LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

60,000 Mile Service - Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 09:52 AM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is full of Idiocy.

If you guys want to change the Transmission fluid early to prevent failing that is a very smart thing to do.

If you believe in Lexus and never want to touch fluid then that's fine too.

Its your car do what you want.

If you guys are running the fluid already for a long time, you can get a sample of the fluid and send it out for Analysis. Then you can tell how the fluid is doing. Scientifically not just oh hey it looks ok.
Old 09-21-10, 09:58 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tsslaporte

If you guys want to change the Transmission fluid early to prevent failing that is a very smart thing to do.

If you guys are running the fluid already for a long time, you can get a sample of the fluid and send it out for Analysis. Then you can tell how the fluid is doing. Scientifically not just oh hey it looks ok.
Best post yet, with one exception.

1. If you guys want to change the Transmission fluid early to prevent failing that is a very smart thing to do.

2. If you believe in Lexus and never want to touch fluid then that's A SMART THING too.

You failed to say going by Lexus Schedule is not smart.....just a minor oversight I'm sure. I corrected your sentence if you don't mind.
Old 09-21-10, 10:00 AM
elite7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no idiocy unless you "think" you know better on how to maintain your LS 430 than the Manufacturer.

No its not smart at all. According to who? Lexus tells you dont inspect it and dont replace it unless its leaking/needs repair.

Last time i checked going against what Lexus tells you to do in the Lexus Factory Maintenance Manual is ignorant rather than smart

Going against what the Manufacturer of your vehicle is telling you to do is just asking for trouble.

Again please stop spreading MISINFORMATION.

In terms of the sample fluid i dont think its even possible without changing the fluid. Its sealed and there is no dipstick. You would probably have to start taking it apart in order to do this and at the same time you would have to refill the transmission fluid because it would be drained.

They dont tell you to not Inspect or Replace it for no reason. Im positive that if that was the proper way to do it Lexus would recommend it. YOU are recommending it NOT Lexus.

Originally Posted by Carnut

1. If you guys want to change the Transmission fluid early to prevent failing that is a very smart thing to do.

2. If you believe in Lexus and never want to touch fluid then that's A SMART THING too.

You failed to say going by Lexus Schedule is not smart.....just a minor oversight I'm sure. I corrected your sentence if you don't mind.
I agree with you 100% Carnut.

If you guys dont want to believe in the Lexus Factory Maintenance Manual be my guest and schedule your own Maintenance.

Just dont be surprised once your transmission starts slipping and needs to be replaced.

Last edited by elite7; 09-21-10 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-21-10, 10:01 AM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

^ All of those Maintenance Schedules are pretty general

I wonder what page 72 says for the "Special operating conditions"

I am sure it lists things that the car will never be able to do....

Originally Posted by elite7
In terms of the sample fluid i dont think its possible without changing the fluid. Its sealed and there is no dipstick. You would probably have to start taking it apart in order to do this.
Then how do they inspect the fluid?

I am pretty sure they are not even looking at it and just charging you.

That is what I had happen to my Dads LS430,I am not sure if they check the PS fluid at 60k but his was black. If they would of inspected it, they would advise of a change. So again I would take a look yourself at fluids. Your ATF might very well be dark/black but Lexus says its good. If your warranty is up it does not really matter to them.

Also not to mention, you cannot inspect Differential oil with out draining it.

The Maintenance guide is just a guide to keep you in warranty it might not be the very best

Last edited by tsslaporte; 09-21-10 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-21-10, 10:05 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Smile

In terms of the sample fluid i dont think its possible without changing the fluid. Its sealed and there is no dipstick. You would probably have to start taking it apart in order to do this.

They dont tell you to not Inspect or Replace it for no reason.

Thats exactly what i'm saying.

If you choose to run your own Maintenance Schedule be my guest.

I choose to run the Lexus Factory Maintenance Schedule.

I agree with you 100% Carnut.

If you guys dont want to believe in the Lexus Factory Maintenance Manual be my guest and schedule your own Maintenance.

