LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Considering a LS430, please give me your input!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-12, 03:38 PM
New2this
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Hey everyone,
I currently have a 2007 BMW 328i sedan with a 6MT. I love the car, but I think it might be time for a change. I have always liked the 430 a lot and confirmed that by test driving one today. The car I drove was a 2004, pretty basic (no nav), and had 109k miles on it. Despite the high mileage, it drove like a brand new car without squeaks or rattles (felt better than my current 3, no joke). I would be looking for something with lower miles.

Now, I have been reading everywhere online and everyone has had a lot of good things to say. I want to ask everyone here, what do you guys think of your 430s, pros and cons. Also, what are some problem areas? I am not too concerned with electrics (though the Japanese are a whiz at making them reliable), but more so with mechanical items (engine, transmission, etc). The cars I am looking at will be without warranty, I would like to have it around $25k so I don't lose too much from my 3.

One final question, do the 430s with the sport pack have air suspension? I am trying to avoid air suspension as it could mean $$ down the road. The one I'm eyeing is a silver 2005, sport and nav (if someone could tell me what that also comes with that would be much appreciated as well) and 54k miles selling for $26k.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing everyone's input. This seems like a great forum with a lot of good, helpful members!
We live in WA state and have a LS430, 2002, 61K miles, with NAVI, light interior, soft green exterior, excellent condition, original owners. Asking $23,000.
Old 08-26-12, 04:49 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by New2this
We live in WA state and have a LS430, 2002, 61K miles, with NAVI, light interior, soft green exterior, excellent condition, original owners. Asking $23,000.
Haha I actually picked up my 430 more than 2 yrs ago (still lovin it btw!). Good to see my old thread back from the dead lol. Good luck with your sale man, post it in the classified section with pics.
Old 08-26-12, 07:44 PM
wilfra
Driver School Candidate

Hey everyone,
I currently have a 2007 BMW 328i sedan with a 6MT. I love the car, but I think it might be time for a change. I have always liked the 430 a lot and confirmed that by test driving one today. The car I drove was a 2004, pretty basic (no nav), and had 109k miles on it. Despite the high mileage, it drove like a brand new car without squeaks or rattles (felt better than my current 3, no joke). I would be looking for something with lower miles.

Now, I have been reading everywhere online and everyone has had a lot of good things to say. I want to ask everyone here, what do you guys think of your 430s, pros and cons. Also, what are some problem areas? I am not too concerned with electrics (though the Japanese are a whiz at making them reliable), but more so with mechanical items (engine, transmission, etc). The cars I am looking at will be without warranty, I would like to have it around $25k so I don't lose too much from my 3.

One final question, do the 430s with the sport pack have air suspension? I am trying to avoid air suspension as it could mean $$ down the road. The one I'm eyeing is a silver 2005, sport and nav (if someone could tell me what that also comes with that would be much appreciated as well) and 54k miles selling for $26k.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing everyone's input. This seems like a great forum with a lot of good, helpful members!
I bought my first used 2001 LS 430 a year ago. I wife and I love it so much that we bought a 2nd one - 2003 LS430 in July. Go for it! You'll love it!!
Old 10-11-12, 09:36 AM
New2this
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wilfra
I bought my first used 2001 LS 430 a year ago. I wife and I love it so much that we bought a 2nd one - 2003 LS430 in July. Go for it! You'll love it!!
Our 2002 LS430 has the Luxury Package (no sport). Mint condition. Now asking 19,000 at 63,000miles. Original owner, all maint records. Can't post pics on here but can through external email if interested.
Old 10-11-12, 10:54 AM
redvette33
10th Gear

What is considered high mileage for these cars. I'm looking at a 2005 LS 430 U L with 121,000 miles. It was mostly driven from New York to Florida and back from the original owner who sold it to his son. It has excellent service records. I need to get out of my Pacifica
Old 10-12-12, 03:51 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by redvette33
What is considered high mileage for these cars. I'm looking at a 2005 LS 430 U L with 121,000 miles. It was mostly driven from New York to Florida and back from the original owner who sold it to his son. It has excellent service records. I need to get out of my Pacifica
I'd say 150,000 miles would be high for an LS. I got mine a few months ago with 89,300 miles on it and it's been fine so far.

