LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Out of Gas?? Car dies at 1/8 on gauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-10, 07:55 AM
gharnden
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out of Gas?? Car dies at 1/8 on gauge

I just purchased a beautiful, one owner, fully Lexus serviced 2004 LS 430 with 44K. On the way home from buying the car, the car died with the gas gauge showing between 1/8th and 1/4th on the gas gauge. I actually was near an exit on the interstate and was able to pull off to a gas station as it was showing signs of wanting to die. When I got to the gas station it died and would not start. We pushed it over to the gas pump and I put gas in and the car started immediately and ran great the rest of the way home. I put in 18.2 gallons so it was not empty since it holds 22 gallons and therefore the gas gauge seemed correct. The low fuel light never came on. On a side note, I had been driving in heavy rain for some 2 hours which probably has nothing to do with anything.
Would you guess that I just need to have the fuel filter checked and changed or is this some known problem such as a fuel pump problem when the gas gets low.
I have since put in some fuel treatment in case I had bad gas or it just needed some cleaning.
Any suggestion would be appreciated before I take it to the dealer.
Old 08-16-10, 09:01 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

hindsight is 20/20... I wondered if you checked the distance to empty computer readout?

If you had gas in the car (sounds like you did), then you might have a dirty fuel take. If the car sits for long periods of time, the gas can actually thicken and turn into a varnish-like substance. There is a chance that you'll need to empty the tank, clean it out, and then replace the fuel filter and maybe the pump. Do you know if the car has a long gap between service visits? Checking lexus.com owners section will provide some insight...

good luck. With any luck, you might have the problem fixed with a few treatments of fuel cleaner.
Old 08-16-10, 09:05 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 154 Posts

Possible fuel pump problem affecting the 2004 LS430 only. I recall other threads on the LS430 forum here where the fuel pump stopped working under certain conditions.

Recall info @ https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...new-ls430.html
Old 08-16-10, 09:19 AM
gharnden
Driver School Candidate

Default Previous Owner

The previous owner drove it about 5-6k miles a year. He had put probably 2k on it the last 6 months or so but I am not sure if it had been sitting for the past month or so. I assume not. Is there a chance that by running it several hundred miles yesterday and putting in a couple tanks of gas that the problem is solved? I am thinking about letting the gauge go back down to 1/4 of a tank and driving it on the highway and seeing if it happens again. Obviously, I will have a 5 gallon container of gas with me just in case it runs out again. What do you think? Thanks.
Old 08-16-10, 09:39 AM
GS4004me
Driver School Candidate

I have a gs, and mines used to cut off every once in a while when i would get off the highway, it would start right back up. but soon I as I would stop and about to pull off it would cut off. But what I found out later on my own, is sometimes I would leave the car on while pumping gas, something I always did with all my cars and truck. When I started cutting the car off at fill ups i did not notice it cutting off. and I try to fill up at half a tank with 93.
Pick up some bg44k fuel injector cleaner that's the best thing going.
Old 08-16-10, 09:48 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Also try using Shell V-Power gas, 91 octane or higher, either after using a fuel system additive or without using one at all. V-Power is supposedly good for keeping the fuel system and engine components clean with regular use.

If Shell V-Power is not convenient, try the nearest Top Tier certified brand of gas.
Old 08-16-10, 02:35 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure your gas cap is on correctly and you should click it at least three times. Twice so far my car has stopped running while i was putting gas in it while it was running. I think it has something to do with the evaporative recirculation system
Old 08-16-10, 04:56 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would change the fuel filter now. If you got that close to empty, the filter did its job and sucked in a bunch of gunk and is now nearly plugged. The float inside the tank may be damaged, as it not calibrated correctly. The gas cap may also be damaged and not closing 100%.
Old 08-16-10, 05:28 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You absolutely need to take the 5 gal container and go try it again. If it does the same thing, I would probably want to drop the tank and check the fuel pump. Perhaps the pickup is above where it should be or something is obscuring the pump pickup (inlet). Or perhaps it is as simple as a clogged gas cap or charcoal canister not allowing the pump to suck gas when the level (pressure) gets that low. Try unscrewing the cap when (if) it quits. Stranger things have happened! Best of luck.
Old 08-16-10, 08:00 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Don't mean to high jack the thread but people should have your engine turned off when you are pumping gas into your car. Leaving the engine running when handling/pumping gasoline is not a good idea. Risk is small with modern pumps but taking basic fundamental safety precautions around explosive highly flammable liquids is always smart.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 08-16-10 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-16-10, 08:50 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Don't mean to high jack the thread but people should have your engine turned off when you are pumping gas into your car. Leaving the engine running when handling/pumping gasoline is not a good idea. Risk is small with modern pumps but taking basic fundamental safety precautions around explosive highly flammable liquids is always smart.
x2. Have you every seen anyone fuel up an airplane without first grounding the fuel truck and plane?

It's not a good idea running the tank low, as the fuel is used to cool the fuel pump.
Old 08-17-10, 09:43 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

It's illegal in Canada to leave your car running while filling up.
Old 08-17-10, 10:36 AM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
It's illegal in Canada to leave your car running while filling up.
That's news to me. I've never seen/heard of that being enforced.
Old 08-17-10, 10:45 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Apologies to the non-Canadians and for being off-topic. There are signs posted at every fuel station in Canada saying to turn the engine off while filling up. Also at every station, the big key logo with a bar crossed through it is the simple way of communicating this.

Ontario Fire Code:
http://www.canlii.org/en/on/laws/reg...eg-213-07.html

4.5.8.6. (1) Except as provided in Sentence (2), flammable liquids and combustible liquids shall not be dispensed into the fuel tank of a motor vehicle, watercraft or floatplane while its engine is running.

Penalty:
http://www.canlii.org/en/on/laws/sta...-1997-c-4.html

(3) An individual convicted of an offence under subsection (1) is liable to,.. (b) in the case of an offence for contravention of the fire code, a fine of not more than $50,000 or imprisonment for a term of not more than one year, or both.

Supplemental info:
http://www.shell.ca/home/content/can...e/fuel_safety/

It's not hard to see why, at all our Shell stations, we are concerned about sources of ignition anywhere near our gasoline pumps or other fueling locations. In fact, fire regulations across the country (based on the National Fire Code) make it illegal:

* To smoke within 7.5 metres or 25 feet (3 metres or 10 feet in Ontario) of a gasoline pump including, inside a vehicle.
* To refuel a vehicle with the engine running.
Old 08-17-10, 11:02 AM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes!

Well I don't smoke lol...it kills!

I always turn my car off while I'm filling gas anyway...it takes a long time to fill an 80 + liter tank!

I have seen the signs all over the stations though

Good to be aware of the magnitude of such an offense...