Just dont be surprised once your transmission starts slipping and needs to be replaced.
I had a 1993 LS-400, and one day on the freeway I let off the gas, then when I got back on the accelerator, I felt the car "Shudder". I panicked, thinking the torque converter or transmission was going out. I went straight to my Lexus Tech's and told them to change the fluid and clean the filter. It never "Shuddered" again, and I changed the fluid regularly and drove the car to 149,000 miles. However, the newer LS-430 does not say to do that. So, I'll trust Lexus, the 1993 was many moons ago.
Old 09-21-10, 10:06 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

All things said, I think most of the opinions offered are correct. The problem is that we can't seem to quantify the differences. For instance, it doesn't appear that there is data to show much longer a transmission will last if the fluid is replaced (or how frequent it should be replaced). It might be twice as long, three times as long, or even only 1000 miles longer. We just don't know.

Consequently, I think everyone should do what "they" are comfortable with and respect others opinions. There's not enough data available to answer the question.

As for me, I will let my dealer conduct the required inspections during scheduled maintenances and deal with the results at that time.
Old 09-21-10, 10:18 AM
elite7
Driver

Then how do they inspect the fluid?

I am pretty sure they are not even looking at it and just charging you.

That is what I had happen to my Dads LS430,I am not sure if they check the PS fluid at 60k but his was black. If they would of inspected it, they would advise of a change. So again I would take a look yourself at fluids. Your ATF might very well be dark/black but Lexus says its good. If your warranty is up it does not really matter to them.

Also not to mention, you cannot inspect Differential oil with out draining it.

The Maintenance guide is just a guide to keep you in warranty it might not be the very best
You dont inspect the fluid. You arent supposed to touch it. If you were supposed to they would have a dipstick. I mentioned i dont think you can inspect the transmission fluid without draining it not differential oil.

Normally they will not change the transmission fluid unless you insist for them to. Like i said is just asking for trouble. There is no need to inspect or replace it otherwise it would tell you to do so in the Lexus Factory Maintenance Manual.

It says in terms of the Maintenance Manual:

"It includes factory-recommended maintenance guidelines as well as logs in which to document your
vehicle’s maintenance history. In addition to scheduled maintenance, your Lexusm requires ongoing general maintenance such as fluid checks and visual inspections. These procedures are described in the “Maintenance” section of the Owner’s Manual. With proper maintenance and care, your vehicle will last longer and deliver more dependable, economical performance. Follow this booklet’s recommendations and you’ll enjoy maximum reliability and peace of mind from your Lexus for many years to come."

Note they say with proper maintenance and care, your vehicle will last longer.

Changing transmission fluid is not proper maintenance and care. Leaving it alone unless its leaking or your transmission needs repair is proper maintenance and care.

In terms of people who still have warranty or the platinum warranty:

"Lexus will not deny a warranty claim solely because you do not have records to show that you maintained
your vehicle. However, damage or failures caused by lack of proper maintenance are not covered under
warranty. Maintenance and repair services may be performed by you or by any automotive service provider you choose. Lexus will not deny a warranty claim solely because you used a service provider other than a Lexus dealership for maintenance and repairs. However, damage or failures caused by improper maintenance or repairs are not covered under warranty."

If your transmission ends up slipping because you had them change the transmission fluid you are on your own because thats not proper maintenance.

It doesnt say anywhere to Inspect let alone Replace your transmission fluid.

Its just like in the Manual it tells you use Premium Unleaded fuel only.

You can do what you want and pump worse fuel but your car is going to run like trash. I'm positive some members on this forum aren't pumping premium unleaded fuel.

In the manual it states:

"Use of unleaded fuel with an octane number or rating lower than stated above will cause persistent heavy knocking. If severe, this will lead to engine damage."

The manual shows how to check Engine oil level which is supposed to be done. Again please show me where it shows you in the manual how to check transmission fluid level?

You wont find it because you arent supposed to change it unless it is leaking or requires repair. Usually that scenario will happen if your car has been involved in some type of heavy collision/accident. In that case you have much bigger problems and the car is usually totaled out rather than repaired.

Last edited by elite7; 09-21-10 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-21-10, 10:28 AM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Christ, my poor thread has devolved into absolute lunacy. I would prefer the mods just close this as it is going no where.
Old 09-21-10, 10:41 AM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

You dont inspect the fluid. You arent supposed to touch it. If you were supposed to they would have a dipstick. I mentioned i dont think you can inspect the transmission fluid without draining it not differential oil.
Check the pictures you posted, it says to inspect. But you cannot inspect it since its a sealed system right? They also say to change it but only under "Special operations" So they are telling you, you can change it. but only when you do something special?

