LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

60,000 Mile Service - Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-10, 07:50 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut
Unless you know something I don't, there is no such thing as Dexron IV fluid. It is called TYPE IV fluid for Toyota/Lexus vehicles. Dexron is generally and older fluid used in most other cars, especially GM vehicles.
Since it is apparent you have never been inside a Lexus Transmission, you will also find a magnet the size of your fist in their that accumulates "shavings" and other small debris. You can wash the filter off and re-use it if you wish. But, if you want to spend some money, I'd replace it also.
Old 09-20-10, 05:14 AM
abs
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Since it is apparent you have never been inside a Lexus Transmission, you will also find a magnet the size of your fist in their that accumulates "shavings" and other small debris. You can wash the filter off and re-use it if you wish. But, if you want to spend some money, I'd replace it also.
Carnut - Actually, this 6 speed transmission has 3 smaller magnets on the bottom of the pan and they are only good for catching small metal shavings. One thing I've been considering is installing a bypass filter at the oil cooler to actually filter the fluid down to the 2-4 micron range. THAT is truly filtering. The magnets and the mesh filter do help, but not nearly as much as a bypass would. By the way, this is one key reason to change transmission fluids regularly - to eliminate debris that may be dissolved into the fluid from the clutches, etc.

Yes, I give you credit, you correctly found an error in my prior post, I meant to write about Dexron VI (not IV) and inverted the characters in error. The point I was making is that other manufacturers have shifted to low viscosity, high performance transmission fluids (similar to Toyota's move). No, I was not talking about Toyota Type IV, I truly meant the GM spec for Dexron VI. Carnut - time for you to "catch up" on your fluids . . .

I think I've said enough on this topic and I'm getting tired of the bickering with you. Carnut, nobody is telling you to change your fluid if you don't want to. Leave it in the car as long as you like, drink the cool-aid, follow the advice of your Lexus tech friend and call it a day. I hope your transmission has a nice long life without any problems.

Andrew

Last edited by abs; 09-20-10 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-20-10, 11:12 AM
pass427
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The transmission service will never be conclusive as I called my dealer a month or so back for my 04 LS and they told me the transmission should be serviced at 60k and then again at 120k and the cost would be $155 which I assume would be a drain and filled. Then I called another dealer who told me it should be done at 100k. I think either way it can be done at 60k or 100k based on the type of fluid that's used, type of driving style etc. I did mine at 71k a few weeks ago and the fliud that came out looked like the same color they put in. Even the tech agreed that it was not dirty.
Old 09-20-10, 01:02 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by abs
Carnut - Actually, this 6 speed transmission has 3 smaller magnets on the bottom of the pan and they are only good for catching small metal shavings. One thing I've been considering is installing a bypass filter at the oil cooler to actually filter the fluid down to the 2-4 micron range. THAT is truly filtering. The magnets and the mesh filter do help, but not nearly as much as a bypass would. By the way, this is one key reason to change transmission fluids regularly - to eliminate debris that may be dissolved into the fluid from the clutches, etc.

Yes, I give you credit, you correctly found an error in my prior post, I meant to write about Dexron VI (not IV) and inverted the characters in error. The point I was making is that other manufacturers have shifted to low viscosity, high performance transmission fluids (similar to Toyota's move). No, I was not talking about Toyota Type IV, I truly meant the GM spec for Dexron VI. Carnut - time for you to "catch up" on your fluids . . .

I think I've said enough on this topic and I'm getting tired of the bickering with you. Carnut, nobody is telling you to change your fluid if you don't want to. Leave it in the car as long as you like, drink the cool-aid, follow the advice of your Lexus tech friend and call it a day. I hope your transmission has a nice long life without any problems.

Andrew
I really don't want you to take it as "Bickering". I just think we have beat this dead horse to death. I'm going to go INSIST they change my transmission fluid and my Coolant and pay whatever they want. My car just hit 60,000 miles so to put this matter to rest, I'll see if I can get Lexus to change my fluids.
Old 09-20-10, 01:26 PM
elite7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what its worth my 1996 Lexus LS400 has 101,000 miles on it and im still running the original transmission fluid.

I dont plan on changing it and i have no problems whatsoever.

