LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Need help buying an LS430 - few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-10, 06:25 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 276 Likes on 233 Posts

I purchased from a small independent Florida Dealer and ended up with a 2 owner, regularly serviced by Lexus every 5,000 miles, all original car. It was a fair price and turned out to be a super healthy car.
Old 08-30-10, 06:50 PM
abs
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, I am now the proud owner of the 2005 CPO LS430. I just couldn't wait any longer to pull the trigger and had to get a new set of wheels. I should take delivery by the end of the week (I'm traveling on business the next few days). I did have the car checked out by a local body shop before signing and they confirmed that zero body work had been done and that not even the bumpers had been painted. This car truly was well maintained and garaged it's whole life and the service history from Lexus Owners site shows regular maintenance every 5k miles without even a single repair since new.

Thanks again for everyone's valuable input into the process.

Some photos attached for your enjoyment!

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails Need help buying an LS430 - few questions-00.jpg   Need help buying an LS430 - few questions-01.jpg   Need help buying an LS430 - few questions-02.jpg   Need help buying an LS430 - few questions-03.jpg   Need help buying an LS430 - few questions-04.jpg  

Last edited by abs; 08-30-10 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-30-10, 06:53 PM
abs
Pole Position

And, a few more . . .
Attached Thumbnails Need help buying an LS430 - few questions-16.jpg   Need help buying an LS430 - few questions-23.jpg   Need help buying an LS430 - few questions-21.jpg   Need help buying an LS430 - few questions-17.jpg   Need help buying an LS430 - few questions-18.jpg  

Old 08-30-10, 06:56 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Something I should have clarified, my comments on used car independents selling used Lexus were specifically describing the local DFW used car market in which used Lexi are in very high demand.

Having lived and bought used cars in three different big cities I have seen that every local market is unique and fairly different with regard to the quality of used car sales outlets.

As an example in DFW we bought our first Toyota Highlander from a large 3rd party independent that sources most of their cars from large regional auctions in Florida, West Coast and NE. We got an 06 Highlander for approx $1500 or so less than the dealer was selling identical Highlanders at the time. In fact the local Toyota dealers in 2007 were regularly buying in demand Toyotas from this same high volume 3rd party in order to put good quality used Highlanders on their lots because so few were being traded in.

Just demonstrates that each local market for used cars is unique and you have to do your homework and figure out where the cars come from and who is buying and selling the good ones.
Old 08-30-10, 06:58 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

abs - That car looks very clean - nice catch. Enjoy it in good health and safety.
Old 08-30-10, 07:01 PM
tcbted
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
B. Indie dealer gets a lot of cars from the local high end dealer who doesn't keep a lot of used inventory to begin with, and anything over 60k miles and not 100 percent pristine gets sold to their "wholesalers"... i.e. the 3rd party dealer.
This was my case ... a 2004 Custom Lux, no Nav, 80k, for $21k in May of 2009. No negotiation, other than me telling them no to their admin fee, and to blow in the rear bumper and lower quarter panel, refinish the rims, fix the stuck center storage bin, and fix the flashing AFS light (height control module).
My small dealer specialized in German cars ... lots of M series used BMW's, Audi A8's, Porche, Vipers, WRX's, etc.

Same car was going for about $25k at Ken Shaw Lexus.
The small dealer fixed everything, but it took multiple visits, and I could tell the owner was getting frustrated at the cost of the repairs.
This car came from a Toyota auction, and had too many miles to qualify for
placement on a Lexus used lot.
The previous owner was a lease return, and he must've paid a huge penalty, because every suface of the car had a scratch or ding

By comparison, I picked up a cherry 2000 ES300 at Ken Shaw Lexus in May of 2008, 90k, for about $11k. One owner, full service records up to date at Lexus, and perfect shape.
As they drove the car across the street from their garage, they picked up a nail in one tire. The Michelins were a discontinued pattern that wouldn't match, so they switched to 4 new Michelin Primacy's.
Pretty impressive service for a cheap, used Lexus.

Next time, I'm buying direct from Lexus.
Old 08-30-10, 11:25 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by abs
Well, I am now the proud owner of the 2005 CPO LS430. I just couldn't wait any longer to pull the trigger and had to get a new set of wheels. I should take delivery by the end of the week (I'm traveling on business the next few days). I did have the car checked out by a local body shop before signing and they confirmed that zero body work had been done and that not even the bumpers had been painted. This car truly was well maintained and garaged it's whole life and the service history from Lexus Owners site shows regular maintenance every 5k miles without even a single repair since new.

Thanks again for everyone's valuable input into the process.

Some photos attached for your enjoyment!