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
Christ, my poor thread has devolved into absolute lunacy. I would prefer the mods just close this as it is going no where.
Old 09-21-10, 10:48 AM
elite7
Driver

Check the pictures you posted, it says to inspect. But you cannot inspect it since its a sealed system right? They also say to change it but only under "Special operations" So they are telling you, you can change it. but only when you do something special?

Double check the pictures it doesnt say anywhere to inspect the transmission fluid. Thats only for the IS, ES, GS models.

In the LS430 manual it states: Note: On the LS 430, the transmission and transmission fluid are a completely sealed unit. Therefore, periodic checks and replacement of the transmission fluid are not required, and there is no dipstick on this transmission.

You just look to make sure its not leaking but thats it. If its leaking you would have to check the level and replace the fluid. But that doesnt happen like i said unless the car's been in a major collision which usually the car will be totaled out.
Old 09-21-10, 10:52 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Normally they will not change the transmission fluid unless you insist for them to. Like i said is just asking for trouble. There is no need to inspect or replace it otherwise it would tell you to do so in the Lexus Factory Maintenance Manual.

It says in terms of the Maintenance Manual:

"It includes factory-recommended maintenance guidelines as well as logs in which to document your
vehicle’s maintenance history. In addition to scheduled maintenance, your Lexus requires ongoing general maintenance such as fluid checks and visual inspections. These procedures are described in the “Maintenance” section of the Owner’s Manual. With proper maintenance and care, your vehicle will last longer and deliver more dependable, economical performance. Follow this booklet’s recommendations and you’ll enjoy maximum reliability and peace of mind from your Lexus for many years to come."

Note they say with proper maintenance and care, your vehicle will last longer.

Changing transmission fluid is not proper maintenance and care. Leaving it alone unless its leaking or your transmission needs repair is proper maintenance and care.

In terms of people who still have warranty or the platinum warranty:

"Lexus will not deny a warranty claim solely because you do not have records to show that you maintained
your vehicle. However, damage or failures caused by lack of proper maintenance are not covered under
warranty. Maintenance and repair services may be performed by you or by any automotive service provider you choose. Lexus will not deny a warranty claim solely because you used a service provider other than a Lexus dealership for maintenance and repairs. However, damage or failures caused by improper maintenance or repairs are not covered under warranty."

If your transmission ends up slipping because you had them change the transmission fluid you are on your own because thats not proper maintenance.

It doesn't say anywhere to Inspect let alone Replace your transmission fluid.

Its just like in the Manual it tells you use Premium Unleaded fuel only.

You can do what you want and pump worse fuel but your car is going to run like trash. I'm positive some members on this forum aren't pumping premium unleaded fuel.

In the manual it states:

"Use of unleaded fuel with an octane number or rating lower than stated above will cause persistent heavy knocking. If severe, this will lead to engine damage."

The manual shows how to check Engine oil level which is supposed to be done. Again please show me where it shows you in the manual how to check transmission fluid level?

You wont find it because you aren't supposed to change it unless it is leaking or requires repair. Usually that scenario will happen if your car has been involved in some type of heavy collision/accident. In that case you have much bigger problems and the car is usually totaled out rather than repaired.
Now, here is an IGNORANT statement. I have had five (5) Lexus cars, all saying use "Premium" fuel. I have always used Regular Unleaded and NEVER, NEVER had a knock. The newer computerized cars take care of pre-ignition and you WILL NOT ever hear a "Knock" in your Lexus. There again, THROW AWAY YOUR MONEY ! My cars run like tops, and I've never heard a "Knock".

I've read too many EXPERTS' opinions on Premium Fuel, and they say "You are NOT giving your car a 'treat' if you give it Premium Fuel". They go on to say, "If you do hear a knock, go to the "Mid-Grade" fuel and see what happens". I've never even had to do that............REGULAR UNLEADED IS GREAT IN ANY LEXUS.

Too many ignorant posts on here. Do with YOUR car as you wish, and I'll do with mine as I wish. I've had five (5) LS and GS-430 cars, and NOT ONE ever had a "Break-Down" for ANY reason.
Old 09-21-10, 11:15 AM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Now, here is an IGNORANT statement. I have had five (5) Lexus cars, all saying use "Premium" fuel. I have always used Regular Unleaded and NEVER, NEVER had a knock. The newer computerized cars take care of pre-ignition and you WILL NOT ever hear a "Knock" in your Lexus. There again, THROW AWAY YOUR MONEY ! My cars run like tops, and I've never heard a "Knock".

