LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

question about the rear camber rods

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-10, 05:02 PM
bluerex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question about the rear camber rods

Hello everyone, i'm looking to add just a tiny bit more camber on my car.

current:

on air cups
slammed
lip of wheel barely rubs on the rear quarter panel
rear quarter panel already cut to the max.

so without pulling my fenders, i want to add just a bit of camber. i have searched and found that lexus sells these rear lateral camber rods. i guess there are three sizes 441.5mm, 446.5mm and 451.5mm.

our stock ones from what i gather are 446.5mm. from what i understand, the shorter 441 is meant to correct neg camber while the 451 is meant to add neg camber.

so my question is if i change to the 451mm size rods, how much more will it camber in and how will it effect the lip and the rear quarter panel?

this thread was where i found the info https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ar-camber.html

thanks
Old 09-03-10, 03:24 AM
teamplayer
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

The extra 5mm of length adds .75 gegress of negative camber. So just add .75 degress to what you currently have.

Just to give you an idea, I am currently on Tein CS (fully lowered down) and have the longger lower control links on the car. My rear camber is just under 4 degrees negative (something like 3.7 or so). My rear fenders lips have about 1/8th of in inch cut off of it.

I'd take pics to show but I'm currently on stocks. Once I get my wheels mounted I'll take some pics and post um.
Old 09-03-10, 05:29 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my guesstimations told me that when i put the shorter rods on to correct negative camber that i took away 5mm of space from that region, so in your case i would assume (ceteris parabus) that you would be adding 5mm of extra space.

to me degrees don't mean much cuz i can't visualize a degree per-se but i can visualize 5mm and that is about how much additional space you should gain by adding the longer arms. these rods seem to be real easy to install too so i was pleased with that.
Old 09-03-10, 11:09 AM
bluerex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sojah
my guesstimations told me that when i put the shorter rods on to correct negative camber that i took away 5mm of space from that region, so in your case i would assume (ceteris parabus) that you would be adding 5mm of extra space.

to me degrees don't mean much cuz i can't visualize a degree per-se but i can visualize 5mm and that is about how much additional space you should gain by adding the longer arms. these rods seem to be real easy to install too so i was pleased with that.
if that is true, i'm all set. i just need da little bit of clearance. so from what you are saying, after you put on the rod to correct the camber, it took the top of the wheels back out 5mm towards to top fender?
Old 09-03-10, 12:36 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i put the shorter rods on so it took away 5mm of clearance for me so i think if i imagine what your saying then yes that is what happened. so with the longer rods you should gain 5mm which should be more than enough to stop your scraping issues, but you will wear through the inner part of the tire a lot quicker so my best advice is to check the inner part of the rear tires frequently and before they get to bad make sure you take them off the back rims and swap the tires to the other back rim.
Old 09-06-10, 12:52 AM
teamplayer
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Also, get your car aligned as soon as you replace the lower link. The rear toe goes way out of spec and needs to be corrected.