If it's your ideal color and you want the Ultra Luxury package then go for it.
Old 10-12-12, 06:15 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

It really depends on the city hwy miles, care and maintenance done etc. My LS has 180k all hwy miles no oil use really still pretty damn good shape. I have driven others with 120k I would not compare to mine or buy.
Old 10-12-12, 10:16 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The first 430 I test drove had 115k mi on it and it ran flawlessly. Very tight and solid feeling, which is what convinced me to go for one. After a few months of looking I found one with 25k mi on it. Have 48k right now and she's still running like a dream. Other than routine visits, absolutely nothing has gone wrong. No one believes me that the car is 8 yrs old haha.
Old 10-15-12, 06:49 AM
oxonian007
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update:

My friend and I have identical (except for color) 2004 Modern Luxury cars without sport package. Mine has 68k and his has 130k. Here's a roundup of what we've repaired, apart from brakes and tires:

(1) Fogged headlight lenses (his)
(2) Driver door Mark Levinson speaker (mine)
(3) Climate control servo - passenger side (mine)
(4) Arm rest cover (his - depending on individual habits, this can happen early)
(5) Driver seat cusion (his - the leather didn't crack, but the surface did lose color, which can happen with any car)

Pending repair:

(1) Cracked wood trim on door and steering wheel due to parking outside (his)
(2) Mark Levinson amplifier (his - I think that's what failed, but it's a second car at this point so he hasn't bothered)

I will add that this friend has owned many, many high end cars, including the first ML500 Benz, 3 S class sedans, multiple Cadillacs, 2 Volvos, and a Range Rover that broke down after 2 weeks. He openly states that he would never go back to a Benz or Volvo; the Range Rover is a non starter. It's all about Cadillac and Lexus.
Old 10-15-12, 09:28 AM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by New2this
Our 2002 LS430 has the Luxury Package (no sport). Mint condition. Now asking 19,000 at 63,000miles. Original owner, all maint records. Can't post pics on here but can through external email if interested.

Based on the market, i'd say your car is still overpriced by about 4K.
Old 10-17-12, 12:57 PM
wilfra
Driver School Candidate

Hey everyone,

I've now had my 2001 LS430 for 15 months without any problems at all. Started out with 85,000 miles and it now has 96,000 miles. Smooth and tight as ever.

I've had my 2003 LS430 for 3 months. Again, no problems at all. Of course, it only had 27,000 miles on it when I bought it so that's what I'd expect for sure.

If I needed a 3rd car I'd be shopping for an LS430, and nothing else. The only thing to watch for is the timing belt replacement. It should be done no later than 90,000 miles without fail. Just to much risk if it breaks. I got mine done on my '01, including new water pump and idlers, for $800 at a reliable privately owned shop here in Lubbock, Texas.

Do not hesitate to consider the LS430 if you want quiet ride and plenty of power. There are some great ones out there.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-18-12, 04:24 AM
sajack
Advanced

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

I/we have owned about 60 vehicles over the years. We were driving past a local car lot this past June and noticed an LS430, turned around, went back, drove it, loved it, bought it. Our car was in super clean condition, especially the interior. It did not appear to have been detailed. I'm sort of a nut job when it comes to evaluating cars.
I talked to the previous owner and that conversation sealed the decision to buy. Our 2002 LS had 77,000 miles and a very clean maintenance record. I have always loved these cars, especially considering the glowing test reports from the media.
This car drives as new with absolutely no issues whatsoever. It still amazes me everytime I drive it. The LS430s are "tanks", very overdesigned cars with one mission in mind, to be the best luxury cars in the world. The even now 10 year old materials and design and quality amaze me. Many of today's new cars have adopted some of the LS's construction details, but few, even luxury cars, can surpass the 2001-2006 Lexus flagship's materials and build.
The sound of that beautiful engine at "full chat" is music to my ears. Performance is astounding.
We do not have the air suspension. It is probably the only thing I would avoid when purchasing an older Lexus, not because of its design, just due to normal, probably very expensive maintenance one might encounter.
I also prefer the classic lines of these cars to the trendy styling of the 460s. I would not be surprised to see a return to the 430's lines in some models in the future.
Old 10-22-12, 05:59 AM
gdigio13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redvette33
Hey redevette- I see your post is almost two weeks old. If you haven't already made a purchase, 121k is just fine, in my opinion its low miles as long as the car is well kept. I would have a body shop check to confirm that its original paint and a mechanic to give it a quick look. When I first posted on this thread over a year ago I had 152k miles on my 2001. I now have 165k and there hasn't been a single problem in that time. I also have a friend who finally broke the 300k mark in his. He has repairs from time to time but nothing too major. Not sure what part of florida you are in but you should be able to find former toyota/ lexus mechanics who now have their own shops that can repair the car for a fraction of dealer cost. If you or anyone else wants to PM me, I have a mechanic in the clearwater area that is great. Good luck!
Old 10-26-12, 02:56 AM
flyman
Driver School Candidate

hi i have the 05 ls sport with 119 mil look bro no proboems get it u well be glad
Old 10-31-12, 02:13 PM
Royal12
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased a 2006 LS430 last month with only 24,554 miles on it. All black and in wonderful shape. Modern Luxury option with NAV. After a month of driving I feel this is the best car I have ever driven. Very happy I bought it.

Quick Reply: Considering a LS430, please give me your input!