LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS 430: Hitting the gas pedal does not accelerate the car ( Time Delay )

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-10, 08:28 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation LS 430: Hitting the gas pedal does not accelerate the car ( Time Delay )

Hello guys,

A friend of mine owns an LS 430.

Whenever he hits the gas pedal the car does not accelerate immedietly
its takes more than 5 seconds in some cases.

He said ( when you hit the pedal you feel theres no fuel being circulated to the engine nothing then all of a sudden the car accelerates )

Things that he has done so far but with no luck:
Replaced Air & Fuel Filter
Cleaning the Injectors
Spark Plugs
Exhausts
Replaced Coils

Anyone faced the same issue before ?

All Suggestions/Solutions are welcomed

Thanx in advance.

Last edited by uae; 08-25-10 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-25-10, 08:32 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

What year LS430 and does ANYTHING happen when the gas pedal is depressed (engine revving etc.)?
Old 08-25-10, 08:39 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you clean the throttle body flap? They get gummed up with sticky carbon. After enough buildup, the flap won't open and the engine will throw a check engine code. Dealer will diagnose it as a bad throttle body (like $1K to replace) when all you need is a stainless brush and can of carb cleaner. My other guess would be a dirty mass airflow sensor between the air filter and throttle body.
Old 08-25-10, 08:41 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
What year LS430 and does ANYTHING happen when the gas pedal is depressed (engine revving etc.)?
Will Ask and get back to you.

Thanx
Old 08-25-10, 08:43 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Did you clean the throttle body flap? They get gummed up with sticky carbon. After enough buildup, the flap won't open and the engine will throw a check engine code. Dealer will diagnose it as a bad throttle body (like $1K to replace) when all you need is a stainless brush and can of carb cleaner. My other guess would be a dirty mass airflow sensor between the air filter and throttle body.
Thanx mate,

Isnt the throttle body flap same as cleaning the injectors ?
Old 08-25-10, 08:51 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by uae
Thanx mate,

Isnt the throttle body flap same as cleaning the injectors ?
Throttle body controls the amount of air fed into the engine, the injectors control the fuel spray.
Old 08-25-10, 09:00 PM
uae
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
Throttle body controls the amount of air fed into the engine, the injectors control the fuel spray.
Thanx for the clarification.

Will let you know what year as soon as i get a reply.

BEST
Old 08-26-10, 04:55 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Be sure the traction switch is not set to the snow setting.
Old 08-26-10, 05:11 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Be sure the traction switch is not set to the snow setting.
yeah that too ^ ^ ^

well you all know what i'm gonna say. the cheapest and 'sometimes' easiest fix which is what i do first and then if it doesn't help i look at all those other things, is to just reset it. unhook the negative battery terminal for 30 minutes than connect it back up. if it helps it was pretty much free, if not, well it was free and was worth a shot. makes my car faster for a couple weeks anyways. i notice when i drive like an old guy for a couple weeks straight that my car tends to accelerate like an old guy after a while too.
Old 08-26-10, 05:25 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Check your TPS sensor, also.
Old 08-26-10, 06:03 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and your pc load letter too, those can be tricky.

Old 08-26-10, 06:25 AM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you pulling out of somewhere when you notice this? Look at the display and see if your traction control light comes on when you see this lag. I notice this when I am pulling out of a street or a parking lot. It seems that the back end can lose traction and then (if you are accelerating quickly) you are pretty much screwed until the traction turns back off.... This causes exactly what you are describing.
Old 08-26-10, 07:37 AM
GeorgeT
Driver

The accelerator is "drive by wire" with no physical connection to the engine. There may be something electronic going bad.
Old 08-26-10, 07:49 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
I'm with Jim on this one, I'm picturing a sticky throttle body,that has sticky gunk along the edges, pretty much gluing the edges to the body, when the motor finally breaks it loose, the car accelerates. however, the more i think about it, if that were the case, wouldn't the car have a hard time slowing down too? let us know! keep us posted
Old 08-26-10, 08:02 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
I'm with Jim on this one, I'm picturing a sticky throttle body,that has sticky gunk along the edges, pretty much gluing the edges to the body, when the motor finally breaks it loose, the car accelerates. however, the more i think about it, if that were the case, wouldn't the car have a hard time slowing down too? let us know! keep us posted
No. The sticky carbon collects on the flap and in the TB where the flap sits when closed. The flap is also hinged at 3 and 9 o'clock, so it only contacts the TB when it's closed. I've had it stick shut on my old Toyota 4runner, especially just after engine startup (carbon was stickier when cold, I guess). I'd depress the accelerator...no response. Depress more. Nothing. More, then the TB flap would break free and fuel would flow into the TB. FYI, my toyota truck had a cabled accelerator, so no flap sensors to throw codes. The cable goes from the gas pedal to a spring on the side of the TB. When you depress the accelerator, it pulls the cable, which opens the TB flap and more fuel/air flow into the TB. With modern vehicles, it's the same, except the accelerator has a sensor that senses how much it's depressed. It sends the signal to a motor on the side of the TB, which opens the flap. Same principles, just more complicated and failure prone, IMHO (why would toyota change? to save $$?)

Disconnect the big pipe that goes from the airbox to the TB. You can now see the TB flap. Don't spray carb cleaner straight into the flap. With the engine off, you can gently push in the flap (it's hinged), spray some carb cleaner on a stainless toothbrush, and gently scrub the inside of the TB where it touches the flap. Be careful as the TB flap sensor is at 12 o'clock (at least on my LX), so I don't scrub that part. I then spray carb cleaner on a clean rag and wipe up the residue. Reintall the plumbing to the TB and you're good to go.

According to a Toyota mechanic who used to maintain my truck (started his own shop), you should do this every 30K miles. I did it on my wife's LX at 60K mi (first time) and there was some buildup. I repeated it at 90K mi and there was only a tiny bit of buildup. My old toyota truck had 120K mi before it was done.

Quick Reply: LS 430: Hitting the gas pedal does not accelerate the car ( Time Delay )