LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Considering a LS430, please give me your input!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-10, 04:55 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The key features of the CL (and also UL) that I focused on or have learned to appreciate:

- Semi-aniline black leather (this was almost a must-have for me)
- Additional leather trim
- Antique walnut trim
- Suede headliner (seems to make the interior feel more hushed)
- Power door closers (I miss this when I lightly close the door on any other vehicle and it doesn't pull closed)
- Adaptive cruise (awesome)

Since I didn't want the air suspension or back seat features (and resulting smaller trunk), I focused on finding a CL.
Old 08-25-10, 06:12 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
The key features of the CL (and also UL) that I focused on or have learned to appreciate:

- Semi-aniline black leather (this was almost a must-have for me)
- Additional leather trim
- Antique walnut trim
- Suede headliner (seems to make the interior feel more hushed)
- Power door closers (I miss this when I lightly close the door on any other vehicle and it doesn't pull closed)
- Adaptive cruise (awesome)

Since I didn't want the air suspension or back seat features (and resulting smaller trunk), I focused on finding a CL.
Yeah CL is definitely sweet. Hard to find one though, and to be honest I probably won't really need any of those features. This car is already MUCH MUCH better than anything I thought I would ever have at this age. The 430 nicely falls into my price range. ML is all I really need, the nav gives me bluetooth and gives my parents a backup cam if they ever drive (they're incompetent at parking lol). Heated rear seats are also a nice touch, especially if I take my parents or grandparents anywhere in the winter time (yeah I know it's on premium already). Heated and cooled front seats are pretty badass. Man I am so excited!!! Whooo!
Old 08-25-10, 06:48 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Did you sell the BMW? Did you see these cars?

Here is a moonlight pearl premium in Kzoo:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

Here is a silver / gray ML in Cleveland:

Old 08-25-10, 07:10 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Here is the moonlight pearl one again, on the dealer website. (The interior appears to be ash rather than the listed cashmere.) Check the car fax as it's a Georgia car. I would see if they are flexible on price and look at it hard. If the only reason you want ML over premium is the bluetooth, I think there are aftermarket bluetooth solutions that are superior to the Lexus factory implementation.

http://www.haroldzeigler.com/used/Le...d1e35d99a6.htm
Old 08-25-10, 10:10 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 344 Likes on 262 Posts

Wait for the right one. As for price, make your best deal and don't regret it ever. It's your car and we all know depreciation is imminent. Patience is a virtue. As for year, the 2002 has smaller wheels, no rear camera view, no 5 star wheels, no keyless entry/engine start. Great car, but 2005/2006 added those features. My 2 cents worth.
Old 08-25-10, 12:36 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Did you sell the BMW? Did you see these cars?

Here is a moonlight pearl premium in Kzoo:

Here is a silver / gray ML in Cleveland:

The white one in Kzoo looks decent. The silver one in Cleveland was actually my initial first choice...until I did some research on the dealer itself. I looked up Finest Motors in Cleveland on google and found multiple terrible ratings. One guy was about to buy a Lexus IS, but found out that the car had been in a severe crash with frame damage but the dealer did not disclose the info. Dishonesty like that will not bring me into their showrooms.

As for regrets, the only one I will have is if I miss out on my chance to get one of these beauties

EDIT: @ Caddyowner: Yes, the BMW has been sold for a relatively reasonable price (though I did take a decent loss) through private sale. Enough to allow me to shop in the 25k range.
Old 08-25-10, 12:43 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

@Caddyowner: I just did a quick search of the white one in Kzoo. Car came up clean accident wise, but according to lexus service, it has yet to have anything beyond a 25k service, and the car is at 52k already. The car may be fine, but this tells me that the prev owner did not take great care of the car. Being out of warranty especially, I can see the chance of pricey repairs down the road due to improper/infrequent service. Plus, I have a pretty clean on waiting for me for 25.5k with warranty (as the guy stands). Thanks for the suggestion though, I do appreciate you looking out for me
Old 08-25-10, 01:04 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

I found an 04, ML, flint mica, only 25k miles. Looks very clean with a decent service history record. Might stop by there too...
Here is the link, please let me know what you think!
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 08-25-10, 01:06 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
Great car, but 2005/2006 added those features. My 2 cents worth.
'04 was the first year for all of that.
Old 08-25-10, 01:13 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
I found an 04, ML, flint mica, only 25k miles. Looks very clean with a decent service history record. Might stop by there too...
Here is the link, please let me know what you think!
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
I like that color AND those miles substantially better than the silver one. Personally I think the mileage on the flint mica means more to me than the year on the silver one all other things being equal. Years down the road the lower mile car will always garner more interest from potential buyers than a couple of model years difference, especially when nothing of consequence even changed in that timespan. Another thing to consider: this puts you much further away from the timing belt replacement maintenance. You will have to add the 5 spokes though.

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 08-25-10 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-25-10, 02:04 PM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Flint Mica looks terrific and extremely desirable. I know it puts a monkey wrench in your search but both the mileage and price make it one tempting deal.

As you know, some deals are almost too good to be true so look for skeletons in the closet on this one

Will and the Fur Crew
Old 08-25-10, 02:05 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
I like that color AND those miles substantially better than the silver one. Personally I think the mileage on the flint mica means more to me than the year on the silver one all other things being equal. Years down the road the lower mile car will always garner more interest from potential buyers than a couple of model years difference, especially when nothing of consequence even changed in that timespan. Another thing to consider: this puts you much further away from the timing belt replacement maintenance. You will have to add the 5 spokes though.
Yeah I am going to try my best to get my parents to stop by there. It's then about 1.5 hrs away from Indiana. I plan on driving both and making my decision at the end. The paint on that flint mica looks sooo fresh *drools*. I really am leaning more towards the 04 one at this point. It has everything I want, plus it's probably in better condition too. Like you said, I just need a nice set of 5 spokes and I'm set. We shall see
Old 08-25-10, 02:06 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mewhee
The Flint Mica looks terrific and extremely desirable. I know it puts a monkey wrench in your search but both the mileage and price make it one tempting deal.

As you know, some deals are almost too good to be true so look for skeletons in the closet on this one

Will and the Fur Crew
Yeah definitely. I search the Lexus service records and it has everything done including the 25k mile service
Car was only driven 4k miles/yr so probably by someone who is retired or works at home. Car fax didn't pull up any accidents. Will run an autocheck too.
Old 08-25-10, 02:34 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

The 04 has the same color scheme as mine. Be sure any 04 TSBs have been done -specificially the trans and fuel fill tube. If the fuel fill TSB hasn't been done, ask to put gas in the car on the test drive. If the gas pump keeps clicking off when on full flow and you can't get it to work well after moving the nozzle around, it needs the TSB. Not all cars have the problem.
Old 08-25-10, 03:08 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

The 04 has the same color scheme as mine. Be sure any 04 TSBs have been done -specificially the trans and fuel fill tube. If the fuel fill TSB hasn't been done, ask to put gas in the car on the test drive. If the gas pump keeps clicking off when on full flow and you can't get it to work well after moving the nozzle around, it needs the TSB. Not all cars have the problem.
Can you give some clarification on the trans TSB? I searched a record of TSBs for MY 2004 LS430 vehicles and only came up with a TSB related to Solenoid identification, another for no longer checking fluid levels, and another related to something else.

The only thing I did find of consequence was a transmission RECALL for 13,000 2004 LS430s built between July 2003 and January 2004 as detailed in this PDF:

http://NHTHQNWWS111.ODI.NHTSA.DOT.GO...4V317-1236.pdf

Quick Reply: Considering a LS430, please give me your input!