LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

02 Levinson CD Changer Repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-10, 01:45 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 02 Levinson CD Changer Repair

My CD changer began to have difficulty ejecting. It finally stopped ejecting, and does not even play now. A while back there was an eBay source that would repair them for $199, regardless of the problem (you R&R, send it in). Can't find them now, when I need it! Anybody use them, or have another suggestion for getting back into the changer game without buying a new, very expensive unit from Toyota?
Old 08-25-10, 08:34 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Anybody?

No other experience with CD changer failures and resultant repair?
Old 08-25-10, 08:36 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't even use my CD changer, its all tape adapter or AUX input for me. I suspect this may be what led to the demise of the repair service.
Old 08-26-10, 08:35 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
I don't even use my CD changer, its all tape adapter or AUX input for me. I suspect this may be what led to the demise of the repair service.
that would be a shame, because their is no tape adapter or aux input that would match the sound of pure uncompressed CD's. Pain in the butt? Yes. Worth carrying CD's? To me, yes.
Old 08-26-10, 08:48 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts

I hate to ask this for fear of looking really stupid, but I assume the ML with Nav does not have a tape deck, does it?
Old 08-26-10, 08:51 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tape

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I hate to ask this for fear of looking really stupid, but I assume the ML with Nav does not have a tape deck, does it?
The ML has tape too.
Old 08-26-10, 11:04 AM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would buy an ipod and adapter for tape deck.
Old 08-26-10, 12:55 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GLIDESUL
I would buy an ipod and adapter for tape deck.
What is the sound quality like if the ipod is channeled through the tape player? Is is the same as the radio? The radio in my car sounds like crap, but the CD player sounds fine. This is why I am asking. Sorry if this has been discussed before. Thanks all.
Old 08-26-10, 01:30 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
What is the sound quality like if the ipod is channeled through the tape player? Is is the same as the radio? The radio in my car sounds like crap, but the CD player sounds fine. This is why I am asking. Sorry if this has been discussed before. Thanks all.
The radio DOES sound like crap. But I assure the cassette adapter on this particular car, actually sounds equal to if not BETTER than the CD source. I don't know why that is, but it does.

Also, the guy who said the tape adapter can't match an uncompressed CD is wrong. I have played CDs in my car, and I have also played 96khz/24 bit audio files through the cassette deck with better results. While it would seem logical that the cassette method would take away the benefits of such a high quality file, the CD player just sounds lifeless by comparison. Keep in mind both the non-ML and ML headunits are far from audiophile quality systems anyway, so its almost a moot point.

If you insist on having tighter integration, there are adapters like these: http://soarer.tv/Ipod/ that will give you a direct line to the headunit, but I find it unnecessary with the quality of the tape deck (which is also an ultra stable, ultra quiet deck to boot).

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 08-26-10 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-26-10, 01:49 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Here is another (probably cheaper) example of an adapter that inputs directly behind the headunit. This one also does NOT take away factory CD and Satellite radio functionality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/USA-SPEC-iPOD-TO...er_Accessories

That is tempting mainly for the fact that you can view song title and artist data right on the front LCD or Nav screen, as well as control the ipod. We are VERY fortunate that so many input options exist for us. I've had a slew of cars (COUGH, 745i, COUGH) that were damn near impossible to do ANYTHING with aftermarket, or required manufacturer specific solutions that were 700.00 on up.

I assure you using the above with an iPod or other high quality audio source (DVD-A player for 96KHz files) will far surpass your factory CD player, and be cheaper than replacing or fixing it.

EDIT: the Vaistech SLI adapter seems to be highly regarded here. http://cgi.ebay.com/VaisTech-Lexus-T...item4ceff6be8d

Yet another option, and I see those have a ground loop isolator that would eliminate any possibility of hum or whine from the electrical system in the car.

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 08-26-10 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-26-10, 02:22 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
The radio DOES sound like crap. But I assure the cassette adapter on this particular car, actually sounds equal to if not BETTER than the CD source. I don't know why that is, but it does.

Also, the guy who said the tape adapter can't match an uncompressed CD is wrong. I have played CDs in my car, and I have also played 96khz/24 bit audio files through the cassette deck with better results. While it would seem logical that the cassette method would take away the benefits of such a high quality file, the CD player just sounds lifeless by comparison. Keep in mind both the non-ML and ML headunits are far from audiophile quality systems anyway, so its almost a moot point.

If you insist on having tighter integration, there are adapters like these: http://soarer.tv/Ipod/ that will give you a direct line to the headunit, but I find it unnecessary with the quality of the tape deck (which is also an ultra stable, ultra quiet deck to boot).
Wrong is a strong word. You are at the mercy of the headphone amp in any device you are using with the cassette adapter, unless you have a cassette adapter with a dock connection on one end with an Ipod. The actual signal to noise ratio of the cassette deck, of ANY cassette deck in car stereo is garbage compared to the CD player. Your line stage with the cassette adapter has so many more paths to go through as well, that dynamics get killed every step of the way. I disagree with the tape deck on the LS to be of high quality- the SN ratio leaves a lot to be desired. It's good- but it aint no nakamichi dragon! Now if we want to get into the whole analog vs. digial thing- that's an entirely different argument. finding the signal gain for the best dynamics is difficult enough. I agree though- the ML system is just okay- just okay enough for me not to rip it out. It's not a very dynamic system at all with just okay imaging. Just agreeing to disagree.
Old 08-26-10, 02:54 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Speaking of Nakamichi Dragon, I found the Nakamichi audio system in my 1998 LS400 to be far superior overall to the ML unit in the LS430. It was good enough that my friend would just sit in the car and listen to music, without going anywhere on occasion.
Old 08-26-10, 04:23 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me the ipod adapter sounds fine as good as cd. I can do more to the sound setting using my ipod plus the eq in the mark levinson. Bad thing is that's how I blew my speakers, ppl r blowin these speakers left and right anyways. 1 ipod 4000 songs compared to carry storing endless cds in your car, no brainer 4 me
Old 08-26-10, 06:45 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GLIDESUL
To me the ipod adapter sounds fine as good as cd. I can do more to the sound setting using my ipod plus the eq in the mark levinson. Bad thing is that's how I blew my speakers, ppl r blowin these speakers left and right anyways. 1 ipod 4000 songs compared to carry storing endless cds in your car, no brainer 4 me
Perception is realty. If it sounds good to the listener, it's good enough. I too am not a fan of constantly changing out the CDs.
Old 09-03-10, 09:50 AM
cmotomn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TOYPD2/LEXPD2 by Soundgate (VAIS SoundLinQ SL2i-UP)

It's the best $75 you'll ever spend on the LS430!

http://www.mp3carpros.com/product_in...products_id=87

Quick Reply: 02 Levinson CD Changer Repair