LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Philips cassette adapter for iPod - quality is a nice surprise

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-10, 12:19 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

I got the ToyPD2 product in the mail today. It arrived pretty poorly packaged. It had some scuffs and scratches on the case and a manufacture date code of July 2008. So I called customer service at iPodCarPros just to make sure it was a new unit. The customer service guy I spoke with was immediately condescending and displayed remarkably bad attitude. He told me they buy the units in bulk and that they get scratched and scuffed and that's just the way it is. And besides what did I expect for the discounted price.

I told him I called just to make sure the product was new so that I did not install a broken or returned interface on my car by mistake and potentially damage the radio or electronics. His reply was that if I damaged the car's electronics it would be entirely my fault.

All in all this was good example of laughably terrible customer service that did not need to be. A little smarts and decent attitude and the call could have gone way better. This guy is either poorly trained or he needs to get fired. At this point, I already regret my decision to buy from iPodCarPros. If I have a real problem down the line with the interface, I would hate to have to deal with them.

I may just return the unit and not even bother installing it. I will keep the board posted.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 09-09-10 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-09-10, 03:12 PM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine arrived today too; their shipping was prompt. As was Jabber's, mine wasn't packaged well at all. It was loose in a (very small) box, though the box was sturdy enough, it was in there snugly, and the cables around it offered some protection. Fortunately my box looked to have been well treated by the USPS, but they really should have packed it better.

It too has a late July '08 manufacture date. It's definitely a VAIS unit, but has a Soundgate sticker on it and is running a Soundgate-branded firmware (4.42). There was a photocopied manual. I guess that is somewhat to be expected if their claim is true about getting units in bulk and the price was crazy ($81 shipped), but it would have been nice to have been told what to expect first and is no excuse for poor customer service.

All that said, I installed the unit and it seems to work fine. Install was straightforward, identical of course to the VAIS install already so well documented here. I put mine in the glovebox, and to see where to route the cable I illuminated the bottom of the passenger footwell area while looking through the dash (after removing the passenger trim piece under the glovebox). It was then easy to get the cable to the head unit; I didn't even need any tools for that, it's a straight shot. For the cable entry into the glovebox, I used the existing opening through which one accesses the air filter and just dremeled a small rounded cutout at the bottom of its cover to match the shape of the cable, yielding a very clean install.

The sound is excellent, though so was the sound from the Philips adapter. I A/B'd them a bit, and there's honestly not a lot of difference - a bit clearer and more extension with this unit, but the Philips adapter is still no slouch, and relatively pleasing. The convenience of the Soundgate/VAIS is really nice though, and the reason I went ahead and pulled the trigger: not to worry about cables or hiding the iPod, having control from the head unit/steering wheel, getting charging, etc. are all big wins. I hope it serves me well.

Having to deal with playlists, as must be done with all these pre-MP3-deck adapters, is a pain. I really don't want to litter up my iTunes or iPod with a billion playlists just to get most of my music readily accessible, but it's a necessary evil due to how the emulation works. I'm sure I'll adapt, but you really can't call this "having access to all your music in your iPod" in practice because if what you want to listen to isn't in a playlist, you're kind of out of luck - you CAN get to it, but you have to put the unit in "Simple mode", (a pain), and then operate the iPod manually (another pain). Really if you want to access any arbitrary song on the iPod and that's a big deal to you, you're actually better off in that regard with the cassette adapter, as it's always in "simple mode".

