where else can I turn but here

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-10, 07:34 AM
pacinitaly
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where else can I turn but here

I've been told I need a hub berring,

( 2003 ls430 93K all work done except the plugs- I got them but everyone wants $80 to install)& radiator and brake flush )

when I go from 40-60 I hear the noise-front left, when I tug R/L the noise is on the R tug. that is why I was told it is a hub berring. ( the 03 LS430 berrings can't be changed) so...... what is going on?

God Bless and take care of your families

~Carmine
Old 08-22-10, 07:49 AM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you tug?
Old 08-22-10, 07:52 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pacinitaly
I've been told I need a hub berring,

( 2003 ls430 93K all work done except the plugs- I got them but everyone wants $80 to install)& radiator and brake flush )

when I go from 40-60 I hear the noise-front left, when I tug R/L the noise is on the R tug. that is why I was told it is a hub berring. ( the 03 LS430 berrings can't be changed) so...... what is going on?

God Bless and take care of your families

~Carmine
The plugs are super easy to change. Pull the harness off each of the 8coils, remove coils with the 10mm bolt, remove plugs and reverse order. Radiator and brake flush is easy too, but if your not mechanically inclined, you should take it somewhere for that.
The bearing can be changed on the hub. You can get a hub with bearing pre-pressed on for around 250new and the bearing only for $65 online from Carson for an oem part. Labor is another story. I do them for friends out here in seattle.
Old 08-22-10, 07:53 AM
derpie
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Easy fix with air tools if not i'd let them do it.
Old 08-22-10, 08:10 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Easy to fix w/o air if you have the right tools, but if he goes with the bearing only it needs a bearing press.
Old 08-22-10, 10:23 AM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When my right rear went bad at 120,xxx I brought the whole assembly kit went too a shop because I needed a press,but I think the front you don't need it not sure. It ran me like 200 buck labor plus part.
Old 08-22-10, 12:55 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem right now on our 2004 with 97k. When I turn the wheel right the noise subsides, and when I turn it left it gets slightly louder. I will find out in a few days what that's going to cost.

I'm not really sure I understand how a bearing can be bad at under 100k on one of these cars, but I assume if the previous owner hit a pothole or curb hard enough that would do it.
Old 08-22-10, 01:33 PM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

That’s pretty odd to hear a bearing went bad under 100k. Im currently at 97k on my 03 and it still runs like a champ and my car is slammed to the floor. Best thing to do is have a reputable wheel/tire shop or even the stealer to diagnose the problem.
Old 08-22-10, 06:27 PM
pacinitaly
Driver

thank you all for the advice.

2marro, I'll be calling around again. one place (tire care) said if I don't do the work today, the wheel will lock up and the car would flip. ----hard sell?
Old 08-22-10, 06:45 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pacinitaly
thank you all for the advice.

2marro, I'll be calling around again. one place (tire care) said if I don't do the work today, the wheel will lock up and the car would flip. ----hard sell?
Well, theoretically a bad wheel bearing has the potential to cause all sorts of very dangerous calamities. What will happen if it goes too long is that eventually those bearings will seize up the affected wheel and you will immediately lose control as your steering is pulled to one direction or the other depending on what side the failure is on. You can drive on a bad one for a while before that will happen, but if you can afford an LS, why on earth take the risk?

My only excuse for not taking mine tomorrow is I am waiting on my brother's proof of his extended warranty to show up in the mail so I lessen the possibility of having to pay the entire repair out of pocket. I also have other things to drive in the meantime.

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 08-22-10 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-22-10, 06:49 PM
derpie
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
Well, theoretically a bad wheel bearing has the potential to cause all sorts of very dangerous calamities. What will happen if it goes too long is that eventually those bearings will seize up the affected wheel and you will immediately lose control as your steering is pulled to one direction or the other depending on what side the failure is on. You can drive on a bad one for a while before that will happen, but if you can afford an LS, why on earth take the risk?

My only excuse for not taking mine tomorrow is I am waiting on my brother's proof of his extended warranty to show up in the mail so I lessen the possibility of having to pay the entire repair out of pocket.
Yes could be quite pricey especially if it has the speed sensor on it as mine did when it needed repair.
Old 08-25-10, 08:55 AM
pacinitaly
Driver

ok guys, I left the car at my local toyota shop ($700.00) out the door.

the tech drove it and said not sure which side the issue is on
he said he'll ask another tech to drive along with him to make sure.

because of rear wheel drive no way to get speed / weight on wheel to check by just spinning by hand.
he said he needs to put a scope to it ( like a Dr. uses )
I said I have to go home to sleep ( i work nights) that was 08:00

it's now 11:50..... no call to say what's up
Old 08-25-10, 01:38 PM
pacinitaly
Driver

update: 16:29

it was the left front berring ( like I told them )

because of all the work I threw at them in the past year, I was given an oil change, bal/rotate and brake flush.

the price became $654.95

that's like a savings of almost $200. I love these guys. I'm gonna give him a $100 savings bond for his new 6month old.
Old 08-25-10, 01:42 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Yep, I took mine in yesterday and today they called me and said they need to do BOTH front wheel bearings at $1200.00, or about 650.00 out of my pocket. This is an INDEPENDENT shop mind you that still charges 85.00 an hour for labor (the short term extended warranty we got only covers 60 per hour which is almost unheard of now). So I am going to take the car to a different shop that actually does a lot of Lexus work and fits within the labor rate coverage of the warranty. The only downside is, its 400 miles away in Kansas.

Apparently the reason to do both sides is because he can't even really tell what side its on yet.
Old 08-26-10, 09:47 AM
pacinitaly
Driver

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
Yep, I took mine in yesterday and today they called me and said they need to do BOTH front wheel bearings at $1200.00, or about 650.00 out of my pocket. This is an INDEPENDENT shop mind you that still charges 85.00 an hour for labor (the short term extended warranty we got only covers 60 per hour which is almost unheard of now). So I am going to take the car to a different shop that actually does a lot of Lexus work and fits within the labor rate coverage of the warranty. The only downside is, its 400 miles away in Kansas.

Apparently the reason to do both sides is because he can't even really tell what side its on yet.

WTF???

I don't know what kind of warranty you got but please try to pass by a toyota dealer

Quick Reply: where else can I turn but here