Andrew
Fantastic... a PERFECT car in one of my favorite colors. Take good care of it and it will take good care of you! Hell, it will take good care of you even if you don't!
Old 08-30-10, 11:27 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcbted
This was my case ... a 2004 Custom Lux, no Nav, 80k, for $21k in May of 2009. No negotiation, other than me telling them no to their admin fee, and to blow in the rear bumper and lower quarter panel, refinish the rims, fix the stuck center storage bin, and fix the flashing AFS light (height control module).
My small dealer specialized in German cars ... lots of M series used BMW's, Audi A8's, Porche, Vipers, WRX's, etc.

Same car was going for about $25k at Ken Shaw Lexus.
The small dealer fixed everything, but it took multiple visits, and I could tell the owner was getting frustrated at the cost of the repairs.
This car came from a Toyota auction, and had too many miles to qualify for
placement on a Lexus used lot.
The previous owner was a lease return, and he must've paid a huge penalty, because every suface of the car had a scratch or ding

By comparison, I picked up a cherry 2000 ES300 at Ken Shaw Lexus in May of 2008, 90k, for about $11k. One owner, full service records up to date at Lexus, and perfect shape.
As they drove the car across the street from their garage, they picked up a nail in one tire. The Michelins were a discontinued pattern that wouldn't match, so they switched to 4 new Michelin Primacy's.
Pretty impressive service for a cheap, used Lexus.

Next time, I'm buying direct from Lexus.
I remember that ES Ted, I wish you had kept that one, it was absolutely pristine.

The green LS is still my favorite.
Old 08-31-10, 03:16 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Woohoo, another flint mica! The fastest, most fuel efficient, and comfortable cars are flint mica. Congrats!
Old 09-06-10, 05:22 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet ride!! Got a great set of options too. A little late I know, but I have been busy with school.

As Caddyowner says, Flint Mica FTW!!
Old 09-06-10, 07:32 PM
abs
Pole Position

Thanks for all the feedback - I'm really enjoying the car so far. Just picked it up the other day. As one might have guessed, the dealer didn't "fix" every little issue before selling the car. And I'm not working to resolve the little nits.

On my ride home I noticed a little steering wheel shimmy at about 60 mph, most likely due to an out of balance rim. On my test drives I got up to that speed, but the parkway was too bumpy for me to notice the vibration.

I've also discovered that I have only 1 master key and 1 valet key - I'm missing the second master as well as the "flat" key. Actually, the battery in the one master key was dead (I had a spare handy and replaced it) which I discovered while trying to get the keyless functions to work . . . now working beautifully but only with that one key. Any thoughts on exactly what I should ask the dealer for? Will I need the "flat keys"? Should I just ask for 1 replacement master key?

I think the hydraulic actuators on the trunk are worn out. When I pop the trunk, should it open automatically? I've noticed some oil around the top mount of each hydraulic cylinder on the trunk lid itself and, it takes some effort to raise the trunk lid which doesn't seem very Lexus like. Any thoughts on this?

I have a very bad smell coming from the ventilation system that I experience when first starting the car before the A/C kicks in. I've checked that the cabin air filter is in good condition and it appears to be brand new. I've had very good success in other vehicles with an odor removing spray from Autozone with other vehicles - I've picked up two containers and will run it through the system over the next week or so. I'm pretty sure that will resolve the issue.

The brake fluid looks perfect, but I'll be changing out the transmission fluid, differential fluid, power steering fluid and coolant over the next month or two. I am debating whether I will do the transmission fluid myself or not - if my OBD-II scanner can accurately read the transmission temps, I may just go for it! I don't have any desire to pay high dealer costs for work I'm perfectly capable of handling on my own.

I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

Andrew
Old 09-06-10, 07:38 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

I can only relate with the trunk issue. I did notice that my trunk doesn't pop up immediately either. I have to use some force to lift it. That said, it's not that bad, plus it makes me close the trunk more gently and also use the self close feature more (which have impressed quite a few ppl by now lol). I read somewhere that trunk struts are serious $$. Andrew, If I were you, I would just let the struts be as is...until you can't lift the lid anymore lol.
Old 09-07-10, 08:12 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
I can only relate with the trunk issue. I did notice that my trunk doesn't pop up immediately either. I have to use some force to lift it. That said, it's not that bad, plus it makes me close the trunk more gently and also use the self close feature more (which have impressed quite a few ppl by now lol). I read somewhere that trunk struts are serious $$. Andrew, If I were you, I would just let the struts be as is...until you can't lift the lid anymore lol.
The Lexus doesn't lift the lid when opened. It just pops up a couple of inches and you have to lift it. The real limit on struts is when they fail to hold the trunk lid open, or it droops enough that you bang your head on it.

New struts will hold the lid when lifter about 18 inches.
Old 09-07-10, 12:26 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

^gotcha thanks for the info. I don't think mine is in bad shape at all right now, my trunk has never tried to execute me before...lol