LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Considering a LS430, please give me your input!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-10, 11:39 AM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be very wary of the dark side...CaddyOwner is spot on!
Old 08-19-10, 12:52 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hehe you guys took it better than I thought. My account is still working! Yeah the Genesis was just a thought. I think it still needs a generation or two before it can seriously compete with the LS/S/7/A8 league. That, and they are on the high side of price and I doubt dealers will go down much. The one I emailed still hasn't gotten back to me, while the Lexus dealers and calling me everyday and trying to meet all my very demanding (and OCD lol) needs.

As it stands, that one I posted in Merrillville is still #1. I saw another very nice one, but price was too high at 32.5k. Guy said they were going to have a sale at 28.5, but still wayyy too much for just 9k mi of difference. Still, I might trip out there for one day just to take a look. They do have a nice 04 in silver, might have a look at that instead.
Old 08-19-10, 01:06 PM
vollandt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
but price was too high at 32.5k. .
yea, at 32.5 you are a stones throw from an LS460.
Old 08-19-10, 01:17 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vollandt
Good point. I see high mile ones go for 35k. I still don't really like it that much (430 is much cleaner, what were they thinking with that goofy wide slab of chrome down bottom of the doors??). Honestly, if 35k were my price range (and I were still looking at luxury), I would thinking BMW 750i (I love the slightly older ones around 06,07).
Old 08-19-10, 03:28 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vollandt
Although that doesn't particularly matter since the LS430 is FAR more than a stone's throw from the 460 in the quality department. So many other things I'd prefer to drive than a 460, including an overpriced 430.
Old 08-19-10, 03:38 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

I ran across this deal. Almost seems too good to be true. A black 05 with 43k miles and nav and 5 spoke wheels for only 17.8k. Too good to be true? Here is the link:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
I would be wary of anything from the IL area from these third party dealers. In a way I am being a hypocrite since I bought my car from a third party dealer in Wichita, but I knew the ownership history of the car, that it was completely local and had every service at almost each 5k mile service interval including new tires, timing belt and WP before it was traded in.

I can only assume the Lexus dealer passed on keeping the trade because A. they don't keep almost any used cars to begin with at Scholfield Lexus/Mercedes/Acura, and B. the mileage was at 95k. It also had some rock chips on the hood and road rash on the front bumper I've been taking care of (guy lived in OK and traveled back and forth to KS). At 17.5k it was certainly a reasonable deal.

My only other choice was a 2003 Range Rover but I would have had to travel quite a distance and take a serious chance on reliability to get the one I wanted. I can say without a doubt this is an awesome car and if you don't have a big budget for repairs and INSIST on a used luxo barge, the LS430 is by far the best choice for you.

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 08-19-10 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-19-10, 04:06 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Ahh! Found it! Read 'em and weep (the attached Autocheck report):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus-LS-/220653857793
Old 08-19-10, 04:40 PM
anniversar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Be not deceived by the dark side...

There have been lots of glowing press about the Genesis. However, long term reliability is untested and I've read that the ride isn't up to par with vehicles like the LS430. Be sure to take a long test drive.
I test drove both a 3.8 and 4.6 Genesis 2010 models before deciding to buy my 2006 LS 430. The ride on the Genesis is awful, with lots of crashing over broken pavement and a crazy amount of vertical bouncing. The LS 430 is in a different league
Old 08-19-10, 04:58 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by anniversar
I test drove both a 3.8 and 4.6 Genesis 2010 models before deciding to buy my 2006 LS 430. The ride on the Genesis is awful, with lots of crashing over broken pavement and a crazy amount of vertical bouncing. The LS 430 is in a different league
I was seriously considering the 2010 Genesis 4.6 with Tech. It came loaded with every conceivable option and could be gotten at that time for around $38,000. I was looking at a white car with saddle interior. It was a good looking car but unfortunately there were ongoing issues with the suspension that Hyundai was and still is unable to correct. That was the turning point for me in addition to having my problem is the brand recognition thing. I'm happy with my decision to go with the LS430. The bonus was not having to deal with the brutal new car depreciation. I can keep my 2001 LS430 for a few years with the majority of the depreciation built into my original purchase price.
Old 08-19-10, 07:10 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
Ahh! Found it! Read 'em and weep (the attached Autocheck report):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus-LS-/220653857793
I would like to extend a very special thank you to playdrv4me. No only can I cross that car off altogether, you saved from a lot of trouble and headaches down the road. Love your avatar pic btw, great movie, I laughed all the way through it.

I would like to thank everyone else on their feedback on the genesis. Glad to hear some real life experiences with the car. I am definitely sticking with the 430.

I did finally get my mom and grandfather (who will be helping me financially, special thanks to him) to approve of the car. After they saw photos and I explained the car to them they said I was fine as long as I kept it for 5+ yrs. I look forward to a long and healthy relationship with the car and this forum!

As for the car, my first choice is still the one in Merrillville, IN. Yes it has some wear and tear (cosmetically), but it's service history is immaculate without any unscheduled trips to the dealer. Still negotiating on price, trying to cut another $2500 or so. Hopefully I will win lol. Will post pics when I get the car in a week or so.