The transmission gets used to the old fluid and once you start putting new fluids in it can actually degrade the transmission. So you end up actually harming the transmission rather than helping it.
Old 09-20-10, 01:46 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by elite7
For what its worth my 1996 Lexus LS400 has 101,000 miles on it and im still running the original transmission fluid.

The transmission gets used to the old fluid and once you start putting new fluids in it can actually degrade the transmission. So you end up actually harming the transmission rather than helping it.
Thank you, "That's exactly what I've been wanting to hear". Some people just can't "Change with the times".
Old 09-20-10, 04:35 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

This doesn't really tell you anything other than the fact that your transmission hasn't failed yet. It is completely anecdotal evidence.

Well, actually it does tell us something I suppose. In that it continues to confirm my belief that the LS400 is the best LS produced to date... "Taking a licking and keeping on ticking" even when the proper maintenance schedules are not followed to the "Tee" (I am almost certain Toyota still spec'd 60k or less transmission maintenance intervals in the mid-1990s). After owning two 400s, 2 430s and driving a 460 I can honestly say the latter two don't hold a candle to the 400 in overall fit and finish (especially the '98 to 2000). Yea you can spout specs, horsepower numbers and toys all you want, but when it comes to the car itself, it was an engineering masterpiece.

Anyway, getting back to the point.... Not changing fluids is a complete crap-shoot and a silly one considering the cost of a new transmission. If one started changing the fluid at 30k to 60k as was customary in the past, then there would be no opportunity for an old transmission to "get used to" old fluid. It should never get to that point to begin with!

But... I too am done with this debate. It is a matter entirely up to personal choice, those who do, will and those who don't, won't.

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 09-20-10 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-20-10, 04:40 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Thank you, "That's exactly what I've been wanting to hear". Some people just can't "Change with the times".
Umm... Just because someone tells you "what you want to hear", does not make the information correct. Hello, this IS the internet.
Old 09-20-10, 04:45 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
This doesn't really tell you anything other than the fact that your transmission hasn't failed yet. It is completely anecdotal evidence.

Well, actually it does tell us something I suppose. In that it continues to confirm my belief that the LS400 is the best LS produced to date. After owning two 400s, 2 430s and driving a 460 I can honestly say the latter two don't hold a candle to the 400 in overall fit and finish (especially the '98 to 2000). Yea you can spout specs, horsepower numbers and toys all you want, but when it comes to the car itself, it was an engineering masterpiece. But I suppose if one believes the ML audio system is "audiophile quality"...

Anyway, getting back to the point.... Not changing fluids is a complete crap-shoot and a silly one considering the cost of a new transmission. If one started changing the fluid at 30k to 60k as was customary in the past, then there would be no opportunity for an old transmission to "get used to" old fluid. It should never get to that point to begin with.
I agree. The LS-400 was an awesome machine. I had a 1993 and then upgraded ( I thought) to a 1998, and it did not compare to the 1993. It was not half the car. I'm hearing nothing but complaints about the LS-460 compared to the LS-430 in ride, handling and other issues. I'm glad to have a LS-430 that drives like a dream. ALL new cars seem to look "Just Like" the LS-460. Would we be having these conversations 10-20 years ago ?

I'm thinking the Buick LaCrosse is the way to go........great styling, great ride.
Old 09-20-10, 04:49 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

I agree. The LS-400 was an awesome machine. I had a 1993 and then upgraded ( I thought) to a 1998, and it did not compare to the 1993. It was not half the car. I'm hearing nothing but complaints about the LS-460 compared to the LS-430 in ride, handling and other issues. I'm glad to have a LS-430 that drives like a dream. ALL new cars seem to look "Just Like" the LS-460. Would we be having these conversations 10-20 years ago ?

I'm thinking the Buick LaCrosse is the way to go........great styling, great ride.
1993 and 1994 were a couple of the best years of LS *ever* produced. They had all the goodness of the very first car, with updates that made them more thoroughly modern. '93s and '94s are the most desired and hardest to find of that generation.

I have nothing personally against the LS460, but when I look at the lineage of the LS family tree, it seems that each generation is "less good" than the last. And again, you can pile icing on top of any cake and make it more appealing, as is the case with all the cool toys you can get in an LS460. But when I drove one, I felt less in love than I did with the 430... and this being my second go-round in a 430, I am less in love with IT than I was with my 1998 LS400.