Last edited by thinkin; 09-09-10 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-09-10, 05:45 PM
thinkin
Pole Position

One thing I forgot to add for the Soundgate: The addendum on Lexus MD emulation instructions (the manual doesn't cover programming for MD) is missing a step: after turning the key back off after the beep sequence with both switches down, you have to put the switches BACK UP and then turn the key on again. This is clear in the CD emulation programming in the manual, but the step is omitted in the addendum page which initially caused me a bit of confusion.
Old 09-09-10, 08:23 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by thinkin
One thing I forgot to add for the Soundgate: The addendum on Lexus MD emulation instructions (the manual doesn't cover programming for MD) is missing a step: after turning the key back off after the beep sequence with both switches down, you have to put the switches BACK UP and then turn the key on again. This is clear in the CD emulation programming in the manual, but the step is omitted in the addendum page which initially caused me a bit of confusion.
Thanks for the update - very helpful - that's what makes this board so great. I will likely install over the weekend. Today we had our three furnaces and corresponding outside air con units replaced at my house - 14 hours with no air cond in Texas was no fun.
Old 09-09-10, 10:08 PM
thinkin
Pole Position

The plot thickens! I found this thread on the Soundgate in the GS forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...te-toypd2.html

It looks like there was a spat between Vais and Soundgate:

Originally Posted by VaisTech
Hi Everyone!

Soundgate used to distribute our products, but since Soundgate is going away they are selling everything they have in complete violation to our terms. Units they sell don't have warranty from Soundgate and ToyPD2 units WILL NOT be warrantied by VAIS Technology.

Also firmware version number offered by Soundgate for ToyPD2 corresponds to VAIS firmware number 4.43, which was discontinued by VAIS in July of 2008, and it doesn't support 5th Gen expanded browsing.

Soundgate/Kicker is placed on the unauthorized dealers list of VAIS Technology products.
So Soundgate went under/stopped distributing these, and there was a glut of them that mp3carpros (and others?) bought up. They are definitely the same unit as VAIS, minus later firmware (which it seems doesn't matter with our Gen 3/4). VAIS just doesn't want anyone bothering them for warranty work, and they seem peeved about the whole situation; understandable, as these are just older stock of the same units that cost way more $$$ being sold very cheaply. Warranty would be either through Kicker/Soundgate or the mp3carpro people, for what that's worth.

mp3carpro/ipodcarpros do seem to be straight up about the differences between this unit and the later firmware VAIS, as they describe here:

http://www.mp3carpros.com/information.php?info_id=9

By the way, here's a PDF of the photocopied manual I received for the Soundgate:

http://uniqtechnology.com/Documents/...n%20manual.pdf
Old 09-10-10, 01:59 AM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm out of town right now but I guess this means mine should be waiting for me at home. Curiously, I only paid 75.00 so I suppose you guys elected the "Standard UPS" option or whatever it was for 6.00.

EDIT: Actually it appears mine was delivered September 7th, guess its at the apartment office or the post office.

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 09-10-10 at 02:11 AM.
Old 09-10-10, 02:00 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just purchased this adapter for s**** and giggles, and I am highly impressed with the sound quality. Even if this lasts me a year, I'll be satisfied.

Thank you for the recommendation.
Old 09-10-10, 02:36 AM
FinnLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Which Ipod/Iphone you guys are using with the TOYPD2 ?
Since I have IPhone 3GS with iOS 4 and the firmware is the old one
just wondering if it will work.

Does anyone know if you can update the thing if you order the USB interface
from VaisTech. I assume it should work if the hardware is indentical to Sl2iup.
Old 09-10-10, 05:59 AM
thinkin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FinnLS
Which Ipod/Iphone you guys are using with the TOYPD2 ?
Since I have IPhone 3GS with iOS 4 and the firmware is the old one
just wondering if it will work.

Does anyone know if you can update the thing if you order the USB interface
from VaisTech. I assume it should work if the hardware is indentical to Sl2iup.
The iPhone 3/3gs is listed on the compabitility chart. I don't think any changes have been made recently to the iPhone control/audio interface, so I'd assume the iPhone 4 and latest iPods also work just fine but can't be sure. The big change from Apple was the switch to 5v from 12v charging in the iPhone and later iPods, which this handles.

