravo

Give Mr.Souped up Civic a run for his money. Give him something to aspire to..lol.

It's just not out of the ordinary to find a new car that will go 0-60 in 6.3 seconds. I'm not comparing it to a Corolla or anything, but even a New V6 Camry will outrun the LS430.

If we go back to 1998 when the first LS400 sprinted to 60 in 5.9 Seconds... THAT was fast for it's time. I clocked my 99 LS400 hitting 60mph in 5.7 seconds with J-Brady's Muffler and Air intake Modification. If you are unfamiliar with it, you can search for it in the LS400 forum.

Last edited by TJW98LS; 08-08-10 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-08-10, 12:43 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

I'm glad you brought up the Camry. They do seem to always be going quite fast on the freeway.

Now I know why.
Old 08-08-10, 12:48 PM
chris81964
Driver

Originally Posted by lexuslspro

By any standards any car that can hit 120 is fast. Faster when it can do it as fast as the LS can. Thanks for the messages. I enjoy driving the car slow once in a while. What I enjoy most is the look on the face of the boy racer as I wave when I pass them.
Old 08-08-10, 01:17 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

By any standards any car that can hit 120 is fast. Faster when it can do it as fast as the LS can. Thanks for the messages. I enjoy driving the car slow once in a while. What I enjoy most is the look on the face of the boy racer as I wave when I pass them.
"Fast" is just one of those words that is subjective. The LS430 is fast to some, but I only think of it as quick. I've found that alot of those racer boys with slow cars will rev at anything... but those with STI's and Cobras rarely race their cars on the street.
Old 08-08-10, 06:35 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
It's just not out of the ordinary to find a new car that will go 0-60 in 6.3 seconds. I'm not comparing it to a Corolla or anything, but even a New V6 Camry will outrun the LS430...
That 6.3s is for the '01-'03, the 6-speed '04-'06 is 5.9s. and most Camrys you'll find on the road are the I4 and they run a mid/lower-range 7.8s or so.

The LS430 is too heavy to be considered a "fast car"... it's quick, but it's not track material. (although people have taken it to the track on Youtube)
Old 08-08-10, 07:10 PM
lnguyenh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took a V8 over 120mph to pass the I4 civic and you said the LS was fast ... you have a very low standard :-)
Old 08-08-10, 07:28 PM
chris81964
Driver

Originally Posted by lnguyenh
Took a V8 over 120mph to pass the I4 civic and you said the LS was fast ... you have a very low standard :-)
Maybe you should read the entire thread again. There are tuned civics out there that make over 300 hp. A friend had one. Some in this forum will attest to 6 cylinder Supra's that reliably make 1000+ hp. V8 vs I4 is not what my commentary is about.
Old 08-08-10, 07:31 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

... you have a very low standard :-)
Insults are not welcome.
Old 08-08-10, 07:34 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fast????

???? hem? I don't get it. What does the 120mph have anything to do with fast relative to the Civic?

I'm sure whatever speed the OP was when the Civic first passed, the LS caught up very fast as passed all the way up to 120 mph.

I had a '95, not all mod' up or anything, it was pretty much stock except for air intakes, but I maxed at 110 abouts and I only went that speed twice and it felt like my wheels were going to fly off. Integra and LS at 100 mph are another story.
Old 08-08-10, 08:22 PM
lnguyenh
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you should read the entire thread again. There are tuned civics out there that make over 300 hp. A friend had one. Some in this forum will attest to 6 cylinder Supra's that reliably make 1000+ hp. V8 vs I4 is not what my commentary is about.
Did the civic you beat have 300 hp? Now if you can beat a 300 hp, your LS is a fast car.

And for the record, I didn't insult you (or didn't mean to).

Boy a lot people sure get worked up over internet comments LOL. Maybe it's just me but somehow it sounds weird hearing an LS430 owner saying something like ... I beat a civic, a tuned civic, any civic.
Old 08-08-10, 08:37 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

My mother's camry will start to feel a tad squirly above 75. It doesn't have the rock-solid stability of the LS. The worst car I've ever driven is the Ford Focus...the steering is extremely sensitive to bumps in the road. At 70mph, if your left front wheel hits a small bump/imperfection, the car will veer to the right and vice-versa. It makes driving downright dangerous. OTOH, most cars I've driven, even basic honda civics, will continue to track straight in those road conditions. I'm surprised there's not a recall on the Focus steering. It's an accident waiting to happen. PS: at 75-80mph, the Focus only gets 30mpg compared to the LS's 27.5mpg.
Old 08-09-10, 04:46 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
My mother's camry will start to feel a tad squirly above 75. It doesn't have the rock-solid stability of the LS. The worst car I've ever driven is the Ford Focus...the steering is extremely sensitive to bumps in the road. At 70mph, if your left front wheel hits a small bump/imperfection, the car will veer to the right and vice-versa. It makes driving downright dangerous. OTOH, most cars I've driven, even basic honda civics, will continue to track straight in those road conditions. I'm surprised there's not a recall on the Focus steering. It's an accident waiting to happen. PS: at 75-80mph, the Focus only gets 30mpg compared to the LS's 27.5mpg.
I always wondered why people who drove the Ford Focus were terrible drivers. That explains it.

Quick Reply: LS is one Fast Car