LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Is anyone else disappointed with the NAV

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-10, 08:38 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus NAV is fond of toll-roads ? Auto makers are getting desperate. They probably receive commission every time you take a toll-road due to its guidance.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

This is a joke by the way
Old 09-02-10, 10:14 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Holy smokes.. you were right, it was right there staring at me. I just never bothered to look in the past... when you put in your destination, it's on the first screen right after it figures it's 3 routes. It's on the screen that you hits for "3 route" so what I must have been doing was just hitting "3 route" once that screen came up and ignoring the whole option. Once it goes to the 3 options, the road option is gone.

All I had selected was "Allow for interstate" and that was it. I now allowed for everything except "Ferry' and loooooooooooooooow-n-behooooooooold, the quickets and shortest route to the place in south NJ is NEW JERSEY PARKWAY, est. 1.5 hours at 99 miles.

HOLY COW !!! Thank you other members for enlightening me. Now I might be able to say my LS430 is flawless...
duuuuude! Mine was all about route 1/9 too when I went though Jersey! I just took at look at mine this morning and mine was set with all freeways as the only selection. BAM! all good!! Yes- maybe my wife and I won't speak to the car anymore and call her names as we drive her interstate anymore with her old navigation manners. AWESOME!
Old 09-02-10, 08:05 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm two lights from the parkway, and I always wondered why going south it never has me take the parkway but rather always down secondary roads all the way to route 1&9 south. It just was so crazy to me, but I just thought it was crazy NAV. Now... it's beautiful NAV. Now I'm starting to think maybe I should take that manual out of the glovebox and read up on what other things I'm missing with this car.
Old 09-03-10, 07:41 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Navi isn't perfect, but it's good if your in a new/visiting city (you don't know) and you need to find resturants and POI's. Since your in a city you don't know, you don't know if it's giving you bad directions! haha. For the most part, it's just a guidance. If you know where your going, just go that way and eventually the Navi will pick it up (hopefully).
Old 09-03-10, 01:17 PM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use your iphone for navigating
Old 09-03-10, 03:47 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone know if our nav's or any nav for that matter will learn a new quickest route? Say one that we took on our own instead of one that was programmed for you to take. Can the this or any nav "remember"?
Old 09-03-10, 07:18 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Reverse Travel

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Anyone know if our nav's or any nav for that matter will learn a new quickest route? Say one that we took on our own instead of one that was programmed for you to take. Can the this or any nav "remember"?
Yes, there are NAV units with "reverse" or "bread crumb" features that basically travel in reverse of the route you just took from "a" to "b." Which units, I don't know but there are, just have to look at features of the units. I know when I was looking for my Nuvi 880 there were some with the feature already, but I was more important in the handsfree operation.
Old 09-04-10, 08:33 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a Garmin 1490T for my daughter and have it mounted below my screen for a few day test,, is a 5" screen,, excellent resolution and brighter with better colors than my screen,, very quick for any route calculation and direction,,

it does not split screen for an upcoming turn but the voice prompt is instruction you right up to the exact turn time,, I like the 3D way of displaying the map as well,,

is time for me to update my 2005 DVDs for the 430 but I doubt it will offer all this $200 Garmin does which is so friendly and easy to use,,

Derry
Old 09-05-10, 06:37 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default upgrade the maps

Originally Posted by CG lover
...is time for me to update my 2005 DVDs for the 430 but I doubt it will offer all this $200 Garmin does which is so friendly and easy to use,,

Derry
I don't think upgrading the DVD does anything but updates road and POI on the system. If nothing else, it "degrades" the system as once you've upgraded from 6.1 forward, the NAV override is gone.

I have version 4.1, it's fine for what it goes, get me in general area. I usually do a dry run and see if the NAV can find the address, if not, I print out a Google or Mapquest map of area and then bring that along to get me to the general area.