I've read too many EXPERTS' opinions on Premium Fuel, and they say "You are NOT giving your car a 'treat' if you give it Premium Fuel". They go on to say, "If you do hear a knock, go to the "Mid-Grade" fuel and see what happens". I've never even had to do that............REGULAR UNLEADED IS GREAT IN ANY LEXUS.

Too many ignorant posts on here. Do with YOUR car as you wish, and I'll do with mine as I wish. I've had five (5) LS and GS-430 cars, and NOT ONE ever had a "Break-Down" for ANY reason.
I really don't want this thread to go down yet another entirely unrelated path, but I feel I must respond to this. And well, this thread is shot to sheet by now anyway.

Modern vehicles have knock sensors which, in conjunction with the ECU, WILL retard timing when you use any fuel octane level below the recommended number (detonation and audible knock will occur in older vehicles without knock sensors). In the short term, this causes nothing but a small degradation in performance. However, a SMALL amount of detonation WILL still occur BEFORE the computer has the opportunity to retard the timing. Over a number of years, this detonation DOES cause irreversable damage to the engine that can eventually result in a replacement or full rebuild of the motor.

So, if you are the kind of person who typically trades in your car or doesn't keep it very long, then it is of little concern. But if you are the "keep it til the wheels off" kind of driver, I do NOT recommend using lower than recommended octane in your car for any length of time. Not only that, but the "deal" you think you are getting by filling your Premium fueled vehicle with regular fuel, is pretty much pissed away in the potential fuel economy losses brought about by the retarded engine timing.

But really, the ages old forum adage applies here... If you can afford to buy a Lexus, shouldn't you be able to afford the tank of premium fuel for it?

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 09-21-10 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-21-10, 11:17 AM
elite7
Driver

I tried a little of regular fuel in my LS 430 and mine didn't knock but i didnt like how it ran. I had less power at the accelerator and the car felt more jerky. The engine is designed to work with premium fuel.

To me its worth the extra 10-20 cents per gallon to use the proper fuel.

Says in the manual to put premium fuel so thats what i'm putting. I follow what the manual says. Just like some people are using regular oil im using synthetic oil.

I'll use regular fuel in my engine before i change the transmission fluid though .

But really, the ages old forum adage applies here... If you can afford to by a Lexus, shouldn't you be able to afford the tank of premium fuel for it?

I agree. Its really only $2 to $3 difference to pump a full tank of premium or a full tank of regular so there really isnt a savings unless you are driving lets say 25,000+ miles a year.

Last edited by elite7; 09-21-10 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-21-10, 11:25 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

I really don't want this thread to go down yet another entirely unrelated path, but I feel I must respond to this. And well, this thread is shot to sheet by now anyway.

Modern vehicles have knock sensors which, in conjunction with the ECU, WILL retard timing when you use any fuel octane level below the recommended number. In the short term, this causes nothing but a small degradation in performance. However, a SMALL amount of detonation WILL still occur BEFORE the computer has the opportunity to retard the timing. Over a number of years, this detonation DOES cause irreversable damage to the engine that can eventually result in a replacement or full rebuild of the motor.

So, if you are the kind of person who typically trades in your car or doesn't keep it very long, then it is of little concern. But if you are the "keep it til the wheels off" kind of driver, I do NOT recommend using lower than recommended octane in your car for any length of time. Not only that, but the "deal" you think you are getting by filling your Premium fueled vehicle with regular fuel, is pretty much pissed away in the potential fuel economy losses brought about by the retarded engine timing.

But really, the ages old forum adage applies here... If you can afford to by a Lexus, shouldn't you be able to afford the tank of premium fuel for it?
I"ve used Regular Unleaded up to 149,000 miles, and never an issue. I'm not out drag racing however. It purs like a kitten and I have never had any problem with Regular Unleaded.

As the old saying goes, "If you can afford to drive a Lexus, shouldn't you be able to pay for repairs to it if necessary" ?
Old 09-21-10, 11:27 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

I"ve used Regular Unleaded up to 149,000 miles, and never an issue. I'm not out drag racing however. It purs like a kitten and I have never had any problem with Regular Unleaded.

As the old saying goes, "If you can afford to drive a Lexus, shouldn't you be able to pay for repairs to it if necessary" ?
The "Proof in the Pudding" is if Five (5) V-8 Lexus cars made it past 100K with Regular Unleaded, you have no Defense......so move to the next topic.

Quick Reply: 60,000 Mile Service - Transmission