LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Is LS a dying model line?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-10, 05:45 PM
spender
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is LS a dying model line?

I'm just asking the question, the LS sales figures keep declining. I have had mine listed for several weeks (and have cut the price dramatically twice), and have only had a few inquiries.

I know it's a great car, and I of course love mine, but who is still buying them? Great cars are so cheap now (for $20,000 you can practically find a 996 Porsche), are our Lexus LS cars losing their ground?
Old 08-14-10, 06:07 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think all luxury sedans in this economy are losing their ground. That, and Toyota's reputation has been heavily damaged.
Old 08-14-10, 06:38 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I suspect you have hit a lull in the market for RWD luxury cars in Alberta. Folks are probably starting to think AWD and winter. Heck, I wanted to make sure I sold my RWD Dakota by mid-July.
Old 08-14-10, 06:41 PM
stock_sc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from the amount of LS's i been seeing it doesn't seem like it. i been seeing a lot more ls430's lately. im currently in a northern suburb of chicago.
Old 08-14-10, 06:45 PM
LexFather

The LS regained its top spot in its class last month in regards to sales. Its not going anywhere. What we likely will see is more LS evolution. It went from a one way model in the LS 400/430 to a model that offers
-SWB
LWB
Hybrid (Japan has a SWB LS 600h)
Sport
AWD

BMW has brought us a 6 cylinder 740. Expect the LS to possibly offer a V-6 in the future. Maybe a V-6 hybrid. Maybe a LS F in the future.

As stated big luxury cars have taken a hit. There is also more competition in the forms of the new Jag XJ and the new Panamera (which has been a HUGE hit for Porsche).

Big luxury is going nowhere, its just taking a break here. In China this is a huge exploding market.
Old 08-14-10, 06:48 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 272 Likes on 229 Posts

The LS430 was and is a great hit. Not the same for the LS460.
Old 08-14-10, 07:28 PM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=1SICKLEX;5715815] the new Panamera (which has been a HUGE hit for Porsche). QUOTE]

No doubt, a great looking vehicle (see pic below at $90k+ extras) but they sure nail you on costly options which the LS series has standard - for the most part.

I'll stick w/ my LS430's -

Will and the Fur Crew
Attached Thumbnails Is LS a dying model line?-800px-porsche-panamera_at_porsche-museum.jpg  
Old 08-14-10, 11:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Is LS a dying model line?
Also keep in mind that the LS is nearing it's next generation, which should regain some lost ground to other revamped competition
Old 08-14-10, 11:58 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think all sales for luxury cars have been down a tad ONLY DUE TO THE ECONOMIC DOWNTURN! I think, that also people like me either do one or two things in these times. We either change our spending habits or we do as we already were. Most my friends spend less now and can afford new S-Class' as well as other luxury autos. Times change priorities and when you see housing prices go down to prices like its the 1990's its a clear indication that money is a blessing as well as its earned due to hardwork and labor. To increase ones talents has become the priority, not to by more things.

I myself will keep my LS until it hits maybe 150,000-200,000 miles(at 106,900 now)!

L.G.N.M(Love.God.Not.Money)
Old 08-15-10, 12:03 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, also, the LS isnt losing any of its heat. people still like it there just alot more frugal now. Check the pre-owned search in some states and see how less LS' are for sale than before the economic downturn. Yes, some still are for sale but less. People are keeping there cars longer and I think this trend will stick for our generation and possibly the one that follows ours who are kids now and witnessed how lean time were as kids.

I appreciate my LS now more than before and must admit I took it for granted. Seeing folks lose there homes and cars the last 3 years humbled me. L.G.N.M
Old 08-15-10, 05:06 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=mewhee;5715894]
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
the new Panamera (which has been a HUGE hit for Porsche). QUOTE]

No doubt, a great looking vehicle (see pic below at $90k+ extras) but they sure nail you on costly options which the LS series has standard - for the most part.

I'll stick w/ my LS430's -

Will and the Fur Crew

i wonder where it gets its looks from??
-Porsche CEO
Old 08-15-10, 08:20 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Roman -

Are you saying by posting the CEO pic that luxury sedans are stereotyped as being designed and purchased by old farts? Incidentally, a category into which I fall. Personally, I think the LS buyer transcends age groups and is more of a thinking man's luxury car. It's just plain ol' reliable, semi stylish, extremely comfortable, a 'safe' buy from a resale standpoint, and an excellent value overall for the dollar outlay. As others have said, we're currently in a dip economy wise, maybe within striking distance of a double dip recession but, as in years past, this too will pass and healthy luxury car sales will eventually return once additional discretionary income finds its' way back into consumers bank accounts.

I've had LS's for almost 20 years and even tho not as nearly fun to drive as my much loved E Type Jag I had 30 years ago, my priorities have definitely changed over time. Comfort and reliability has become my mantra, the latter of which certainly didn't fit my Jag.

Good driving -

Will and the Furry Ones

Last edited by mewhee; 08-15-10 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-15-10, 04:07 PM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

^ i ment.. ever wonder why Panamera is so ugly?.. Look at the CEO of Porshe
Old 08-15-10, 04:32 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

He kind of reminds me of Hitler.
Old 08-15-10, 04:35 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

The Panamera is one very BEAUTIFUL automobile. It's the ultimate combination.

Quick Reply: Is LS a dying model line?