LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430
View Poll Results: What Will CarGuy Buy Today?
Silver LS430 in Northwest Indiana
9.09%
Flint Mica LS430 in Illinois
18.18%
Another LS430
4.55%
A car other than a LS430
13.64%
He'll eventually buy a LS430, but not today
22.73%
Nothing - he's just a troll yanking our collective chains
31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

What Will CarGuy Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-10, 11:14 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What Will CarGuy Buy?

Since we don't seem to be getting realtime posts from the road from him, lets have a poll of what we think CarGuy will buy (or not buy) today.
Old 08-26-10, 12:39 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lowest mileage one would be my bet..I still voted for :

Old 08-26-10, 01:27 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The last option in the poll is great! I might have chosen it if he hadn't already sold his beemer... I vote for the Mica in Illinois...
Old 08-26-10, 01:54 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, the results are all a dead heat right now! I think he'll go for the Flint Mica.

Actually, the fact that we haven't seen a post from him all day is a good sign he's at least looking at the cars, and not a chain yanker.
Old 08-26-10, 05:48 PM
Jabberwock

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Can't resist voting for the troll category - it was just too funny to avoid. Seriously I wish him good hunting on his LS search ....like the saying goes ....pimping ain't easy.
Old 08-26-10, 05:59 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn...you guys got me. I am in fact a troll....lol jk.
For those of you who guessed the Silver one in IN, you are in fact...WRONG!
So I talk to my parents and grandfather last night about the other low mileage car in IL and they proposed that we head down to IN first, and then loop up to IL. So I call the IN dealer halfway through and they said "sorry, car is sold". I was actually pretty glad, as I the low mile flint mica was my first choice. All we had to do was get there and check it out.

Pulling into the dealership, the car caught my eye immediately. It was absolutely stunning . Extremely clean car. Only some cosmetic flaws, which were on the front and rear bumpers. Dealer promised to have their best paint guys give both bumpers a full respray!

Then, the moment of truth: the test drive. I get inside, car has smartkey! Huge plus as I wasn't expecting it to. I turn the ignition, but I don't feel anything. Then the dash light flickers on. I have to check a few times to see if the engine is running...that's how smooth and quiet it was. Looking around the interior, no rips or tears in the leather, a small scuff on the dash, but great shape overall. Then, I headed out on the road. Man, this car rode better and was quieter than the one that I last test drove. It glided over every bump. I did notice a slight squeaking from the window, which is probably that door seal problem (no worries, already bought the recommended product Sonus or w/e). Salesguy told me to floor it, test the engine/trans (since I was probably younger that just about all LS owners lol). I gave it firm stab and the car just leaps forward! I was shocked at the how good the engine pulls (we had me and my grandfather up front, my mom, dad, and salesman in the back). The trans shifted ultra smooth, even near redline. I glance down and I'm doing 65, but it was no louder than the 35 I was doing earlier.

At this point, I am completely sold on the car. Coming from a 3 series, I was worried that the driving experience might be a bit dull, but it really isn't. The steering is very precise with a good weight. The ride is just sublime and the car feels much more solid than my 3 did. The salesguy was awesome! He showed me the that each door and panel still had the same VIN sticker attached. This left me at ease that the car has never been in an accident. Just bumper scrapes from an elderly driver most likely.

Last part: pricing. I lied to him and told him that I checked out another nice example earlier and that I was going to make my decision today. I asked for his best price. He couldn't come down too much, but I figured that such a clean, low mile, accident free car doesn't come around everyday. That, and school starts next Wednesday and I will need to drive back. Well we ended up on 25.2k with CPO. Pricey for a 6 yr old car, yes, but you can't buy this level of excellence elsewhere. In the end, I was absolutely thrilled! Car was pristine and I got it for within my assigned budget.

I would like to give a special thanks to all the members who contributed to my thread. Your input and suggestions were tremendously valuable and allowed me to buy the perfect car. I would also like to thank my grandfather (who is generously financing me) and my parents (who agreed to such a trip and pays insurance).

Specs:
04 Flint Mica on black leather, 25k miles, CPO, modern luxury, near-mint condition purchased for 25.2k. Will make one hell of a sweet ride.

Of course, none of you would believe me without pics, so here they are. Will also be including some with my "old" 328i. I am very thankful that I have had the privilege of experience such awesome cars at a young age. I do take very good care of all my cars though, so don't worry about that. I am also a pretty safe driver, my parent's think I go too slowly sometimes

My soon-to-be ride and my previous ride:
Attached Thumbnails What Will CarGuy Buy?-061.jpg   What Will CarGuy Buy?-062.jpg   What Will CarGuy Buy?-049.jpg   What Will CarGuy Buy?-041.jpg   What Will CarGuy Buy?-027.jpg  

Old 08-26-10, 06:04 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

I must add rofl with the troll bit, nice touch

EDIT: I did try to post on my way back. I did just about all the driving today, including the tricky Chicago bits. I had a close call as I was admiring the city from afar. My family runs AT&T, which is mediocre. I have an iphone 3GS which is notorious for weak signal connection, so I was on edge the entire time...I guess 3G is only in certain areas? I tried to post but figured I would need pics or else...lol

Last edited by CarGuy89; 08-26-10 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-26-10, 06:11 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on your find. When do you pick it up?

BTW, that shot of your car in downtown Lansing is across the street from one of my clients.
Old 08-26-10, 06:26 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're moving on up Mr. Jefferson... congrats.
Old 08-26-10, 06:32 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You did good kid(I'm a kid too but I'm going to talk like I'm much older)...real good!

Congrats!!!!

I'm just trying to figure a way to rig this voting system ...so I may vote twice...

Yes we can!
Old 08-26-10, 06:42 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

thanks guys!! I am glad there was a lot of push for this one last night.

@Caddyowner: Car will have fresh bumpers ready by friday, gotta make sure the check clears, car should be detailed and done by saturday. And yes that is the Lansing capitol building, very pretty. If only more of Lansing were like this lol. I volunteered at a hospital in a not-so-good area, Ingham Hospital (the staff is awesome, but just location is kind, ehh. They treat me well and let me see surgeries). I always drove like a perfect gentlemen in my 3 there but got a lot of dirty looks. They're not gonna like this one either...lol. I get covered structure parking where staff parks, so not as bad (plus no one really sees me get out anyways).

@AlexusAnja: Oh yeah! I felt like a million bucks behind the wheel of that car!

@lexuslspro: Thanks! It's fine, I was actually expecting much distaste towards my age, but everyone on here is quite mature about it. How is your 400 running? Looks really clean.
Old 08-26-10, 07:10 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

In a few years I can envision that car with MD plates on it!
Old 08-26-10, 07:17 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice find enjoy your new baby.
Old 08-26-10, 07:29 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

@JimsGX: I hope you find one that you absolutely love. I was absolutely sold on the car the moment I laid eyes on it lol.

@GLIDESUL: Thanks, definitely will. I babied my 3 like crazy, so the same will be applied to this beauty. It still hasn't completely hit me that I have such an amazing new car...lol
Old 08-26-10, 07:40 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=CarGuy89;5744663]@JimsGX: I hope you find one that you absolutely love. I was absolutely sold on the car the moment I laid eyes on it lol.

I'm not searching... In this case, MD doesn't mean "Maryland", Dr. CarGuy...

Here's mine...
Attached Thumbnails What Will CarGuy Buy?-img_0895.jpg  

Quick Reply: What Will CarGuy Buy?