I think the explanation is really simple. The first LS400 had many things going for it... starting with the fact that late 1980s and early 1990s were the "Golden years" for Toyota to begin with, then you couple that with the fact that Toyota REALLY had something to PROVE with the Lexus line-up in those early years. So in order to steal buyers away from the tried and true luxury brands, they HAD to over-engineer the entire car to a standard that would impress conquest buyers from Mercedes and BMW. As the years have worn on, the LS is no longer the exception to the rule, but has become, itself, the "also-ran" of the large luxury segment. Toyota in turn can keep adding the *features* luxury car buyers demand, but the car itself no longer has to be built to the same high standard... and with each subsequent generation this shows through a little more and more.

I have a friend who seems to get off entirely on getting into my LS430 and finding areas in which my LS400 was a better car. It really irks the hell out of me.

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 09-20-10 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-20-10, 04:58 PM
elite7
Driver

Well, actually it does tell us something I suppose. In that it continues to confirm my belief that the LS400 is the best LS produced to date... "Taking a licking and keeping on ticking" even when the proper maintenance schedules are not followed to the "Tee" (I am almost certain Toyota still spec'd 60k or less transmission maintenance intervals in the mid-1990s). After owning two 400s, 2 430s and driving a 460 I can honestly say the latter two don't hold a candle to the 400 in overall fit and finish (especially the '98 to 2000). Yea you can spout specs, horsepower numbers and toys all you want, but when it comes to the car itself, it was an engineering masterpiece. But I suppose if one believes the ML audio system is "audiophile quality"...

Anyway, getting back to the point.... Not changing fluids is a complete crap-shoot and a silly one considering the cost of a new transmission. If one started changing the fluid at 30k to 60k as was customary in the past, then there would be no opportunity for an old transmission to "get used to" old fluid. It should never get to that point to begin with!

But... I too am done with this debate. It is a matter entirely up to personal choice, those who do, will and those who don't, won't.
The LS 460 is an engineering masterpiece as well. Consider the fact that it has the worlds first 8 speed transmission, Dual VVTi, Auto Park, etc.

Next the Mark Levinson in the LS460 is Audiophile Quality. It completely annihilates the Nakamichi in my LS400. You can "think" what you want. Then again i own both so i dont have any bias towards one or the other.

Not changing fluids isnt a crap shoot. More like changing the fluids is a crap shoot. Its just a matter of time before the new fluid breaks down your transmission.
I would rather let my transmission get used to the same old fluid than to introduce new fluid that will break it down.

You can't go forever on the same transmission fluid, so eventually you have to change it but by that time you are going to count on doing some transmission work anyhow.

And no its not necessary to change the transmission fluids at 30k and 60k. They say this in manuals to prevent lawsuits. Might as well change it every 5k like oil or maybe even 1k. Its new fluid right?

Do what you want. My 1996 LS400 has the original transmission fluid with 101,000 miles and its shifting just like the day i bought it. No slippage, lag, hesitation, etc.

Last edited by elite7; 09-20-10 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-20-10, 05:00 PM
elite7
Driver

Umm... Just because someone tells you "what you want to hear", does not make the information correct. Hello, this IS the internet.

Dumping your transmission fluid out and putting branding new fluid in would be like me taking all the blood out of your body and putting new blood in.

Its new right?

Last edited by elite7; 09-20-10 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-20-10, 05:12 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

The LS 460 is an engineering masterpiece as well. Consider the fact that it has the worlds first 8 speed transmission, Dual VVTi, Auto Park, etc.
Again, way to quote the sales brochure . These are *features* not core components of the way the vehicle was built. If you read my post you would see that I mentioned you can throw in the kitchen sink with ANY car, but that does not make it a better built car.

Next the Mark Levinson in the LS460 is Audiophile Quality. It completely annihilates the Nakamichi in my LS400. You can "think" what you want. Then again i own both so i dont have any bias towards one or the other.
If your ears tell you that the ML is better than the Nak, then more power to you. I can tell you that you are in a distinct minority on that one. But I suppose there are people who think Dr. Dre Beats headphones are audiophile quality too.

