LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

05 LS430 CL - 10K Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-10, 05:13 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 05 LS430 CL - 10K Review

I started driving my Custom Luxury 05 LS430 at the end of March, with 30.5K miles, and now, 5 months later, I have 40.5K miles on the car. I am very pleased with the car as it is far-and-away the best vehicle I've ever owned / leased. Some observations, in no particular order:

- The only unplanned expense was replacement of the steering column retract motor for about $600. I had the auto-retract feature disabled before the failure and I didn't really need to have the item fixed since I am the only driver.

- I am very glad I held out for a CL in my target exterior and interior colors. I really like flint mica, but I'm sure my second choice, silver / black would have been great if I would have found one like that.

- I had my doubts about seat comfort at first. The problem was that the lower seat cushion was all the way back. Once extended, I found the sweet spot.

- The bluetooth is so-so. I don't use it much, but the limited use while in motion is a PITA. Since I upgraded my nav, I can't use the bypass. I need to program some numbers into the frequent call buttons so I can access them while in motion.

- No one believes the car is 5 years old.

- Back seat passengers love it there.

- I love the large trunk.

- I have learned to appreciate the door and trunk closers.

- I was concerned about noise from the Goodyear Eagle RSAs the dealer put on the car. It's been OK so far, but I noticed the noise is up after the latest tire rotation.

- I love the powertrain.

- Average mileage per the dash display has been 24.4 MPG for months. I drive about 80%+ highway. On some tanks I get an average of 25 MPG.

Since I picked up a winter driver, I'll only be driving the LS on nice days with no salt during the winter months. I suspect my average annual mileage will be about 22K. I'll report back after a full year on the road.
Old 08-25-10, 05:25 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

That's impressive fuel economy. The best I've been able to muster in 400 miles from Wichita to Saint Louis so far (with a bad wheel bearing) is 22.3-23.
Old 08-25-10, 05:29 PM
99navette
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got almost 500 miles out of my ls430 driving interstate and alittle city on vacation. i think it said 27-28mpg
Old 08-25-10, 06:23 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 286 Likes on 240 Posts

It is amazing how most people think our cars are newer than they actually are.
Old 08-25-10, 06:30 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
It is amazing how most people think our cars are newer than they actually are.
Bingo. That's one BIG reason this model was at the top of my list, along with the Jaguar XJ... Another absolute bargain in the used car world that looks the same as the 2009/2010 version. The LS won because it was more readily available though.
Old 08-25-10, 07:05 PM
hoonunya
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caddyowner
- I am very glad I held out for a CL ....
i also have a 2005 CL and love it.
I got mine 18 months ago when it had 8200 miles on it. It now has almost 34k. I just replaced the Dunlops with Primacys. That and scheduled maint is all I've needed to do.
I agree with everything you said except my bluetooth works fine. I wanted to keep the bypass so I'll live with the missing POI's. (We have a Garmin for supplemental info when necessary.)
i also like the laminated side glass but you didn't mention my favorite add-on, the laser cruise control. It takes some getting used to, but I LOVE IT.
My display almost always says 23.4mpg per tank but it has gotten over 26 on trips.
Great car and I like my "different" blsck/saddle combination. It is still flawless. This is a 5 year old car, and I obsessively avoid parking near other people's car doors as I want it to stay new.
Old 08-25-10, 07:17 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hoonunya
... you didn't mention my favorite add-on, the laser cruise control...
I agree 100%. I knew there were things I missed because the car is just such a great, complete package. I crack a smile every time I open the door.
Old 08-25-10, 07:55 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great to hear you guys are enjoying your cars so much! Have fun with your treasures. How does the V8 pull? Definitely sounds potent at 320 ft/lbs torque. Matches the 0-60 with my 3 series, which is a good 4-500 lbs lighter!
Old 08-25-10, 08:19 PM
Ron10346
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hoonunya
i also have a 2005 CL and love it.
I got mine 18 months ago when it had 8200 miles on it. It now has almost 34k. I just replaced the Dunlops with Primacys. That and scheduled maint is all I've needed to do.
I agree with everything you said except my bluetooth works fine. I wanted to keep the bypass so I'll live with the missing POI's. (We have a Garmin for supplemental info when necessary.)
i also like the laminated side glass but you didn't mention my favorite add-on, the laser cruise control. It takes some getting used to, but I LOVE IT.
My display almost always says 23.4mpg per tank but it has gotten over 26 on trips.
Great car and I like my "different" blsck/saddle combination. It is still flawless. This is a 5 year old car, and I obsessively avoid parking near other people's car doors as I want it to stay new.
Hoonunya,
You just wrote my exact response except mine is silver with beige interior. Put the Primacy's on today... Love them over the Dunlop’s, went for a long drive...very nice. I have had several drivers honk at stop lights and ask me the year and make of the car... All impressed a 2005 can look so good.
Attached Thumbnails 05 LS430 CL - 10K Review-hoopty1.jpg  
Old 08-26-10, 04:29 AM
hoonunya
Pit Crew

Looks great.
I like your wheels much better than mine but mine had the stock 17's; however I prefer 17's for the softer ride.
I was happy with my MXV4's when I got them but it has gotten even better after they've gotten some miles on them. Others have said that they are better after first 500 miles. I found that to be true.
Only think I've done is add the 35% tint. I'm very glad I did that as it improves appearance of car and makes it cooler inside and less glare looking out.
Old 08-26-10, 05:13 AM
Jabberwock

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Nice review - I have put about 10k on mine in a year of ownership also (14 K to 25K). Love the car especially the power train. The V8 is so smooth and for puttering around town it loafs along - feels like its not even running. Love the long frictionless coasts. great gas milage.

Then on expressway on ramps, or when i need to pass quickly on a 2 lane, I put my foot into it, and the V8 comes on line and pulls like a scalded dog. Its like engaging warp drive....no fuss, no drama - you're just flying.
Old 08-26-10, 06:36 AM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice write up Caddy. I couldn't agree more. I have had my 04 about the same amount time as you have had yours. The first thing my boss asked me when I pulled up to work was "is that a '10?" My customers never believe me when I tell them it is an '04 that I paid $19k for. Definitely one of the finest cars around and certainly the best value. No regrets whatsoever!

one day driving from here to Austin I averaged almost 30 mpg but I typically read in the 17-18 range as i do mostly in town driving.
Old 08-26-10, 08:13 AM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

" I am very glad I held out for a CL in my target exterior and interior colors. I really like flint mica, but I'm sure my second choice, silver / black would have been great if I would have found one like that."

We're very furtunate in that we have one of each only my Silver has the CL Ecru interior w/ gray birdseye maple trim. Still think the Flint Mica / Black has got to be one of the best looking color combinations EVER , regardless of make or year !

Thx for the write-up -

Will and the Fur Crew
Old 08-26-10, 10:13 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

24-25 mpg is "average" ??? Dag... you're pulling an LS430, not a Hyndai Elantra. Most comparable year mid-sized sedans with V6 engines would kill to get 25 mpg.

The only issue I've had thus far is that the laser/radar cruise doesn't work in rain, guess the drops and rain interferes with the signal back. Other than that... flawless.
Old 08-26-10, 10:36 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
...The only issue I've had thus far is that the laser/radar cruise doesn't work in rain, guess the drops and rain interferes with the signal back. Other than that... flawless.
Just so you realize that it's designed to automatically disengage when the system detects rain by having the wipers on or when the automatic wipers reach a certain level.

Quick Reply: 05 LS430 CL - 10K Review