Thanks for all your help and support! I couldn't have done such a thorough research without your valuable inputs!
Old 08-19-10, 07:56 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

It was a no brainer that a 2005 LS430 with low mileage in excellent condition would never be priced in the high teens unless there was a story.
Old 08-20-10, 01:25 AM
vollandt
Driver

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
Although that doesn't particularly matter since the LS430 is FAR more than a stone's throw from the 460 in the quality department. So many other things I'd prefer to drive than a 460, including an overpriced 430.
I've owned both. Though only had the 460 to 20k miles, i never had any issues with the car, so I can't concur with "quality" assertion. IMO - though very different, both are great rides. A lower cost of ownership is the main reason I moved back to a 430.
Old 08-20-10, 01:45 AM
vollandt
Driver

Good point. I see high mile ones go for 35k. I still don't really like it that much (430 is much cleaner, what were they thinking with that goofy wide slab of chrome down bottom of the doors??). Honestly, if 35k were my price range (and I were still looking at luxury), I would thinking BMW 750i (I love the slightly older ones around 06,07).
If you take into account maintenance costs and depreciation, a 35k 750I is likely to be much more expensive than a 35k LS.

I am not in the 460 basher camp. I think the styling is awesome. My only beef with the 460 is the visibility to the sides and rear because of the higher belt line. this makes backing up, and cutting off cabs in nyc traffic more difficult.

I drove a 2007 750LI about a month ago. As someone that loves the serenity and isolation that an LS offers, the beemer isn't in the ballpark - or even the same game for that matter.

Last edited by vollandt; 08-20-10 at 02:30 AM.
Old 08-20-10, 03:34 AM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

In my case, it has nothing to do with being part of any "camp". I am one of the few real car guys I know who would even consider driving a Lexus to begin with, because I like ALL cars for their own reasons... I can say without question the LS460 is an absolute step down from the 430. And to make matters worse, it really does fit within the paradigm of looking like nothing more than a glorified Camry. Whereas Lexus haters tend to overuse that turn of phrase WAAY too much, in the case of the 460, it actually looks just like the ES and likewise to some extent, the Camry.

I loved my IS250 minus the lack of power, and I particularly loved its interior... for its price point. What immediately struck me as I got inside the LS460 is how much it felt like nearly the identical car inside plus a few cubes of space. Nothing in there made me feel as if it was worth my hard earned 40k. There is nothing wrong with a familial resemblance either, as BMW and Merc have made that a trademark of the brand, but in the case of the 460... the whole thing really feels like a bigger ES/Camry.

So no, I don't dislike the car for the sake of jumping on some kind of bandwagon, it is genuinely a disappointing follow up to what WAS a fantastic automobile that was anything BUT a fancy ES. They'll eventually get their act together again and hopefully bring the car back up to a reasonable level. For now, I see why a lot of 430 owners are going to other brands (although a Genesis is just a *bit* of a stretch).

Getting back on topic, Glad to help carguy89. As Bocatrip stated, I knew something just wasn't right there, but I wanted to find out exactly what.

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 08-20-10 at 04:06 AM.
Old 08-20-10, 04:10 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

@ Vollandt: I am not bashing the 460 as a machine. It has to be better technically than the 430 otherwise why the heck would Lexus have replaced the 430? I was merely judging this by my personal preference. I admit that I am slightly biased after driving a 1995 5 series and a 2007 3 series for 2 yrs. I got a loaner 5 series recently and thought the ride was sublime (it just glided over bumps, huge reason why I'm switching) so I only assumed the 7 would be better. I have driven neither the 750 nor the 460 as they are both way too expensive for me at this point. I respect your opinion as you have driven them all and will not argue with you (until I've driven them anyways )

Like playdrv4me said, I am definitely a huge car enthusiast. I respect all cars (minus poorly built ones and the Aztec...yuck) and am willing to try something new as long as it's good. The only reason why I am swapping my 3 series is the fact that running A/C in my car makes the shifting near impossible (to be smooth) in lower gears and causes a jerking/bucking effect whenever I lift off the gas in lower gears. I learned manual to drive it smoothly, so rather than suffer mediocre shifting, I run my car with A/C off. Not so bad, except when it's 90, humid, and you're stuck at the lights with cars on both sides. The outside heat and heat from engines make it unbearable. However, I thought all autos were awful and dull...until I drove a 535 loaner car. Omg it was amazing, good to drive and I can go around town with A/C on. I also realized just how good modern luxury cars have gotten and that I would be willing to trade handling for comfort. It makes sense to me b/c I am trading something I can't use everyday (performance) for something I can (luxury). I had my choices down to the 5 series or LS430. I skipped the 5 due to multiple quality and reliability issues. I feel that if I were to drive the same car for the next 10 yrs, to should be loaded with tech (so I don't get bored), comfortable (all I do is drive on roads like a normal person), and reliable. All these things pushed me to the 430 as the best car within the budget.

Cliffs: I am not a LS460 basher, just not a fan of styling (purely subjective).
Explanation of how and why I came from my fun 328 to a luxury car, if you care to find out.

Quick Reply: Considering a LS430, please give me your input!