Not changing fluids isnt a crap shoot. More like changing the fluids is a crap shoot. Its just a matter of time before the new fluid breaks down your transmission.
I would rather let my transmission get used to the same old fluid than to introduce new fluid that will break it down.

You can't go forever on the same transmission fluid, so eventually you have to change it but by that time you are going to count on doing some transmission work anyhow.
Way to introduce some truly relevant information to the discussion. If anything, you just proved the point of this whole thread. Transmission fluid DOES break down, and the amount it breaks down directly correlates to transmission temperature and transmission life. Contrary to your belief, I know plenty of people who have managed 250k+ out of their *original* transmissions by following regular transmission servicing intervals. I also know plenty who either bought used cars on which the trans was never serviced, or just chose to go "by the book" and replaced their transmissions MUCH sooner. Again, we're talking about 250 versus 5000.00 for a new transmission. "I'll let it get old and have the transmission adjust" is a completely non-sensical and fairly humorous argument. It makes about as much sense as someone who recently believed that the engine stopping when the timing belt broke was a feature of the car. Yes, the transmission adjusts alright... IT ADJUSTS VIA ACCELERATING WEAR! Not something I want.

And no its not necessary to change the transmission fluids at 30k and 60k. They say this in manuals to prevent lawsuits. Might as well change it every 5k like oil or maybe even 1k. Its new fluid right?
Wait... wait, What? While we're at it, let's not change our engine oil for 25,000 miles as 5k is probably just a legal requirement, right?

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 09-20-10 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-20-10, 05:26 PM
elite7
Driver

Again, way to quote the sales brochure . These are *features* not core components of the way the vehicle was built. If you read my post you would see that I mentioned you can throw in the kitchen sink with ANY car, but that does not make it a better built car.
What are you talking about not core components? The transmission and engine arent core components? Amazing.

If your ears tell you that the ML is better than the Nak, then more power to you. I can tell you that you are in a distinct minority on that one. But I suppose there are people who think Dr. Dre Beats headphones are audiophile quality too.
My wife, daughters, sons, all agree with me the ML is better than the Nak. Its not just my ears. My whole family sees its better.

Way to introduce some truly relevant information to the discussion. If anything, you just proved the point of this whole thread. Transmission fluid DOES break down, and the amount it breaks down directly correlates to transmission temperature and transmission life. Contrary to your belief, I know plenty of people who have managed 250k+ out of their *original* transmissions by following regular transmission servicing intervals. I also know plenty who either bought used cars on which the trans was never serviced, or just chose to go "by the book" and replaced their transmissions MUCH sooner. Again, we're talking about 250 versus 5000.00 for a new transmission. "I'll let it get old and have the transmission adjust" is a completely non-sensical and fairly humorous argument. It makes about as much sense as someone who recently believed that the engine stopping when the timing belt broke was a feature of the car. Yes, the transmission adjusts alright... IT ADJUSTS VIA ACCELERATING WEAR! Not something I want.
What are you talking about accelerating wear? This is not an engine. There is no combustion, gasses, etc. Otherwise you might as well change the trans fluid when you do the engine oil. Its just gears moving. Thats it.

Wait... wait, What? While we're at it, let's not change our engine oil for 25,000 miles as 5k is probably just a legal requirement, right?
Shows how much you know. You are comparing something that combusts, pollutes, builds up carbon to moving gears. Wow....Shows how "knowledgeable" you are.

Do whatever you want i dont really care.
Old 09-20-10, 05:56 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

What are you talking about not core components? The transmission and engine arent core components? Amazing.

My wife, daughters, sons, all agree with me the ML is better than the Nak. Its not just my ears. My whole family sees its better.

What are you talking about accelerating wear? This is not an engine. There is no combustion, gasses, etc. Otherwise you might as well change the trans fluid when you do the engine oil. Its just gears moving. Thats it.

Shows how much you know. You are comparing something that combusts, pollutes, builds up carbon to moving gears. Wow....Shows how "knowledgeable" you are.

Do whatever you want i dont really care.
I'm tired of this, I'm calling in NASA and see if we can get a "Rocket Scientist" to get all this correct. After all, we are all driving cars we obvisously cannot afford to fix if they break. Again, get a Chevy and stop the worry.l

Quick Reply: 60,000 Mile Service - Transmission