About the firmware, see this thread:

http://www.vaistech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=987

So you apparently can update the firmware with the VAIS-branded later one. The programming port is there, though taped off. I don't think it'd have any value in the LS430 though, as the main difference seems to be getting browsing enhanced with the later generation MP3 stereo/NAV that no LS430 has. There may have been bug fixes, though mine works just fine with a 5.5G iPod video, and the control interface is pretty standard and not something Apple messes with frequently.
Old 09-10-10, 06:23 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got mine yesterday. Amazing sound quality compared to my old tape/mp3/cd adapter. My old tape crackled while it played, this one is silent and smooth. I love it.

P.S. I also ordered some components for the front and a new kicker sub. Already have dynamat to do all doors and rear deck. I'll post up when I'm ready to install.
Old 09-10-10, 07:02 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Just a note on the cassette players: I found that when I cleaned the cassette player head in my LS400 & LS430, the sound quality got better. I used a Q-Tip dipped in isopropyl alcohol, held it with a pair of needle nose pliars, and a flashlight in the other hand. I cleaned the head on the cassette adapters while I was at it.

I figure most of these tape players have never been used, so it may be that there's some type of residue on the tape player head from manufacturing that would easily be removed by using an actual tape in the player, but still remains and stays on there when used with only the adapter.

I'd be curious to see if the sound quality improves for others after they clean it.
Old 09-10-10, 07:19 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
I got mine yesterday. Amazing sound quality compared to my old tape/mp3/cd adapter. My old tape crackled while it played, this one is silent and smooth. I love it.

P.S. I also ordered some components for the front and a new kicker sub. Already have dynamat to do all doors and rear deck. I'll post up when I'm ready to install.
I have an Orion 12" with a custom box in the back. I had to secure the license plate to avoid the rattle, but other than that, I didn't see the need to dynomat the trunk. What size and power are you putting in the back?
Old 09-10-10, 07:35 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I just bought the car both front speakers were blown and sub was dead. I replaced fronts with Infiniti reference 6.5" and sub with JL 8w0, I also put a kenwood 2 channel sub just for the sub because system was overheating and shutting off. But for awhile now rear deck rattles and sometimes front door covers rattle as well - drives me nuts. These Infiniti speakers are ok but almost no base, I bought Rockford forsgate components and kicker 8" 100w rms 8ohm sub for replacement. I'm planning on running the sub off stock ml amp and fronts off the kenwood amp. And I really want to get rid of that terrible rattle with dynamatt.
Old 09-10-10, 12:23 PM
Ears
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thinkin
The iPhone 3/3gs is listed on the compabitility chart. I don't think any changes have been made recently to the iPhone control/audio interface, so I'd assume the iPhone 4 and latest iPods also work just fine but can't be sure. The big change from Apple was the switch to 5v from 12v charging in the iPhone and later iPods, which this handles.

About the firmware, see this thread:

http://www.vaistech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=987

So you apparently can update the firmware with the VAIS-branded later one. The programming port is there, though taped off. I don't think it'd have any value in the LS430 though, as the main difference seems to be getting browsing enhanced with the later generation MP3 stereo/NAV that no LS430 has. There may have been bug fixes, though mine works just fine with a 5.5G iPod video, and the control interface is pretty standard and not something Apple messes with frequently.
A quick post for the cognoscenti...
I just received my Toypd2up and have not installed...yet. Does the Toypd2up also defeat the gps notice? I did not see it addressed in the documents supplied with the toypd2up, nor did I see addressed on how to enter simple mode.
Old 09-10-10, 07:19 PM
thinkin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ears
A quick post for the cognoscenti...
I just received my Toypd2up and have not installed...yet. Does the Toypd2up also defeat the gps notice? I did not see it addressed in the documents supplied with the toypd2up, nor did I see addressed on how to enter simple mode.
As far as I can tell, it does not defeat the nav notice. It would be nice if it did. The process to enter simple mode is on p. 11 of the PDF I linked above. I tried the sequence for the VAIS-branded unit to toggle the auto-agree and it didn't seem to do anything, alas.

Quick Reply: Philips cassette adapter for iPod - quality is a nice surprise